Issues with XDM9C Springer optic base

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by Broncman, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Dec 26, 2016 #1
    Broncman

Broncman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    I put a Venom on my XDM9C using the Springer base. Degreased and used blue loctite on the screw that holds the base to the slide. After 4 to 5 mags it comes loose again. Done it twice. Waiting on a reply from Springer.

One screw to hold it has me bothered. Thinking about drilling the Springer base and installing the roll pin from the factory sight.

Ayn one else had this issue on the 5.25 slide?

2. Dec 27, 2016 #2
    ADOLORIS

ADOLORIS XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    Running a Deltapoint Pro on my 5.25 and had it come loose only once early on. After degrease and new bottle of blue loctite it has held for over 1200 rounds. Time will tell, but the single hold down screw is a design weakness IMHO. I wish there was another mounting option available that doesen't require custom fabrication/milling. The OSP is an obvious choice but I love the 5.25 and already have an older 4.5" model house/range gun. SA won't offer the OSP slide as a stand alone part...

3. Dec 27, 2016 #3
    Broncman

Broncman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Thanks. Is your XDM the stainless version? If the latest round of loctite gets loose, I may bed the sight into the slide with some DevCon similar to the way I bed my rifle actions. On my FTR rig, I bed dang near everything including scope bases to the actions. Really keeps things put!

I may try some Loctite Primer before I apply the loctite next time. Loctite is anerobic and cures in the lack of oxygen. On regular metals, they pull the oxygen out of the loctite and it sets up. Stainless really does not do that well and they make a primer for stainless .

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Dec 28, 2016 #4
    ADOLORIS

ADOLORIS XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +50 / 0
    Not stainless here, Melonite. Primer sounds like a good idea for SS.
    I did consider retapping the slide for a beefier Torx screw but did not as I wanted to be able to return the gun to stock condition adjustable rear sight in the future. I have a picture posted in the optics section of this forum of the DR Pro on my 5.25. I did have to tap the springer base to accept the Leupold Torx mounting screws.

5. Jan 2, 2017 #5
    Broncman

Broncman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Just wanted to update this. First off the folks at Springer Precision are top notch! They offered to exchange this one in see if the tolerances between my gun and there base was "stacked" so to speak. I ended up bedding the base to the slide and so far after about 500 Rds, no issues.

• Like Like x 2