Springfield XD Forum banner

It's about time to get a 1911

5K views 41 replies 24 participants last post by  silvabaQ 
#1 ·
I have decided it's time to get a 1911 Pistol. I'm going with. 45ACP. There are so many to choose from, it's mind boggling. I've narrowed it down to Springfield Range Officer, Colt Competition or Combat Elite, and Kimber Custom II. Remington R1 Enhanced is kinda interesting too. Looking Around the $1000 mark... What do you think?

#3 ·
I'd look into the Range Officer Operator, or GO TRP, find a gun range that lets you rent guns. The Regular RO is a Range Gun Only, for fixed sights only offers heinie ledge, Harrison Custom, for replacement LPA Kensight or Dawson Precison.

Most colts I've handled are overpriced for quality

R1s feel cheap in your hand
What sights are you looking for?
Ambi safety or not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
I'd look into the Range Officer Operator, or GO TRP, find a gun range that lets you rent guns. The Regular RO is a Range Gun Only, for fixed sights only offers heinie ledge, Harrison Custom, for replacement LPA Kensight or Dawson Precison.

Most colts I've handled are overpriced for quality

R1s feel cheap in your hand
What sights are you looking for?
Ambi safety or not?

3 dot sights would be fine. I'd rather have a fiber optic front sight like the RO Champion has. Ambitious safety doesn't matter. The R1 feels okay but I'm leary of Remington.

#4 ·
I just went through the same thing. Although I started with a $1400 budget, I decided to start low with a Metro American Classic. Haven't even cleaned the factory oil off yet. Four day weekend will fix that.

I liked the Range Officers I handled, but the sights are all black. I would have to paint them or replace them.

#6 ·
Yes, I looked at a RO and the sights were black. What's the logic in that?

#5 ·
Interested in this thread. And I don't want to hijack it.
For the $1,000 price-point, is there an "AR build" type of 1911 where you can purchase all the components and basically build it yourself? Or, I suppose, to obtain the proper tolerances for accuracy, are there custom shops that can do this, or does that really blow the budget?

#7 · (Edited)
For the $1,000 price-point, is there an "AR build" type of 1911 where you can purchase all the components and basically build it yourself?
Not typically unless you are both very mechanically inclined and have acces to specialized tools to fit components.

are there custom shops that can do this, or does that really blow the budget?
Yes and Yes.

Yes, I looked at a RO and the sights were black. What's the logic in that?
Black sights provide the best setup for precison target shooting. The Range Officer was marketed as such, therefore it has good quality Bo-Mar style sights.

#11 ·
Looking for full size or commander or champion , my LW Champion RO runs like a top ;the full size Champion Operator has Same sight profile, as RO Champion White dot Novak Rear , Fiber Optic Up Front

#14 ·
I've been looking at the RO Operator and Compact as platforms for custom work...I think you could do a lot worse for the price.

Nothing wrong with a Colt, though.

It all comes down to what you're really looking for...carry, range toy, HD pistol, some of each?

One additional thing--at your price, if you look for a used Dan Wesson...you may actually get the best deal going. I've seen used Heritage models right around the $1000 mark...

#15 ·
I'll throw in another option: Sprngfield Loaded model. I have one of their parkerized Loaded models that I bought as my first 1911 and it's been outstanding so far! Nice trigger, finish, good 3-dot Tritium night sights, and has been a good value at the $730 price I paid for it about a year and a half ago.

#16 ·
For a grand I'd also consider Sig and S&W. The ejector isn't traditional but the quality is excellent.

Best advice though I'd save a bit more and get a Dan Wesson - a big step up.

Reactions: Klagz13
#22 ·
Read the owners manual, nothing exciting there. Watched a few you tube videos on field strip and cleaning. Took it apart, cleaned and lubed. Ready for the range.

#28 ·
Eyes are good and didn't make any idiot scratches!
You tube was helpful.

#30 ·
God I love the 1911.
Just don't make the mistake of shooting a REALLY high quality 1911, you'll be ruined for life. I've owned and parted with several mass produced 1911s since buying my Wilson Combat Professional a few years ago. Factory 1911s just don't seem right anymore.

#34 ·
Been thinking about this some lately too and looking into some of the build your own 1911 kits.
For reasonable priced solid ones sprinfields are right there.
I believe kimbers are still having some rust issues tho (correct me if i'm wrong on that).
In CA you can build your own if you start with an 80% frame and do ALL the work yourself. And the way the law was interpreted to me by the legal guy at my company, you can't ever ever sell it in CA.

#35 ·
Hey guys, I'm a major SA guy and LEO firearms instructor that owns 7 polymer XDs in various platforms. I have recently purchased a TRP Operator full rail and wanted to look into the purchase of a Champion Operator... Good news, bought the Operator for 730 with VZs and an aftermarket hammer at 90-100 condition. Since it's the 4 inch platform, will the aftermarket parts fit from the compact or full size parts... (mag well, Pearce front strap... ect.) I am quite versed in the polymer platforms but very new to their 1911s... Please help!!!

#37 ·
Grips, magwell, etc--that is, anything having to do with the frame--are full sized.
Ok, so when it comes to the Govt or officer choices for MSHs or just a magwell, which would I choose??? Thanks for the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.