Issue with my truck when starting

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by Butterface, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Butterface

Butterface XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Need some help if anyone can offer it. The truck is a 2002 2500HD Chevy Silverado, 6.0 gas, 150,000 miles. I just recently started having a problem when starting it up. The truck will crank as normal, no odd cliking sound, or grinding, or any strain to crank. But, with the first turn of the key, that's all it does is crank but doesn't tuen over. If I turn the key back to off and crank again it starts right up with no problem.

Now that it's started I can turn the truck off, crank the key forward and it fires right up no issues at all just like normal. HOWEVER.........if the truck sits for say, 10-15 minutes or more, the same issue occurs where it will not tuen over but just crank until I back the key to off and turn it again and then it starts. Does thuis sound frustrating or what?

I went to Advanced Auto and had the battery, alternator, and starter tested and everythig came back normal. The test did say the battery could use charging but the employee said that it wasn't low enough that it would be causing this issue. I am attaching the test below so you can see exactly what it says. My battery is just under 2 years old, I think December 2011 is when I got it.

Now I thought maybe I had gotten some "bad gas" about 2 weeks ago. Right after I put gas in the truck is when I started having this issue. Coinsidence? Maybe, but I'm not sure if it was that or not. Just in case it was, I let that gas go until my gas light came on. I went to a different station put in half a tank of 93 (which I usually use anyways) and put a can of sea foam in the tank. After that the truck started fine like 2 times and then back to the issue. I let that run through, put in another half tank of 93 and sucked half a can of sea foam in though the brake booster line (main vaccuum line) let it sit for 30 minutes. I then went out and drove it hard, getting the RPM'S up really high. Still the same problem afterwards. On Wednesday I put in a bottle of that Star Tron enzyme fuel treatment which I use i all my lawn equipment and the stuff is good.

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - HOME

So after that, I have run about a 2/3 of the gas out with the start tron treatment and still have the starting issue. Just happened this morning and I am really frustrated now. I can't figure out what is causing this and it's bothering me. It's not a "huge" issue, but the fact it's happening is embarassing when out anywhere and the truck just cranks but doesn't start and I have to crank it again.

The one thing I do know is this; it only happens after the truck has been turned off for 10-15 minutes or more. If the truck gets turned off and right back on or off for just a few minutes and then back on, it starts fine. What is involved in the process of staring this truck where time is involved? Almost like fuel isn't where it's supposed to be when cranking because after sitting it's leaked back down to where it's not supposed to be. Not sure if that makes any sense or not. Is some type of pump not pumping the fuel to where it's supposed to be with the first crank and then turning it off and back on gets it to where its supposedto be? Not sure if that makes any sense either.

If I keep the key turmed forward and keep cranking and cranking, it starts sometimes. Other times I have to back it to off, crank it again and then it turns right over as normal. I replaced the plugs and wires 2 years ago as well as the battery. The starter and alternator are original but tested fine the other day. What could it be? Anyone that can help me?

Here is the test from Advanced Auto 2 days ago.

Attached Files:

2. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    First off, I'm no GM expert, but everything is pretty similar. if its not turning the engine, its a bad starter. if it just spins the engine, but it doesn't light up, then you need to look at the basics; fuel and spark. If no spark, I'd probably be thinking crank shaft position sensor. That should throw you a code. If its mo fuel; a bad fuel pump usually works, and then it doesn't )if it ever fails to start completely, beat in the tank while someone is cranking it. that will confirm a bad pump), but maybe a weak one in conjunction with a dirty filter. Your fuel treatment might have knocked a bunch of sludge free from the tank to clog the filter, and it takes time for the pump the get through that mess. in that case, start with a new fuel filter, then pull the in-tank pump and filter.

3. Butterface

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

You're right, I was thinking of changing the fuel filter when I was driving in to work this morning. The last time I did that was 2007 I think. I think I was having starting issues back then as well.

4. cabezon

cabezon XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I would check the fuel pump relays. It sounds more electrical/control than fuel pressure. otherwise it would eventually catch on the first crank.

5. Butterface

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would need to take it to a shop then. I'm no mechanic! How exactly do you check those?

6. N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    Well....at least the transmission is working good, right?? :confused:

7. kvo45acp

kvo45acp XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    I would start with the fuel filter, you need a new one anyway if you haven't changed it since 2007. I change mine very 30k in my 2001 Chevy.

8. RickCochet

RickCochet XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Fuel pump relays are basically fuses. they should be lined up in a black plastic box under the hood. Remove the lid and inside the lid should be a layout of the relays and what they're for. you can probably swap out another relay of the same amps to test and see if this is your problem. Last time i had a bad fuel pump relay i used the one for the rear defrost for a couple of weeks until a new one came in. I did have to order from a dealer. The autozone type stores didn't carry them.

9. js12278

js12278 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am leaning towards fuel pressure regulator or pump, possibly filter. When you turn the truck on first, don't start it, just turn it to on. do you hear the pump run? If you do let it run until it stops, then start the truck. If it starts up you know where you have to check, pump or regulator.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

10. Butterface

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh yeah no problesm there. Why do you ask? It's just initial start up problems I'm having.

Yeah you're right. The more I think about it the more I think that might be an issue. After the truck sits for 10-15 minutes or more fuel goes back to wherever it usually sits. When I turn the key fuel can't make it's way through a clogged up filter with enough force. When I turn it to off and try again then there is enough fuel and force to get the fuel where it needs to go. I don't know if that correct or makes any sense but it seems somewhat logical doesn't it?

Hmm, I wonder if this could be it? If it was "bad" wouldn't the truck not start at all but just crank?

11. Butterface

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was thinking this as well, glad you posted that thought. I have turned the key to on just short of cranking and waited a few seconds but I really don't hear any noises at all...:confused:

Would it do that after sitting for 10-15 minutes but not do it after sitting for just 3-4 minutes if that was the case? I ask because my truck will not turn over if sitting for more than 10 minutes. However, if I turn the truck off, wait 30 seconds to a minute it will start right back up like normal.

12. 80z28s6

80z28s6 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There is a check valve in the fuel pump. When it sits for more than say 15 min, the fuel in the line starts to drain back into the tank so the line us now dry. Basically when you turn the key a second time and leave it in thw on position before hit start you are repriming the line. Change out the pump assy, take two asprins and call me in the morn. Lol

Sent from my SCH-R530M using Tapatalk 2

13. Butterface

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That sounds like it could be it. Makes a lot of sense and sounds exactly like what issue I am experiencing.

14. RickCochet

RickCochet XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ?

When mine was "bad" sometimes it would start and sometimes nothing at all. Finally one day it gave out while running and left me on side of the road. When yours doesn't start. Let it sit for a while and turn the key to on without trying to start it. you should hear the pump "hum" as it pressurizes the system. If it doesn't hum it could be the relay. if it does, but the truck still won't start. You prolly have another problem.

15. N.E. Tx.XD

N.E. Tx.XD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    Was just remembering last year sometime wasn't it, when you had the trans. troubles with same truck.