Springfield XD Forum banner

Just got my new XDs...

5K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  midias 
#1 ·
Is it a good idea to clean it before taking it to the range, or should it come ready to go?

#3 ·
Yes, clean it first to remove the factory preservative (it really isn't a lube) and then properly lube it per the manual. In addition to the standard field strip, it is a good idea to remove the striker assembly and thoroughly clean the striker channel and striker assembly of all lube, preservative, etc. and leave it bone dry before putting it back together.

#7 ·
So i've been reading about cleaning the striker channel. I've read that electrical contact spray was the best to use as it will leave it bone dry when finished. I was hoping to avoid removing the striker assembly and just doing the field strip cleaning etc. I guess i'll have to invest in a punch to get to the striker channel?

#11 ·
It is much easier to remove the striker assembly, by moving the striker channel forward, from the underside of the slide. Just look, find the black channel, just a small amount of it will be showing, move it forward ( towards the muzzle ) while holding the channel forward, slide off the locking plate. Any type of tool that will fit inside the channel will work. I don`t why more folks don`t do it this way, it is so much safer, faster, and way easier.

#13 ·
Yes. I use isopropyl. Sometimes I'll use Hoppe's too. Alcohol takes it off completely, Hoppe's leaves a little residue. Both of which are perfectly fine for cleaning applications. Just make sure you use some Frog or whatever to get her all nice and lubed again.

#19 ·
Hey guys. I'm new to all of this and have never owned a handgun. Someone mentioned tearing it down per the manual. Mine didn't come with a manual.

I bought a bi-tone XDS 3.3 and know how to do a basic tear down but I'm thinking that what you're talking about here is at a deeper level. Is there a resource you'd recommend for me to look at?

Thanks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

#20 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I'm new to all of this and have never owned a handgun. Someone mentioned tearing it down per the manual. Mine didn't come with a manual.

I bought a bi-tone XDS 3.3 and know how to do a basic tear down but I'm thinking that what you're talking about here is at a deeper level. Is there a resource you'd recommend for me to look at?

Thanks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Go here and download the .pdf manual for your pistol.
Gun Manuals for Handguns & Rifles | Springfield Armory

And here for detail disassembly videos.
Detail Disassembly

#22 ·
At about the 3:00 minute mark in the first disassembly video, James removes the back plate & striker assembly.

#23 ·
Is taking apart the striker assembly really needed for a first cleaning? I have only shot my new xds a handful of times (field strip and clean after each session and when first brought home), but I have yet to disassemble and clean the striker assembly. I am slightly worried about breaking something while taking it apart.

#25 · (Edited)
This is a contentious issue. Some will say "don't mess with the striker" unless you're having problems with light strikes or there is evidence of firing pin/striker "sticking" on the primer caps. Others love to take apart their weapon as far as it will go. I lean towards the former. Just take care not to to drip lubricant into the striker channel.

Here's an example of firing pin sticking. The striker/firing pin doesn't retract quickly enough during the casing extraction phase of auto loading, causing a drag mark to form as the cartridge is ejected. If this isn't happening, and if you're not getting light primer strikes even with good quality ammo, then there isn't any reason to clean the firing pin/striker channel.

A decade in law enforcement. Several decades of owning and maintaining semi-auto firearms & I've only had to clean striker channels twice to deal with sticking issues. Granted, that's my personal experience & your mileage may vary....

#29 ·
When I purchased my XD-S it came with a fair amount of factory gunk in the striker assembly and channel thus an initial dis-assembly and cleaning was in order. This seems to vary rather a lot from what I've read on the various fora.

I don't disassemble the striker assembly for routine cleaning but I do remove it regularly for a visual inspection of the tube or guide or whatever its called. Just checking structural integrity. If there's visual debris buildup I give it a blast or two with a cleaner.

I should note I'm an inveterate tinkerer which may have as much to do with my routine as anything ;)

#31 ·
Can someone explain why there shouldn't be any lube in the striker channel??

I'm not an experienced gun owner so this maybe a pretty stupid question...

I just think... "moving metal parts... probably needs lube"
Because the lube attracts junk into the channel and causes the striker to gum up, move slower and light primer strikes. You want that striker to rattle like a mofo when you dry fire then shake the gun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.