kindle rant

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by thewarriorhunter, Jan 22, 2013.

1. thewarriorhunter

thewarriorhunter XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    got my wife a kindle keyboard over a year ago and after several months it got the dreaded lines on the screen. no problem, amazon sent out a brand new one no problem.

my wife's birthday is coming up and i bought her a lighted cover for it since the kids broke her last one. i had to scour e-bay for it since amazon doesn't sell them anymore.

it arrives and i'm excited to slip it on the kindle and lo and behold... more freaking lines! (and out of warranty)

amazon will prorate one (barely) and i know i'm going to get her another kindle because she loves it, but i don't know which one to get. i can still get a kindle keyboard and part of me wants to since i just dropped $60 on the cover.

if another kindle is way better i will go through the hassle of selling the cover... so... any kindle gurus out there with some advice? she uses it to read... and i don't know if i really want to go the fire route and end up with a tablet... we have enough gadgets around the house as it is.

2. WirePaladin

WirePaladin XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is she hard on them? Lines usually mean damage was sustained. Dropping or jarring it, but also very small pinpoint pressure or pressure on the device. Maybe tossing it in a purse or bag? I believe Alt+G is the key combo to refresh the screen, you could see if that helps.

I'd really try to figure out what is happening to the devices because the eink-based ones are more resilient than the fire/tablets.

EDIT: Also, look at how she charges it and the quality of the power. A small, *quality*, single outlet surge protector and proper time charging could solve the issues in a future one. If you know you have power issues (spikes or brownouts) you should get UPS' or even whole house protection.

3. Sassafras

Sassafras XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 3
    I have a Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and am pleased with it. My wife has a Kindle Fire that she thinks the world of. The HD has a better screen if movies and games are played. For just an e-book they are about the same.

4. thewarriorhunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i know it's not a power spike. the kindle was fine last night and left on her dresser, i picked it up this evening and there the lines were... if i buy a new one i plan on taking this one apart to see its guts...

we do have two kids and i suspect they are a possible problem... at least the first time... whatever happens i'll make sure i grill my wife hard on treating this thing better than a safe queen.

5. NewBlackDak

NewBlackDak XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My wife got a paper white for Christmas. She dropped hers in the hot tub in August, and was having DTs from it. She likes the new one even better than the original.

6. chupacabrachus

chupacabrachus XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    the paper white is awesome. best e-reader available. I have a kindle touch and I can't bring myself to take it on the boat or into the shower so I have a reason to go out and buy the paper white.

For now, I am just going to wait until my kindle touch dies. Seems like every year or so now amazon comes out with a new and improved e-reader... next year could be COLOR e-ink screens. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.

7. civicjoe

civicjoe XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    best of luck waiting out that kindle color, pretty sure they are going to move the kidle fire more in to the direct light if you want color. It could be cool but i dont for see it. my 2 cents. it could be cool though

8. chupacabrachus

chupacabrachus XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Color e-ink isn't science fiction. I think it all depends on whether or not amazon can subsidized the price of building a kindle "e-ink color" to be low enough price for people to not be scared off by sticker shock.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00756YMGU/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk"]THIS READER[/ame] already exists... but check out the price tag.

9. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 1
    I lost half the screen on my kindle keyboard.

Amazon was going to give me $25 off of one of 3. I tried the touch and hated it (the screen was way to sensitive, as in the cat's tail made it jump 5 pages, and I was always accidentally touching it), so I sent it back. Then the merry go-round round of the screwed up return system started. $25 was way low IMO. This one was one without adds and with the free 3g downloads. Those 2 features are mainly licensing and tack on about $75 to a new one.

all that said, I like dealing with Amazon much more than B&N.

10. daveofspades

daveofspades XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I had a Nook Color but it got out dated fast. I looked hard at getting a Kindle Fire or the Nook Tablet to replace it.

In the end, I went with a Nexus 7 tablet. I have total access to Google's app store, not just what Amazon or B&N think I should have. I also have the benefit of being able to use both companies reading apps plus oddball ones to cover anything they don't. I'm extremely happy with it.

And, yes, I do use it for more than an ereader.

DD

11. thewarriorhunter

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well, ended up finding a kindle like hers on craigslist for 50 bucks. picked it up and all is well. i told her she has to treat this one like a safe queen and that it's her last.

12. drs1321

drs1321 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +216 / 1
    I got a Nook tablet after the dog decided to use my original nook as a chew toy. It was outdated anyway. I'm pleased with the tablet. I only read and check emails on it though.

13. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +362 / 4
    I have a Kindle Paper White...mostly because ALL I wanted to do with it was read books.

So far...really nice piece. Easy and fast to load books and with 24 brightness settings...man...you can adjust that thing to be very easy on your eyes no matter what kind of room you are in.

I have not noticed that it was delicate but I have not really beaten it around much.

-brickboy240

14. gun1three

gun1three XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I've got a kindle keyboard that I have had for at least three years. I am hard on everything. I put it in a sturdy leather case on day one and have never had a problem with it. I don't use the lighted cover unless I am away from power. I use a plug in book light and attach it to the cover. Love the kindle.

15. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 1
    I loved mine too, but out of the blue, half the screen quit working. I guess its a fairly common problem.