Lake City or Lithuanian GGG 5.56?

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by merc545, Jul 25, 2010.

1. merc545

merc545 XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I was going to post this in the ammo can, but I figure there are more people who know about 5.56 here, so here goes. If price is about equal, should I get 1000 rds of the LC or the Lithuanian stuff? Both have the NATO headstamp. The Lithuanian stuff comes packed in boxes, inside what looks like a .50 cal ammo can. Looks nice and shiny. The LC stuff comes packed loose, and the brass doesn't look that great.

Is one better than the other for the price? I figure that since they both are NATO-stamped ammo that they will function the same and have consistent, hot loadings, so it would make more sense to get the free ammo can and the better looking brass. Anybody disagree?

2. SRD

SRD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I think you are fine either way. ammo is ammo. I would prob get te lithuanian one as long as its non corrosive its GTG.

3. zombiekiller

zombiekiller XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When faced with a question of which when there's not a real quality difference why would you, not go with whats made in the US. Buy American, Americans helping Americans seems simple.

4. Bultx1215

Bultx1215 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I prefer LC brass when I reload. Not sure I have ever fired factory LC rounds yet.:rolleyes: So, I'd say get the LC.

5. Blatch

Blatch XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Shinier isn't always better. I've got Israeli (IMI) 5.56 that looks horrible but is more accurate than any other imported mil-spec I've tried.

Lake City ss109 was $350 per 1000rd case out the door in Hampton, VA this weekend. Some of the best brass for reloading. Ok accuracy.

Haven't tried Lithuanian yet. But for imported ammo, the Korean ss109 (PMC "X-TAC") is really hard to beat right now. Very consistent shot to shot. $320 at the shows and online lately.

6. merc545

merc545 XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    For the ammo can I guess? And the shinier brass (also, from the pictures I've seen the Lith stuff has a nice primer sealant). I was just looking to see if there were any downsides to the Lithuanian stuff. But I suppose if it's true NATO spec, then it has to be the same thing. And I actually prefer to not have the painted green tips. Less crud to clean out of the barrel extension from being shaved off when a round is chambered.

As far as buying American, I'm sure the business I'm buying it from pays their taxes, so it's not like the US government isn't seeing any revenue from the foreign ammo.

7. harley3

harley3 XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't think zombiekiller gave a rats butt about the US Gov't seeing revenue from taxes. That is not what buying "American Made" is all about! I think it is safe to say that he was talking about the American citizens that are employed by an American company making American made ammo. When you support US Companies, then you are supporting those US citizens that work at those companies.

Buying US can be very difficult and unfortunately can cost more in most cases. If you can, then great. If you can't that is fine too. It is a personal choice. I try to do it whenever I can.

8. SRD

SRD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The reason i say go with other than salt lake although i have had good experience with it some of the brass comes dinged up. I also also read alot of people having bad batches of it. Something like the only release stuff that doesnt meet QC because they govt is using all the can produce.