Just in case things weren't bad enough: Bolivian Police Seize 2 Tons of Uranium

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by texan_eagle_scout, Aug 29, 2012.

1. texan_eagle_scout

texan_eagle_scout XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Bolivian Police Seize 2 Tons of Uranium

Published August 29, 2012
    EFE

[​IMG]

Bolivian police on Tuesday confiscated two tons of uranium that was being stored at a building in central La Paz located near the U.S. and Spanish embassies.

Four people, all of them Bolivian nationals, were arrested while they were transferring the uranium from one vehicle to another, Deputy Interior Minister Jorge Perez said.

The radioactive material was in sacks of jute and nylon, he said.

Since Bolivia does not produce uranium, Perez said, authorities assume the consignment originated in either of two neighboring countries that do: Brazil or Chile.

The commander of the elite police unit that carried out the operation, Col. Eddy Torrez, said the seizure was the fruit of a six-week investigation.
    Police pounced when they learned the people in possession of the uranium planned to meet Tuesday with a potential buyer, the colonel said.

Perez said one of the people arrested is an engineer who told police he was holding the uranium for other people, but provided no information on the owners of the cache.

Read more: http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/news/2012/08/28/bolivian-police-seize-2-tons-uranium/#ixzz24ww7EoFq

2. Bucc5207

Bucc5207 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    Holy Weapons of Mass Destruction, Batman! I'm feeling deja vu all over again. No doubt that was not yellowcake uranium, that was not billed out for Iran, who is not developing nuclear weapons, which will not be found after our tanks clear the way for UN inspectors.

3. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +322 / 4
    Probably on its way to our porous southern border to build a dirty bomb.

...nice

4. wyodeseertrat

wyodeseertrat XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My exact thoughts

5. MadMikeH

MadMikeH XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The stock photo of the the guy holding "enriched" uranium is a joke. If it were weapons or fuel grade uranium there is no way people would be hauling it around in sacks with out a lot of people dying. Probably two tons of uranium ore which by itself would produce little harmful radiation. You probably have more radation in your basement or smoke detectors than you realize. Have a cat? Pass a geiger counter over your littler box. Anyone can buy uranium ore off the internet.
    The two tons of cocaine the Bolivian police let pass inorder to make the uranium bust will do more damage on our streets that two tons of uranium ore ever will.

6. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Agreed MadMikeH.

More fear mongering my the media.

7. lylelovett666

lylelovett666 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Was that pure or cut uranium?I hope this doesn't affect the price of uranium on the streets of seattle.I'd hate to lose my connection.

8. Bucc5207

Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    Aha! Yellowcake. Valerie Plame and Joe Wilson will show up in this story, count on it.

9. rambro

rambro XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In south america there are tons of bush people they can hire to do anything for a few dollars per day. Poisoining a few guys is no biggie.

I am glad you brought up drugs, they do test tuns. They put out fall guys in collusion with the corrupt LE for a token bust to put in the media, and just to study the cops other times.

I also thought this is not enough to do anything, on its own. How ever it sounds like a just the start sort of thing. not the end of A ONE TIME THING.

10. Obscura

Obscura XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i knew it!!!

11. Bucc5207

Ratings:
    +80 / 0
    Wait. Are you saying my cat drops radioactive loads? Or are you saying he's been using my litter box? I knew that little bastage was out to get me. Just one more reason to breath shallowly around that box.

12. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
  13. MadMikeH

MadMikeH XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

While snopes.com points to several isolated incidents, I should elaborated on the cat litter comment. The clay that composes most cat litter is only mildly radioactive due to some of the heavy elements it contain when mined. Your cat wil not glow in the dark, but you will get a slightly higher reading from cat litter than natural occuring background radiation was my point. More of a health risk would be breathing the dust from soiled litter than any additional radiation exposure you might get. In the past I worked around nuclear weapons in the Air Force and in my current job as and radiologic/MRI technologist it comes up in seminars from time to time.
    Is Cat Litter Really Radioactive?

14. Rustynuts

Rustynuts XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 11
    You realize EVERYONE is radioactive. Right this second? Everyone has a certain amount of radioactive compounds in their body. How much depends on what you eat and where you live. Also, any granite you may have in your house is typically radioactive as well. Pink/red granite slightly more so.

Plus, yellow cake is delicious! Although I prefer chocolate myself. :p

15. rharp

rharp XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0
    MadMike! I'm currently an X-ray tech too. I'll actually be finishing up Radiology Practitioner Assistant school in April. If you know anyone needing an RPA/RRA, let me know!

Anyway, back on topic: this is just another reason not to own a flipping cat!