Laserlyte versus Armalaser?

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories' started by imnotaper, May 11, 2009.

1. imnotaper

imnotaper XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello everyone, I am wondering about laser options for the XD-9 subcompact. I like the pistol's grip as is, so I may avoid Crimson Trace. Lasermax is not an option since my barrel is the newer style. The laser they make for the rail appears to be too long for the subcompact's available rail space.

The remaining options appear to be the Laserlyte S.C. V2 (Subcompact Version 2) http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-hs2k-sa-xd-talk/91752-laser-options-my-xds.html or the Armalaser KTKRSSXD Springfield XD Sub-compact RSS SPRINGFIELD XD SUB-COMPACT RSS - Springfield XD RSS by ArmaLaser Inc.

Any opinions? Thanks!

Steve

2. Crackerballer

Crackerballer XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    From what I read, Armalaser is chit. I ended up getting the X2L light/laser combo for my SC .40. I also looked at the crimson trace, which is a nice product since you don't have to worry about holster options.

Are you using the laser for HD, GP, or range shooting?

3. trailblazer

trailblazer XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just sent back my RSS (for an xd40sc). They have some good ideas and designs but for me the durability and longevity of their product was a concern. I am going to buy crimson trace it's more money but you get what you pay for.

4. jwild

jwild XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dude, I think that our 3" Subcompact XD's can still use the Lasermax.. There has been no style changes to the 3" guns, only the 4" and 5" afaik.

Read from lasermax site: Springfield Armory has released a new barrel lug configuration on their existing 4" and 5" XD line of handguns which mirrors the XDM.....

The warning about looking at your barrel doesn't even show up on the subcompact 3" lasermax information page. I'm looking at the lasermax too!

5. imnotaper

imnotaper XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It will be for home defense, although I will certainly practice with it at the range, too. Must be prepared!

Thanks for the information! I had not heard much about Armalaser. I looked at the Lasermax site but missed the fact that they are not talking about the 3" barrel.

6. rsallen13

rsallen13 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    +1 for the Crimson Trace. Don't rule it out as an option. Even though it wraps around the grip I barely notice mine.

7. BoostedGT2

BoostedGT2 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I like the armalaser on the PF9. Bright, fringer activation works well, and it stays zeroed.

8. Shyguy45

Shyguy45 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have relatively small hands and have an array of lasers and lights. I took a chance with the crimson tracer because none of them fit my XD40SC. After I put the crimson trace, I actually shot better. I loved the grip of the gun before, but it gave a small curve to the sides. I think it complemented the natural curve of your palm and fingers. Suggest you find one to try out.

9. BuellBoy

BuellBoy XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just got a XD .40 SC and a new Lasermax last week. I noticed the same thing on the Lasermax site, so I thought I was golden. The Lasermax does not appear to fit right, however. When assembled, I can't actuate the on/off switch - it freely clicks back and forth before assembly, but I can't get the switch to move when it is fully assembled.

I followed the directions exactly. I'm also a mechanical engineer, so in theory I should be able to handle this better than the average person. I'm going to call Lasermax's tech support line on Monday to see what they know. I'll report back on what I find out...

10. BuellBoy

BuellBoy XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay, I can confirm that the Lasermax internal laser does work with the latest XD subcompacts. I called the tech line, and Carrie identified my problem as being a faulty take down lever switch. They shipped a new one to me the next day with a prepaid UPS return label to ship my old one back. The Lasermax works perfectly now - just as I had hoped it would!

My barrel lug does look like the new XD one shown on the Lasermax website that reportedly doesn't work with the laser (it has the crescent indention that meets with the guide rod). Carrie did confirm that the Lasermax for the 3" SC was designed to work with this configuration barrel lug.

11. krunchnik

krunchnik XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 for what he said,Crimson Trace,Good stuff.

12. Steve M

Steve M XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hmm, I like the ArmaLaser on my XD-9 Service. The touch activation is very slick and it holds zero through everything I've thrown at it (about 750 rounds so far). I would like an off switch for when I want to just use the sights, but other than that, I recommend it to anyone who asks.

[​IMG]

13. Jmac_xd40

Jmac_xd40 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    laserlyte has a new rear sight laser that I'm heavily considering. it has 2 on modes, steady, and pulsate. it also makes the rear sight glow for night use. there is a tritium front sight that is sold seperate to complete the package.

14. omarimoe

omarimoe XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    idk dude i wouldnt get either id go with a viridian c5l or one with just the laser if u dont want the light but for home defense its a sweet setup. i love mine but if ur just looking at the 2 i'd go with the armalaser

[​IMG]

this is actualy another members gun i think not sure found it on google mines not a subcompact