Kydex and slide finish?

Discussion in 'XD-S Discussion Room' started by XDS40Believer, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Jan 2, 2017 #1
    XDS40Believer

XDS40Believer XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I'm not new to firearms but, have no experience with Kydex holsters. I have always used leather as it fits well to my body and my guns. Lately I have been wanting to try a Kydex IWB holster for conceal carry and now that I have a new CC gun, my XDs .40, I am willing to give it a shot. How hard is Kydex on the slide finish? Can I expect my bluing to diminish faster or will it not harm it at all? I am seriously considering the one below. Thanks in advance, TW.

Single Clip IWB Protos-M

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
  2. Jan 2, 2017 #2
    Amish_ninjas

Amish_ninjas XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +3,052 / 20
    It'll wear it. Finish on my XD wore much faster than my Sig or Glocks.

3. Jan 2, 2017 #3
    justashooter2a

justashooter2a XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +365 / 7
    From looking at the finish on my XDs after carrying it in a leather/Kydex hybrid every day for the past several years, the leather side shows a bit more wear than the Kydex side.

But hey, it's a carry gun, not a show piece.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jan 2, 2017 #4
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1,759 / 7
    Dirt and debris is what kills the finish. You can have have a holster made out of baby unicorn skin, soft-side-in, and that'll still wear the crap out of the gun's finish - Melonite or Tenifer or whateverultrahardsuperfinishofthedayitis.

Kydex tends to wear the high-points and retention point(s). Leather, if dirt/debris becomes lodged, will wear a wider contact patch.

It's arguably easier to clean out a Kydex or other thermoplastic holster than it is a leather holster. If you're going to a training class that has a lot of ground-work on sandy and rocky dirt and you're using leather, that's going to wreck havoc on the finish of your gun, even if it's stainless. With Kydex, yes, you'll get the same wear, but at least you'll be able to rinse out that dirt and debris between evolutions, whereas with leather, well.....

If you can keep the holster's interior clean, yes, a leather or otherwise lined holster should be kinder to the gun's finish (moisture needs to be addressed, too, of-course).

But in all honesty, if you're going to use the gun, you'll want to learn to love their worn-in character lines. ;)

This old 1911Forum Post by Emerson shows the absolutely beautiful patina on his Baer, at 30K rounds:

1911Forum

Here's my training/range-abuse 4.5-inch XDm9, also when it was at approx. 30K rounds:

"New" XDm9 from Cleveland - POA/POI & magazine questions

That lives its whole life in a Kydex holster - an RCS Phantom. Most of the wear incurred comes from dirt/debris getting into the holster during training classes. It's currently got about 47K rounds on the clock.

My EDC 3.8 Compact appears on the far right in the picture below:

The twins

It's hard to see, but the radius planes at the muzzle area is worn significantly, and that gun lived all of its life in a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro, a top-tier custom leather holster. In and out of the holster every day for close to 5 years by that point, not to mention a few classes, too.

Don't base your holster choice on "gun wear." If the gun is going to be used, it's going to wear. Instead, base holster choice on what actually suits your usage needs best.

For a "user" gun, you'll have to resign yourself to either some wear and character lines or, alternatively, like a show-car that's also daily driven, get it refinished periodically. I remember a Japanese show-and-daily FD RX7 that was meticulously repainted every week during that portion of its life. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Jan 2, 2017 #5
    XDS40Believer

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Thanks very much for all the replies and feedback. I think I'm going to go ahead and order the Protos-M and see how that works.

6. Jan 2, 2017 #6
    choatecav

choatecav XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    [QUOTE="But hey, it's a carry gun, not a show piece.[/QUOTE]

I agree with Justashooter on this matter. It is a carry gun and as such it is a tool. Plus, just personally, I think that it adds to the character and appearance of the weapon to have some wear showing whether from leather or kydex.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Jan 2, 2017 #7
    XDS40Believer

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Well, I did it! I ordered the Black Arch Protos-M IWB holster. Got it in FDE and black to match my XDs.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jan 2, 2017 #8
    Acheron2010

Acheron2010 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2,032 / 10
    ^^^^^
    this.

9. Jan 3, 2017 #9
    ca survivor

ca survivor XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +46 / 0
    you have to keep Kydex holsters clean inside or it will wear out the finish, if you're used to leather holster, you are going to hate Kydex specially IWB holsters.

10. Jan 3, 2017 #10
    Gigantore

Gigantore XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1,731 / 167
    No wear is a sign of an unused tool. Go take a look at any successful mechanics toll box. I bet youll be hard pressed to find anything that looks like its never been used. If you practice/train, your tools should look like they fit the part.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1