Issue with 4.5 XDM 9mm in match shoot today

Discussion in 'Gun Games: Shooting Competition' started by waynesigmeister, Jan 30, 2012.

1. waynesigmeister

waynesigmeister XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I shot my new XDM today in Limited class, USPSA match. I am shooting 9mm, UMC factory loads and some reloads. During the match, the gun twice malfunctioned on me. When I running and shooting, a spent shell exited the barrel but then stopped, apparently causing the slide to stop. To resolve the issue, I had to pull the stop back to the slide lock, eject the magazine and push the shell down and out of the gun, re-install a new magazine, slide rack a new round in a continue to shoot. Needless to say, this caused me major seconds during the match. Anyone have an idea as to what is going on. I put 150 rounds through the gun the day before the match and cleaned it after the practice shoot. I would welcome any suggestions.

2. VR4

VR4 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    My first thought is your shooting UMCs which are notorious for crappy reloads which is what they are. Also check your reloads as well. Have you tried firing some well known brand ammo like win?

3. phred

phred XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did it jam with the reloads or factory ammo? I have the same gun and haven't had a problem. How many rounds have been fired total? Was it lubed? Were you limp wristing it?

4. lowbar

lowbar XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, I would say bad ammo. My full size 9mm has not given me any issues. I don't shoot reloads.

5. waynesigmeister

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My gun was cleaned and lubed after I had taken it to the range for testing. I had no problems with the ammo during the practice. I had put a total of 150 rounds through the gun prior to the match. My reload is a 115 grain, FMJ, 4.2 grains of Clays with a 1.136" OAL. I have had no problems with my Beretta 92Fusing either the reload or UMC. I could agree that I weak wristed the gun because it was during two running stages where the jams occurred. I fired approx. 200-250 rounds during the match, so a total of 400 rounds have been fired through the gun.

6. waynesigmeister

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The gun is a newer 4.5 model. I have a PRP trigger kit, Canyon Creek extended magazine release, Springer stainless steel guide rod, Dawson adjustable front and rear sights on the gun. The ammo has not been chronographed, so I just bought a chronograph and waiting for it to arrive. I also just bought dies for my Dillon 550 so I will start reloading my own ammo.

7. waynes_world_45

waynes_world_45 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    limp wristed it....extracted but didnt eject

your reloads are fine

8. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Type 3 malfunction. Sometime crap just happens. Learn to clear the malfunction & move forward. UMC ammo does not have a geat track record for reliabilty.

9. Pokerstar

Pokerstar XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is my guess too, also, if I read correctly, its a very new pistol with few rounds through it, still breaking in!

Send it to me with 1K rounds and I will be glad to break it in for you! :cool:

10. ErichF

ErichF XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree about the faulty grip. Running and gunnin' reveals every inconsistency and weak spot in your technique. The only malfs I have with my 525 are in matches where I'm doing something weird (weak hand point n shoots, etc).

11. szhttm

szhttm XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If it happens to you again, check the position of the thumb near the slide release lever. Its happened to me that during a quick mag change my thumb slid up a little and was bumping the slide lock just enough to slow down the slide and cause a jam.

This happens to me when I switch from a 1911 to the XDm because I get use to riding the saftey on the 1911.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
    :cool:

12. Mr. YACYAS

Mr. YACYAS XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My 4.5 runs fine with UMC. I agree with the others in it being either your reloads or limb wristing.

13. Gregg

Gregg XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I routinely shoot the 5.25 in IDPA competition with 147 gr. reloads and have yet to experience a problem with anything except steel cased ammo. I use Monarch brass 9mm 115 gr ammo for practice putting 200 - 300 rnds through the gun in a practice session. I'm notorious for not cleaning my guns after every shooting, and frequently will put 750 - 1000 rnds through one before I give it a bath, still no problems.