Laser/Tac Light Dilemma

Discussion in 'Optics and Glass' started by berkebrian, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Apr 11, 2012 #1
    berkebrian

berkebrian XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey all, I'm new around here...just purchased my first handgun: XDM9. I'd like to get a laser/light combo. After doing some reading I've got it narrowed down to the Viridian Universal Mount Green Laser Sight with Tac Light or the Streamlight TLR-2s.

Both have decent reviews, but I figure I'd ask around here. I love the idea of a green laser, but I read that the battery drains a lot even when not in use...which isn't idea for a home defense weapon. Any thoughts?

2. Apr 11, 2012 #2
    Happypuppy

Happypuppy XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't have either of those but on a Glock I have their laser /light combo. They claim is that green is brighter easy to see. Maybe true I don't know. The red seems nice and bright. I do know that the red light tactical light works really well, is easy to use and the battery is lasting forever. On a Personal defense gun lasers they are really nice put the dot on the target and press the trigger. The light gives me the ability to see what I am shooting. I am a believer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Apr 18, 2012 #3
    Another

Another XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    knows what a red dot on their chest means. I'm not one to be on the cutting edge of technology. The Edsel was a better car, and the Mac a better computer, but for their time a Chevy and PC ruled.

4. Sep 4, 2015 #4
    Pro 2a

Pro 2a XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have an xd9. Would like some opinions on preference of laser/light combo or just a laser.

5. Sep 14, 2015 #5
    OpticsPlanet

OpticsPlanet Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +135 / 1
    We have nothing but good feedback on the Viridian X5-L which is a green laser/light combo. I feel personally that it is easier to catch the green dot in higher light conditions than the red. You can find a combo here that has a holster and sight combo, which is another thing to take into consideration when adding a laser sight or light to your firearm.

Michael C.

6. Sep 14, 2015 #6
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 7
    ^ And that really is the biggest difference -

In daylight or in brighter-light conditions, the green really will help.

That "brighter light" needs to also extend to the tactical light, too - be it standalone or a coaxial, if the weapon-light's hot-spot is too bright, it can wash-out the red laser. If you opt for a brighter white light, spend the extra coin and go with a green laser.

----

In other news, yet another newbie to the Forums caught by the Necropost "Similar Threads" function! :)

7. Sep 18, 2015 #7
    OpticsPlanet

Ratings:
    +135 / 1
    At the same power output (5mW for we lowly civilians), the green will appear brighter, as your eye is most sensitive at the green wavelengths - red laser at 650nm, green laser at 532 nm.

Sorry this is so large... at 532 nm (green laser), you're at 90% sensitivity. At 650 nm (red laser), you're at 10% sensitivity. Thats why red tends to disappear in sunlight.

As Mike noted above, the Viridian is very popular, but you will have considerably more choices for holsters with the TLR-2 or TLR-2G.

Mark H.

[​IMG]

8. Sep 18, 2015 #8
    OpticsPlanet

Ratings:
    +135 / 1
    Pro 2a, i have an XD45 5" Tactical as the bedside gun, and i use the .45 version of this 9/40 laser, along with a TLR-1 on the rail:
    Crimson Trace Springfield Armory XD, 9mm-.45GAP Laserguard LG-446-S w/ Free Shipping and Handling

[​IMG]

It provides slight palm swells, which i welcome - it makes my XD fit my hand better, and doesn't interfere with any of my existing holsters.

There are a couple of reasons I like the Crimson Trace over a Lasermax guide rod laser (although I own both) the Lasermax guide rod laser is not adjustable for elevation or windage. Lasermax guarantees 2" at 50 yards, which is more than adequate for self defense distances, but I like to fine tune my lasers for specific distances and loads. The Crimson Trace is adjustable for elevation and windage.

Activating the Lasermax requires pushing a button that replaces the take-down lever. The Crimson Trace activates when you grasp the grip firmly. In a self defense situation, fine motor skills (like pushing s tiny button somewhere on the frame) deteriorate quickly. Gross motor skills (like grasping your gun) still function. I learned that firsthand in the Shoot House at Thunder Ranch.

If you take a firing grip with the Crimson Trace, the laser is activated.

Here's my opinion, and it's worth what you paid for it: Lots of people I talk to believe that they can put a dot on a bad guy, and the bad guy will wet his pants, kneel and surrender. In my department, it's not unusual to have one or more of my coworkers put a dot on you (purely in the name of product testing), and unless you're looking down at your chest, you don;t know it's there. So don't count on that feature.

The best use I have found personally is for dry fire practice. I thought I had a fairly smooth trigger pull, but with the laser on and the gun unloaded, the dot was all over the place. My pull has smoothed considerable with dry fire practice with the laser. It's also very useful for point shooting practice. Aim the handgun, then activate the laser.

Certainly not trying to dissuade you, just wanted to pass along my opinion after using them for almost 30 years - my first was on an H&K SP-89, back in the 80's, and the laser was ENORMOUS.

Mark H.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2015
  9. Sep 18, 2015 #9
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 7
    ^ Have you been able to try that particular CT grip on the XDm 3.8 Compact?

There've been past threads where the owners said that it works pretty well, and I was looking for a bit of extra confirmation. :)

10. Sep 23, 2015 #10
    OpticsPlanet

Ratings:
    +135 / 1
    • Useful Useful x 1