kimber vs. sig

Discussion in 'M1911' started by mikeo228, Jun 11, 2012.

1. mikeo228

mikeo228 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys,
    I was at my local fin, feather, fur yesterday and I went there really wanting a sig scorpion. I played with it a little and really liked the gun. However, I also looked at some Kimbers. I had a gunsmith I know tell me that Kimbers have really gone down service and quality wise in the last five years, but I still think they are great shooters. I'm just wondering what you guys thought when comparing the two. If I were to get a Kimber it would be something very close in price to the scorpion. Also wondering if any other brands make something like the scorpion/desert warrior? (preferably in an OD green or that sandy color) :confused:

2. socalgunjunky

socalgunjunky XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey there, Mikeo
    I love my sig nitron rail. My only issue is holsters. I would buy the sig over the Kimber any day. You can look at the springfield Mc operator they have it in od. Good luck which ever way you go.

3. Mr. YACYAS

Mr. YACYAS XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No brainer for me. Get the Sig over the Kimber.

4. nuhler

nuhler XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    STAY AWAY FROM KIMBER!

I have a family friend who owns a lgs and range and they see lots of trouble with customers kimbers.

Horrible cust. service and if you send your gun in you wont see it repaired for 6 months.

But i have heard of alot of problems with sig 1911's too.

Go on youtube and you will find several videos of sig 1911's malfunctioning on camera. Even after they are sent back they still wont even work.

But then again i know a guy who has a sig squorpion 1911 and it runs perfect!

Id look into springfield 1911's wont see any problems with them!

5. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    Kimber has the worst % malfunction rate out of the box of any 1911, heck I think of any commercially available firearms.

Lots of good 1911s, Sigs are fine.

6. richeyo2

richeyo2 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The Sig Scorpion is one sweet pistol. I don't own one but have had the chance to shoot one. Not to mention it looks bad a$$ IMO!!!

7. oif0709

oif0709 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've spent a little time on the 1911 forum. I've got a scorpion on layaway and have read they are very accurate and reliable as well as have good customer service. I've fired 4 different kimbers with no issues and have read alot of positive review of new owners and even some posts about their customer service improving. I own a compact kimber and have had no issues.

For the money I think you'll be happy with a sig. They have alot of features more common on higher priced brands such as front strap checkering and night sights.

Just thought id share.

8. southern thunder

southern thunder XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have Kimbers, Sigs, Colts and Springfields. No problems with any.

9. Akimbo

Akimbo XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i really enjoy my sig 1911 match elite. no malfunctions to speak of. feels great in the hand, fantastic checkering... i got a barebone version: no night sights, no rails, just plain jane. Cost about 835-850.

I believe it to be my favorite were it not for the fact that i am more accurate with my XDM 45 :)

They both have a special place in my safe.

10. WidowMaker88

WidowMaker88 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To be honost, I had not heard many bad things about kimber until I came to xdtalk.. Everything prior, has been praise. they are fit to be a bit tighter in tolerance, so regular maintenance and cleaning (as should be done with other firearms as well) is a must. Learn basic tear down and keep it clean, should run just fine for you!

I have no problem with kimber or sig, sig being a bit on the little cheaper side, that scorpion is BA. I just dont know how I like the extractor on the sig, Heard a couple issues with that getting fouled up and sticking sometimes,

I have never had any issue with shooting a sig or kimber, my friends prefer springfield, and that is what I am getting next.

11. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +133 / 0
    Going on four years now and my Kimber TLE II has STILL yet to hiccup or give me a lick of trouble. Reliable and very accurate...right out of the box.

I think I got the only good Kimber! LOL

- brickboy240

12. Vandal

Vandal XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Bought my Kimber in 08, never had a FTF, FTE, stovepipe, jam etc. It's more accurate than I am and is one of my favorite guns to shoot.

People love to tout Springfield's customer service as being spectacular. That means that they are having to use it for issues with their guns. :shock:

13. LagerHead

LagerHead Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I trust my life to my Kimber, which has never had a problem in the two and a half years I've had it. My wife trusts her life to her Sig, which has never had a problem in the one and half year she's had it. They're both great guns. I might give a very slight edge to Sig though.

14. SonOfOdin

SonOfOdin XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    Ya'll have fun with your expensive, fancy, modded out 1911's with their baggage.

Colt Series 70 MkIV Gov't Model - Still running strong. If it says .45 ACP on the rim, it works.

No bells, No Whistle, No do-dads or ding-dongs. No 8 or 9 or 10 or 11 or 12 round funky magazines. Just 7 round checkmate mags with a dimple.

A plain jane, blued Colt 1911, designed as John Moses Browning, the man who had his serious thinking cap on, designed it to be. No cycle issues, no feed issues, no jamming, no stove-piping...

Just 1911 perfection.

15. wgedwards

wgedwards XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got the other one, a TLE II stainless that is very accurate and so far, flawless. Brickboy I knew you had good taste!

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2