Kahr CW9 Vs XD9SC??

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Boostedxt, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Boostedxt

Boostedxt XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I currently have a XD9SC that I have been carrying however I have been thinking of picking up the Cw9 just because they can be had for $399 locally here. I am thinking of getting it because its narrower than the XD. Thoughts? Anyone have one? Its the same dimensions as the PM9 and P9.

I compared them at the shop and it was a big difference for feel and width...but i want your opinion.:)

I carry in an MTAC btw.

joe

2. HokieMS2.0

HokieMS2.0 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've got the CW9. It's my carry gun. It's thin and light, and carries well. The trigger is looonnng, but very smooth, and not extremely heavy. I've never had any problems out of mine, with random FMJ's and Federal Hydrashocks (probably 400 rounds total). Good accuracy, also. If you like the feel, I say go for it.

3. Boostedxt

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    can you post some photos of it? Do you still have an XD? can you post comparison pictures. Thanks for the info!!!

joe

4. rexracer

rexracer XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a PM9 and a friend has a P9. They both shoot well, and I've seen him carry the P9 where I was looking to see if he was carrying, and asked him why he wasn't...up came the shirt and there it was. I say go for it.

5. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a CW40 and an XD40 SC. The comparison would be similar to a comparison between the CW9 and XD9 SC. I don't have any comparison shots of the two guns but I do have a comparison shot of my CW40 and PM9. The CW model is bigger. It's really not a good pocket gun, IMO, if that's what you're looking for.

CW on the left ...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

PM on top ...
    [​IMG]

PM on bottom ...
    [​IMG]

6. Boostedxt

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the pictures! I will be carrying this IWB as I am not 100% comfy with pocket carry honestly. I would assume the CW9 would be a good IWB tshirt ad shorts gun?

7. Mudinyeri

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, I carry my CW in a CBST holster and it even conceals fairly well wearing tighter, lighter-weight shirts like Under Armor Heat Gear and Columbia's Titanium shirts. I don't wear the body-hugger shirts but the light-weight fabric still drapes pretty closely and even my wife, who knows I carry pretty much all the time, has noted that she couldn't tell.

The PM9 is nice for pocket carry when you can't wear a holster for one reason or another. I have a nice pocket holster that makes it look like I'm carrying my wallet in my front pocket (in tighter shorts/pants).

8. MPDC

MPDC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, since the original question was vs. XDSC, I have to add that while convenience is definitely served with the Kahr, there IS a tradeoff. To some it will be a major one, to others , less so.

Weight and width make the SA XDSC platform feel and shoot like a much larger weapon. It has less perceived recoil, less prone to failures from grip problems, faster back on target after a shot and can carry at least 13 rounds meaning a second mag is optional rather than necessary.

All things are a trade off. The XDSC is the most concealable XD. The Kahrs and Kel Tecs are the most convenient to conceal and carry in 9MM. Your choice comes down to comfort in carry or comfort in shooting, IMHO. Either will be servicable for CCW but your choice should depend on which variable is more important to you. I chose the XD over my PF9 because of reliability and shooting ergonomics. I do miss the easily concealable , thin and light little pocket cannon. I , however, shoot the XD much better and have much more confidence in the performance of it as well as the ammo capacity.

9. RobzXD

RobzXD XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Here's a link comparing the 3 Kahrs you mentioned
    Genitron.com: Comparing 3 Guns|CW9|P9|PM9|

You might want to consider the Ruger SR9c. We just picked one up in Bi-Tone for $400 + Tax, so it's in the same price range as the Cw9. Like the Cw9, it's slimmer and a bit more rounded/comfortable than the XD9sc, but still a Double Stack with 10rd & 17rd mags. The really strange thing about the SR9c is that it's a couple ounces Heavier than the XD9sc, but it really doesn't FEEL heavier. The SR9c 17rd mag seems to not add as much girth to the Ruger as the XD's 16rd mag. Not sure why...

Here's the same site, but comparing the Cw9, XD9sc and SR9c:
    Genitron.com: Comparing 3 Guns|CW9|XD Sub Compact|SR9c|

Here's another good comparison chart, but it doesn't have the SR9c listed yet.
    http://www.mouseguns.com/CompactCompare.pdf

10. Mudinyeri

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'd like to address a couple of the statements above.

1. I don't carry a spare magazine just for capacity. I carry one, primarily, because most semi-auto handgun failures are in some way related to the magazine and/or resolved by dropping the current magazine and replacing it with a new one. I know that I share this opinion with countless seasoned LEO's, military and civilian handgun carriers.

2. Ergonomics are 100% based upon the individual shooting the gun.

3. Accuracy, is generally more a factor of practice than ergonomics. A few weeks ago, I watched a guy shoot the Q out of a Q Target shooting a CW9 from a variety of ranges. I MIGHT be able to do that with one of my XD's ... or Kahrs ... or other brands of handguns ... but it definitely proved to me that the CW series are accurate handguns in the right hands.

If you've had reliability issues with your Kahr I certainly understand a hesitance to carry it. Other than that, like most gun purchases, it comes down to the individual making the purchase. We can all agree or disagree as much as we want but, ultimately, the OP has to make his own decision.

11. MPDC

MPDC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mud, agree with your first point and do carry a spare but based on capacity alone, there is a point to having more in the carry mag.

Agree with the rest too, up to a point. That point being that there are always trade offs in different sizes of guns and weights. True , you can adapt to anything you practice with just , at least for me, the weight and feel of a heavier weapon always seems to produce more accuracy, faster recovery and warm fuzzies. Agree others may feel different fuzzies with different weapons.

Still, the diminutive 9MM weapons like the Kel tecs and smallest Kahrs push the edge of size vs. caliber for me and many I know who have owned them. That said, I would take the Kahr over the Kel Tec and either over carrying a .380 of similar size or smaller. Just me and the OP certainly knows he is free to decide on his own parameters. Just points to consider which may or may not effect his personal choice.;)

12. Mudinyeri

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree about trade-offs. I had to learn to shoot the M9 in the Army. It sure wouldn't have been my first choice but I learned to shoot it quickly and fairly accurately (not target shooting but battle shooting).

Oddly enough, I'm better with my PM9 than I am my CW40, though. I certainly wouldn't classify the CW guns as "diminutive" but the PM's I would.

13. Boostedxt

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The biggest reason for wanting to add the Cw9 to the group is because I have a CZ for winter, the XD for everything else except for when I am in shorts and a tshirt. The XD is to big for me to hide unless I buy bigger shirts. The issue with that is I am on the lower end of a size as it is...so if I go up it looks huge on me!

As for practice....
    1-3 hours a week practice drawing from IWB holster
    300-600 rounds a month of shooting between all my carry guns
    I practice shooting from my back, side, prone, and moving in all directions.

I love to practice and train so I feel like I can get good with any gun I would shoot.

joe

14. Mudinyeri

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here are my XD40 SC and CW40 side-by-side for comparison purposes. The XD9 SC and CW9 should be virtually identical.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The big difference, from a concealment standpoint, is the width of the slide and grip. Grip and barrel length are very similar.

15. jstringer5

jstringer5 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a PM9 and an XDSC. The comfort and conceal-ability of the Kahr over the XDSC is definitely a plus. I can easily conceal it in an OWB with a loose shirt over it. The dimensions of the CW Kahrs are half an inch longer and taller. It should be almost as easy to conceal as the PM9 except in a pocket.