Springfield XD Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just got a new XDM 4.5" barrel gun and have an unusual issue!

15K views 120 replies 23 participants last post by  UGADawgs 
#1 ·
Really like the gun and never had a gun with a grip safety, but shot 1911's and HK's squeeze cockers and that is about it!
Problem is and I never had it with any other gun but I do have small hands and even my gen 1 Glock 27 is a little fat in my hand but all other handguns fit me fine they way they come and I never have to add any grip/side panels.

I also have a CZ P-09 which is identical in size and grip feel to me, but on the XDM when I hold it in hand where it is to me comfortable my palm will barely touch the rear grip safety and not enough to engage it, unless I raise my entire hand up on the grip but then it just doesn't feel very comfortable at all and my aim is off due to discomfort holding my hand so high on grip!

Wonder if anybody else had this weird issue? I know they sell an extended safety but it only sticks out further but not lower in grip (which cant be done), so the only way I can comfortably/accurately shoot it is using some tape on safety to lock it down which I don't like to do and looks ugly.

I do know some grip enhancers like Hogue will cover to safety and keep it down but the Hogue grips do somewhat move and I don't like their looks!

I know the safety can be drilled & pinned in place, but that voids any warranty, so unless somebody has any other ideas I think I may have to buy some grip tape and run a piece vertical down rear grip panel over the entire safety!
Don't have any exp with that type tape and don't know how well it looks and or hold up!

So any thoughts are welcome!
Thank's

Slim

See less See more
#2 ·
My humble opinion is that you rethink your grip. The web of your thumb should be as high into the grip as possible, on any auto pistol. This will also engage the grip safety even with the smallest of hands with zero added effort while also providing more control.

mossyoaktoe
Kansas City

#4 · (Edited)
Really like the gun and never had a gun with a grip safety, but shot 1911's and HK's squeeze cockers and that is about it!
Problem is and I never had it with any other gun but I do have small hands and even my gen 1 Glock 27 is a little fat in my hand but all other handguns fit me fine they way they come and I never have to add any grip/side panels.

I also have a CZ P-09 which is identical in size and grip feel to me, but on the XDM when I hold it in hand where it is to me comfortable my palm will barely touch the rear grip safety and not enough to engage it, unless I raise my entire hand up on the grip but then it just doesn't feel very comfortable at all and my aim is off due to discomfort holding my hand so high on grip! A "high grip" is necessary to properly control the pistol...

Wonder if anybody else had this weird issue? I know they sell an extended safety but it only sticks out further but not lower in grip (which cant be done), so the only way I can comfortably/accurately shoot it is using some tape on safety to lock it down which I don't like to do and looks ugly.This is EXTREMELY dangerous and irresponsible...sounds like a very good way to be thrown off a range and permanently banned from the premesis

I do know some grip enhancers like Hogue will cover to safety and keep it down but the Hogue grips do somewhat move and I don't like their looks! Again...willfully disabling a safety device instead of addressing the underlying issue [your grip] is bad juju sir

I know the safety can be drilled & pinned in place, but that voids any warranty, so unless somebody has any other ideas I think I may have to buy some grip tape and run a piece vertical down rear grip panel over the entire safety!
Don't have any exp with that type tape and don't know how well it looks and or hold up! seriously...not...a...good...idea...at...all...

So any thoughts are welcome!
Thank's

Slim
^^read in bold^^

you need to find professional training...your thought process on this needs a proper perspective and some education...nothing personal intended...

#7 ·
I don't even see how this is possible. I'm drinking, so I'm not going to pull out my XDM 4.5 to measure, but from a picture I took it looks like the grip safety is about even with the bottom of the trigger.

Please ignore the tacticool bayonet it was a gag gift.

In order to miss the grip safety, your wrist would have to be cocked down with the trigger finger pointing up and not straight at the target. Then in order to keep your barrel flat, you'd have to push your shoulder way high in the air. Even then I don't think you could get the pistol up to eye level.

The size of your hands shouldn't matter, with the correct grip you actually have the smallest diameter to hold for two reasons: the grip flares out below the safety and you're holding it at an angle (hypotenuse is always longer than either side).

Like the others have said:

1.) I'd really love to see a picture of your grip and stance to better diagnose the problem.
2.) The proper grip is high and tight to the beavertail. Shoulder, arm, wrist and finger should all be pointing straight at the target

Try reading this one, they even use your pistol in the pictures.

The Fundamentals: Proper Grip

#9 ·
So, how can you possibly shoot the 27? Based on what you've said, there isn't enough grip for you to hold...?

I've seen people try to hold guns that low and it is incredibly dangerous to them and everyone around them. I have mostly seen this after a good slide bite - but that only happens with poor form as well. There is a sweet spot there - and it's not as hard to find as a woman's...just saying.

#21 ·
#25 ·
Rude? You were told modifying that safety would be a dangerous, stupid move. Yet you did it anyway. I just hope to God you don't live near me nor near anyone I care about. You've destroyed part of what makes that gun safe to carry, draw, use, and re-holster. Good luck.

#28 ·
I am shocked how rude some of u Assholes here are, I had a issue with my gun and then since nobody had answers I fixed it myself and there is no reason for being so insulted!
You were given answers and recommendations. However it would seem that you were looking for approval for doing the modification you did. I hope no one gets hurt or worse because of you modification.

#32 ·
Bought it because I liked it but for me the grip safety is bad, for CC I don't like any safety to engage or dis engage, which is why on my new Inox PX 4 F model I converted the safety/decocker to decock only, which surely here not many know but is a very common thing done!

My new CZ P 09 came with both a safety and a decocker unit and I disposed of the safety and with it the grip is perfect! Sadly here many don't know what they are talking about and love to sling insults!

#43 ·
Well f me. Why did I bother writing a response?so the xdm was not your first Bubba mod

#36 ·
Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

The 1911 has always had a grip safety.

It also has a manual thumb safety, which your XD does not.

And I am aware that they are sometimes disabled, but again--it has a thumb safety.

So, please: display some more ignorance for us.

We breathlessly await.

#37 ·
Another Fool spreading false info! The original Colt 1911 type pistol never had the grip safety, the Army insisted Colt put 1 on there for the 1907 Army trials, so for many yrs. before adopted as the 1911 there was NO grip safety!

The original Colt never had a grip safety, but those made for Government trials in 1907 did, to make sure shooter's hand was out of the way of the slide.

The 1909 trial model had a grip safety, but originally had no thumb safety. A crude thumb safety was added, then in the 1910 model both safeties became like those of the pistol finally adopted in 1911.

The thumb safety on the M1911/A1, when on safe, will not only block the sear, but will prevent the hammer from falling if the sear or hammer notches were to fail completely

#38 ·
Wrong.

Here's a picture of a 1911 and a 1911A1:
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Note both have grip safeties.

The 1911 has ALWAYS had a grip safety, despite your ignorant claims that it didn't appear until the 1911A1.

The initial trial models were NOT 1911's.

So: parade more ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.