Springfield XD Forum banner

Just Looking for opinions

5K views 46 replies 25 participants last post by  Ramennoodle0 
#1 ·
I am looking for a gun that I can use for home protection, Conceal carry, and Target practice at the range. I cant afford a gun for every activity. I just want one gun that I can do it all with. I have always liked Springfield armory guns and I have rented several but not sure what I really need. I kind of like the double stacked they feel a little better. PLEASE let me hear some opinions on this so maybe I can go ahead and get something.

#2 · (Edited)
The best all around value is always a glock 19. You can get one for cheap and modifications can be done for a few dollars all while being extremely reliable. As well as excelling at each roll you mentioned.

#3 ·
You don't need a separate gun for every activity you listed. What's your budget first off? I second the Glock 19. For the price it's hard to beat. It's a double stack and seems to be the perfect blend of size, capacity and concealability. With those three you have to make a sacrifice and there is give and take. But ultimately you need to get hands on multiple guns as well as choose a caliber. Caliber is another debate that's another thread lol

#4 ·
Being that you've rented and shot a few is there a platform/style that felt better than others. You mentioned that the double stack felt good so did any particular brands/models stand shoot better than others for you? Particular caliber? Any idea how you would carry and do you think the width of the double stack will be an issue for you? Those answers, as well as your budget, might help with the suggestions.

#5 ·
Some people (like me) can shoot a Glock just fine, but the Springfield grip angle just feels more natural. Some say more 1911-ish.

In the mid-range price point, the MOD.2 compacts should be in consideration, IMHO, and you have the choice of 9, .40, and .45. I CC an XD9SC double-stack every day. The MOD.2 are very similar in size.

#7 ·
Never been a glock fan, but own several. A pistol the size of th G19 or m fc xd45c, can do all the things you ask.

#9 ·
In my opinion, you will get one. Then another. Mebbe three. Okay, four. Five, and that is it.
Six is absolutely the last one or you are out of the house, buster.
Seven, cause now you are living alone and can afford it.
Eight, because of that sweet tax return. Nine, darn that new Hickok45 review.
Te...

You see how it goes? Don't sweat it. Get an XDM Compact, and be at peace with the knowledge this will not be your last and only weapon.

#10 ·
I'd recommend an xds. Nope. Not a double stack. I'm assuming you currently do not own a gun. Perhaps that is not a good assumption. But, you wrote, "I want A gun".

In any case, to me the xds is easy to carry, easy to shoot, has a very visible front sight (I like the green), is really accurate and will always go bang.

Good Luck.

#11 ·
Will agree with above, the G19 will be your best bet. Some will say, most can agree, best 9mm to date.

#14 ·
I think I agree with everyone else... but I'd like to add one more suggestion:
Ruger SR9C. Ruger SR9C 3313 Pistol 9mm 3.5 inch 17rd Stainless Online Gun Store
$375 -- It's slim, has an excellent trigger, is small enough to conceal with the 10 round mag, and the 17 round mag gives it a full-sized grip. It's also railed for a light/laser.

#15 ·
If you want a good for all pistol you're gonna have to go rent or go with a friend to shoot and see for yourself. I carried a G23 for years, a friend had a XD 40 that I shot and shot very well. So I just got a XD 9 3.8 and I'm a happy camper. I shoot this gun way better. I also feel a little more confident in handling it should the situation arise. This is my experience, I hope you feel you made a good decision when you get one. But guns are like rabbits, they somehow multiply for some reason that science cannot explain.

#16 ·
Don't get the Glock - they aren't really all that great all the way around. You are now really buying a name, especially since they finally sold out to the single stack 9mm club - fashionably late...perhaps.

Between the XDs - do the Mod.2, I have XDm, XDs and mod.2 all in 9mm. Love them all - but for all three it will serve your purposes the best when considering all you mentioned. all IMHO, of course.

#17 ·
Don't get the Glock - they aren't really all that great all the way around. You are now really buying a name, especially since they finally sold out to the single stack 9mm club - fashionably late...perhaps.

Between the XDs - do the Mod.2, I have XDm, XDs and mod.2 all in 9mm. Love them all - but for all three it will serve your purposes the best when considering all you mentioned. all IMHO, of course.
Glock makes a good gun, it's just not really any better than sim guns in the same price range. The poor trigger & odd grip angle are what put me off & I own 4 in diff Gens. I keep thinking I'll find one I love. My G20sf gen3 is probably my fav. I prefer the feel o just about any other service grade gun to any glock.

#22 ·
That's fair - a good gun, but not great. My personal opinion doesn't matter to anyone but me and I'm sticking with not liking Glock - at least for now. As with taste buds, things change over time - so I expect that as I ageand taste less - I will care less about not owning a Glock(s). Hell, everyone else is doing it - the bandwagon looks like it still has room... Family has Glock - and to me they're kind of like shooting a big black turd. I do like the finish they have tho... Trying to think about anything else I like about them... Uh.... Oh, I don't own one.

So, who wants to talk about High Point now so we can make Glock look good?

#18 ·
I'd recommend an xds. Nope. Not a double stack. I'm assuming you currently do not own a gun. Perhaps that is not a good assumption. But, you wrote, "I want A gun".

In any case, to me the xds is easy to carry, easy to shoot, has a very visible front sight (I like the green), is really accurate and will always go bang.

Good Luck.
Just me, a compact gun is easier to carry but not as much fun to shoot. For a new shooter, full size guns are just easier. The op doesn't have a ccw so first priority is to get a gun, some training & then lots of practice. By then, his/her evaluation for. Ccw will likely change anyway.

Reactions: windsearcher
#19 ·
Agree with 1222, and since I am not a GLock fan, can't suggest one of theirs.... some guns just don't work for some people.

With that being said, while I love my full size XDM 4.5 in.40, it is not an edc carry gun. That purpose is easily done with the XDM compact .... I went with the 9mm on the XDMc. It is big enough,especially with the full size grip giving you 19 +1 rounds... enough features to give you everything you need to do whether range, self defense, home defense, or competition.... and with the rail, it is easy to mount a light / laser.

One gun won't always do everything, and at some times I can't even carry the XDMC and so I need to run with the single stack Kahr CW380 or CW40.... but if I could only have one.... it would be he XDMC.

Reactions: Gman45
#20 ·
I think I agree with everyone else... but I'd like to add one more suggestion:
Ruger SR9C. Ruger SR9C 3313 Pistol 9mm 3.5 inch 17rd Stainless Online Gun Store
$375 -- It's slim, has an excellent trigger, is small enough to conceal with the 10 round mag, and the 17 round mag gives it a full-sized grip. It's also railed for a light/laser.
I gotta agree...even though the gun is uglier than a basket of smashed arseholes, it has a good rep, affordable pricetag and wide availability--spare mags are gonna hurt the wallet though!

Reactions: CajunR
#21 ·
I gotta agree...even though the gun is uglier than a basket of smashed arseholes, it has a good rep, affordable pricetag and wide availability--spare mags are gonna hurt the wallet though!
I've pretty much decided that "uglier than a basket of smashed a$$holes" is going on my tombstone. :)

#26 ·
Get a compact double stack. A double stack makes a more comfortable range gun.
Short grip makes them easier to conceal, barrel length is less important to concealment (for me anyway).

9mm. much cheaper to shoot than .40 or .45. It is an acceptable SD round with good ammo.

In no particular order
Glock 19
XD Mod.2
Walther PPQ M2 (people rave about the trigger)

#31 · (Edited)
I like Glocks and have owned a Model 17 and a Model 20 however IMO I suggest purchasing a XDM in 9MM. Reason for that is if you have to ask about what kind of handgun to purchase then perhaps you and the people around you may benefit from more safety features and the XDM has more.
When a round is chambered in a Glock anything from your finger to a stick or other haphazard trigger snag can cause the weapon to go bang. If you decide on a Glock I suggest pointing the gun in a safe direction, remove the magazine, clear the chamber and pull the trigger. The trigger will remain rearward and that on a Glock is a good indicator the chamber is empty. It's not a 110% guarantee the chamber is empty because a misfire will leave a round chambered and the trigger will be in the rearward/pulled position, etc. If you need to use the gun chamber a round or purchase a suitable Glock.holster.

#34 ·
How many safety features does one need? The Glock will not go bang unless you pull the trigger. Plenty of safety feature for me. I'm not a pocket carry guy, but for those that do, a NY style trigger on your glock is safer than a revolver. It's crap to shoot, but it will be safer. If it will fit in my pocket, it's not a big enough gun to fight with IMO. Then I would only carry a pocket gun as a BUG.

#32 ·

Good Luck.
I just purchased an XDS-9 over the weekend for my fiancé. Money well spent. 4 shots in and I was convinced. Easy to hide, comfortable and accurate. I did have a couple of misfires but from what I've gathered it just needs to be broke in. A lot of shooting and a lot of cleaning. The recoil is heavy for a beginner e.g. My fiancé but she's eager to learn and train to the point she is ready to carry. Anyway, I agree that this is a great piece. I recommend a holster for carrying but you can carry it in your pocket. I bought it for $419 new but I purchased a Mod-2 .40 at the same time with a decent trade in.

#35 ·
I would say to buy whatever you can and like to shoot. Dont forget to take the sights into consideration.

I owned a fair amount of Glocks due to its solid platform, only to learn that I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with them. Always high and to the left, outside of a few yards. It was killing me inside. It was the grip angle. I had a CZ 75 p-01, a sig 2022, and a p95...all of which I could shoot perfectly accurate. I sold the Glocks, and picked up an xdm 4.5, and a VP9 shortly after.

All of which I am accurate with. So which one do I carry? The one that has the best balance of speed and accuracy, which is the VP9. It is light, the sights are phenominal out of the box, and it's accurate in my hands.

The CZ is a tack driver, but the factory sights would need to be changed out for me to be able to run it with speed. I need a wide rear sight notch. Which the XDM doesn't have either. I use the xdm as my bedside with a light mounted.

If I could reccomend one, it would be the VP9, but....magazines are nowhere to be found. They run p30 mags. It is a serious buzz kill. Therefor, I do NOT reccomend buying it....for now.

I would go with an XDM, which would be my goto gun if I could only choose one out of the three that I frequent. The CZ being a close second.

Just go shoot some, see what you like. And go with it. Don't worry about what is cool on the Internet.

#37 ·
I own GLocks but have to work twice as hard to shoot them as well as my XD45c or several others. A Glock is obviously a quality gun, too many shooters using them to not be, but I never liked the grip & apparently many others have the same issue. Witness the Gen4 with replacement back straps, ala the M&P & XDM. All good plastic guns. Not much beats a good steel 1911 though.:p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.