Kubatons....

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by vash_241987, Mar 28, 2011.

1. vash_241987

vash_241987 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Anyone train with one? A female friend of mine talked about being out late one night with a friend on a bridge and mentioned a sketchy guy. So being a protective friend I suggested the cat keychain
    Wild Kat Keychains
    or the kubaton
    Tapered Aluminum Kubotan

so after watching some vids, I'm intrigued by its simple plain design but its effectiveness as a weapon when needed (properly trained and continuous training would be a plus) espically when your are in places that you cannot carry your gun. I remember my CHL instructor talked about it in our class as another alternative or add-on to your EDC and how he was able to control a guy bigger than him with one on a pressure point. I probably will pick one up and need to find more videos on its use. Also are there any legal ramifications if I carry one? Thanks!

2. DanTheEldest

DanTheEldest XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    The cat thing looks interesting. My wife carried a kubaton for a while after we got married, but I never really saw much worth in it. In the hands of a male with a decent amount of strength and training in technique, it might be useful, but IMO if the average woman lets an attacker get within arm's reach she's going to be overpowered with or without a little aluminum stick thingy. Now she packs a CCW permit and a .357 and I feel better.

3. vash_241987

vash_241987 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yeah a gun would be nice from my friend but sadly she lives in THAT state on the west coast and getting a CCW would be impossible. Cat keychain would look feasible for a woman but yeah .357 does beat a stick and seeing that a woman could be overpowered if it came to the stick. Its ashame that I'm filipino and not have the knife fighting skills that we are know for.....I also can't swim which is a double fail :p.

4. matlt

matlt XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's certainly better than nothing. But if you live in a fairly weapon friendly place, she's much better off with a knife. Even a folding knife with a big belly for slashing like a cold steel ak-47 or one of the many emerson models. Remember, bullet, blade or blunt object, the point is to cause as much trauma as is required to stop a threat.