Kimber vs Taurus

Discussion in 'M1911' started by ArmyGuy45, Dec 12, 2009.

1. ArmyGuy45

ArmyGuy45 XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    So me and my buddy went shooting today. Prob put close to 300 rounds through our 1911's each. Both shot each others and mine(Kimber) is just a little bit more accurate than his(Taurus). When it comes to cleaning im sure glad I have a Kimber. To take the fire pin, fire pin spring, and extractor out of his Taurus is a pain in the @$$. I will NEVER own a Taurus just cause of this feature.

That is all.

2. Vandal

Vandal XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Every time my roommate and I go shooting the Kimber (me) vs. Taurus (him) discussion comes up. They are both good but the Kimber has the better fit and finish and more accurate for both of us. I paid more for the gun and got a better product. Taurus is a great entry level 1911, much better than the RIA Tactical I had.

3. jeepinbanditrider

jeepinbanditrider XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Question is......is the Kimber Double the price better?

4. Vandal

Vandal XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Mine wasn't double the price, Stainless II.

5. longtalltechsan

longtalltechsan XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +15 / 0
    I guess it depends on which Kimber one buys. When I got mine almost a year ago, the Kimber was only about $150 more than the Taurus.

6. Cannibul

Cannibul XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Why?

What did Taurus change?

7. Myk9noseknows

Myk9noseknows XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    That's like comparing a pile of gold to a pile of horse sh*t ;-)

I'd never own a Taurus auto because my life is worth a few extra bucks :shock:. And in the scheme of things, yes it's just a few extra bucks. I never skimp on mags either (how does National mags stay in business?)

8. TANGO

TANGO XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wanted to pick up one of the Taurus auto's just for Target shooting . And to take it a-Part to see how they are built . But none of the Gun Stores out here every have them ? I do have one Taurus Wheel Gun that I am not real Happy with . I took it a-Part because the trigger pull was real bad . Brand new it had Lot's of metal dust in the Trigger Part's . I Cleaned it up and all the Parts were ok . It work much better now . If I buy another Taurus I will pull it all a-Part and Clean it before I test Fire the Gun .

9. jeepinbanditrider

jeepinbanditrider XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

How much were we talkin here? I got my PT1911 for 550 dollars. Every Kimber I've seen on the shelf has a price tag pushing if not over a grand. I've shot a Kimber and like them but not enough to drop that kind of coin on one. Me and a good friend of mine got our PT1911s at the same time and neither one has really had a hiccup yet. One of the biggest compaints I've read so far is the ambi safety

10. 05Daytona

05Daytona XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I had to get a replacement gun for my New Springfield 1911 Loaded that would only shoot 7 rounds with parts falling off and the extractor junk,you live you learn Hu!
    I picked up the Taurus 1911ss-1 for a shoot early in the month and did I get a suprise,This gun out shot the Springfield,Colt,and yes Kimber out of the box,I let others at the range handle it( we just had fun with it) and most now have one ,This gun will sell itself,It's tight and handle the different ammo we had,The best part was the feel of the fit in your hand,it was just a good shooting gun.
    We all together put about 700 rounds throught it and it held it's point of aim with no slop.
    Im happy with my $625.00 gun. Who knew:-D

11. operator331

operator331 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Allright I'll bite...... Why?.... series 80 safety? external extractor?... Do tell

12. Froggy13

Froggy13 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I have never owned or even shot a Kimber and I do own a couple of Taurus pistols, a PT 1911ss and a PT99 I have had since the early 80's. Neither of my pistols has ever had a problem with reliability or accuracy, if you do your part they do theirs. I do however, read on this and other forums about quite a bit of trouble people have with their Kimber's and then trash talk the Taurus many times with out ever having owned or fired one. I understand that Taurus has had problems with their revolvers in the past and I can't speak to the quality of those products but I can say that I am completely satisfied with my 2 autos and would highly recommend either one of them to anyone looking for a quality product at a reasonable price, and yes I do trust my life to either one of these as they have never failed me.

13. ETexPops

ETexPops XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have one of each and love them both. Taking the firing pin and extractor out is no big deal on either, both are accurate, both conceal well, and I trust either with my life. Can't bash either one.

14. Ajcrash

Ajcrash XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I don't have a Kimber, nor have I ever shot one; but I do own a PT1911 and have shot it quite a bit. For the money (bought it from a friend for $350) it is a great entry level 1911. My only complaints about it are IMO the finish isn't that great, I can't stand the Taurus Security System, and I could live without the ambi safety.

All my complaints are easily fixed though. The finish can be redone with any number of after market coatings, I'm waiting for work to close down for Christmas to apply some park grey aluma-hyde II to the slide and frame. The Taurus Security System has been "froze" with a bit of loctite, it loosened up somehow and would occasionally rotate in the hammer engaging itself. I'll replace the hammer, sear, and ambi safety before I apply the AH-II. I could live with the ambi safety, but from time to time I've noticed when shooting I sometimes manage to engage the safety with the knuckle of my right hand, so it's a reliability issue IMO. I've gotten kind of used to it and can generally see if the safety is activated in my peripheral.

Aside from these 3 minor things I've never had any kind of issue with the gun feeding, ejecting, or firing anything I feed it.

It will probably become a camp/beater gun once I finish a few projects in the works and can apply some funds to a higher end 1911. For now though it works great and aside from the above issues it really is one of my favorite shooters.

15. HahnsXD

HahnsXD XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I plan on buying a Taurus to enter the 1911 world, everything I've read about them seems to say they're pretty decent guns, I held one and a Kimber at the gun shop and for whatever reason the Taurus just "felt" nicer..