Springfield XD Forum banner

Is VP9 really that much better?

24K views 128 replies 39 participants last post by  CDKJudoka 
#1 ·
Alright, so if y'all recall I recently bought an M&P after many trips to the gun store to compare it with the VP9. I eventually went with the M&P because it feels so great in hand, dropped a DCAEK in it, and aside from the excessive pre-travel I'm quite happy with it.

But I keep reading about how great the VP9 shoots, something I can't speak to since nobody around here rents them out. And after getting a tax return this year after expecting to pay, I can't help but to consider getting a VP9 as well (unless I venture into the hammer world with a 2022, P226, Beretta, etc.).

Before I get serious about spending perfectly good ammo money, is the VP9 really that good at the range?

I know this is subjective, but like I said, I can't try for myself without buying one.

#2 ·
As a former M&P owner (and not a VP9 owner...yet)...

Yes, it is that much better.

While the Apex parts really improve the M&P tigger, the VP9's is still better. Shorter reset, crisp break...it's probably the second best striker trigger out there (with the best out of the box striker trigger out there right now being the Sig P320).

#3 ·
As a former M&P owner (and not a VP9 owner...yet)...

Yes, it is that much better.

While the Apex parts really improve the M&P tigger, the VP9's is still better. Shorter reset, crisp break...it's probably the second best striker trigger out there (with the best out of the box striker trigger out there right now being the Sig P320).
Thank you for that comment. I have been researching for two days trying to find out what one has over the other. Both felt good in the hand, but have not fired either.

#4 ·
I've had a couple of MP's and I like them, in fact just sold a Pro model. And I have a VP9 and yes it's that much better. With possible exception to the Sig P320 because I've yet to own or even shoot one, the VP9 is the best striker fired gun you can buy. Best ergos, best trigger, super accurate, HK quality. And at the price they're selling them for they're a bargain.

#9 ·
IMO, it's not the best striker fired gun one can buy. For one, what's best is subjective and obviously not everyone is going to like every gun or trigger. I have two Sig 320's, a VP9 and a PPQ. I will say the VP9 is right up there with the best but the best? IMO, the PPQ trigger is best, followed by the 320, then the VP9, as far as striker fired goes. I haven't shot a P99 and a few others but of the three, that's how I would rate them. I have trigger time with the M&P9 as that's what we are forced to shoot and carry with my company. Of course I"m a Glock fan boy as well but the VP9 is superior to a stock Glock trigger IMO.

Reactions: warbird1
#5 ·
This is totally subjective but i don't think so. Ive had a chance to shoot one and its comparable to a PPQ in recoil and and i think the PPQ has the better trigger. I haven't had a chance to shoot a Sig 320 so i really can't help there. Sure , it does have a better trigger than the M&P but less of an overall shooting experience imo. M&P is much softer shooting gun.

#104 ·
Get a PPQ M1, and then have some left over for ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What he said. The vp9 might be better but is it $100 better than a PPQ? Not sure, but I did like my PPQ while I had it. Sold it because I didn't like the conventional mag release. I love that walther lever type release

#8 ·
As some one who just got back from shooting an M&P pro, PPQ M1, VP9 and a Glock 32 my answer is with out a doubt Yes. The Vp9 really does set a new standard for striker fired polymer hand guns. Between the trigger and the ergonomics it is faster, softer and just so easy to control. The only other one that came close was the PPQ but for some reason it's a snappy gun that isn't as easy for me to shoot fast and accurate.

I'm still waiting to shoot the SIG P320 but from dry firing them I'm not sold on the trigger.

#12 ·
As some one who just got back from shooting an M&P pro, PPQ M1, VP9 and a Glock 32 my answer is with out a doubt Yes. The Vp9 really does set a new standard for striker fired polymer hand guns. Between the trigger and the ergonomics it is faster, softer and just so easy to control. The only other one that came close was the PPQ but for some reason it's a snappy gun that isn't as easy for me to shoot fast and accurate.

I'm still waiting to shoot the SIG P320 but from dry firing them I'm not sold on the trigger.
There is absolutely no way the VP9 is softer shooting than any full sized model M&P. Not even close!

#11 ·
Ok, I'll be the odd man out. I own a VP9, M&P Pro 9 and have owned a fullsize M&P 9 and 40. MY Pro 9's trigger is as good, if not better than MY VP9. The Pro and the VP beat the regular M&P's by a good bit. The VP9 can be made to fit a variety of hands, but the M&P feels pretty damn good with only a backstrap swap. IMO, you won't go wrong with either one. I'm just glad I have both. :)

Reactions: warbird1
#19 ·
Soft shooting is mostly subjective.

You really need to do a few Bill Drills with each gun before you can get an objective basis to compare them. Take the draw out of it and start on the target, repeat 5 times or so.

Sometimes the results are not what you expect.

#20 ·
Most modern pistols in the category you mentioned are quite adequate as service/duty guns. Choosing one over the other boils down to small differences between very good candidates. Are you achieving accurate shot placements with your M&P? If so, it is doubtful that the VP9 will be remarkably different. Of course trigger actions vary along with ergonomics but competent shooters make adjustments to place shots where desired with consistency. The VP9 is an excellent choice and there are good reasons to buy it, but it's probably not going to be any more accurate than what you have now. I would buy one and keep your M&P too.

#24 ·
I'll repeat a previous mini-review I posted on the VP9: I was less-than-impressed over the gritty trigger.

One sample, to be sure. But all the fawning falls on deaf ears after that experience.

#25 ·
I'll repeat a previous mini-review I posted on the VP9: I was less-than-impressed over the gritty trigger.

One sample, to be sure. But all the fawning falls on deaf ears after that experience.
While I don't dislike my VP9's trigger, it definately wasn't all that I had read and heard about. It's ok. And is "better" than my Glock triggers, but I've been shooting Glocks for 25 years and am just fine and dandy with a stock Glock trigger. I've always said about a Glock's trigger, "A Glock is a Glock is a Glock." No matter which model. And I have 15 Glocks in 12 different models. ;)

#26 ·
I can only speak for the trigger on my VP9, after a 1000 rounds or so zero grit, short take up, super short reset. 4.5 to 5 lb clean break. Everything you could want in a striker fired gun.

#28 ·
No accuracy issues except for shooting high all the way out to 15 yards. Definitely not combat sighting.

All of my XD/XDm-series pistols, and those in the family, had smoother triggers out of the box.

#29 ·
I'd have to disagree.

The XD series triggers are mushy, with a sloppy break, and a long reset.

A stock Glock trigger is a lot better than the XD series, and the VP9's is far superior to a Glock's.

Just my experience with the platforms.

#30 ·
To repeat: One sample, to be sure. But there was no denying that sample's crappy trigger.

Recent XDm triggers have been excellent. I'd have to guess they've made substantial improvements.

#31 ·
That's the one thing I won't fault a trigger for... "gritty". All that means is that it isn't broke in. I'm not saying that is OK. It's not something I expect from a good maker. But gritty gets smooth with use. I polish every trigger I get anyway just because I don't feel like waiting 5000 rounds to get a 5000 round trigger.

The HK sights are actually "combat" sights. Point of aim, no hold. They are not "target" sights, precision sights. But most new folks shoot HKs low because they use a 6 o'clock hold.

#32 ·
That's the one thing I won't fault a trigger for... "gritty". All that means is that it isn't broke in. I'm not saying that is OK. It's not something I expect from a good maker. But gritty gets smooth with use. I polish every trigger I get anyway just because I don't feel like waiting 5000 rounds to get a 5000 round trigger.

The HK sights are actually "combat" sights. Point of aim, no hold. They are not "target" sights, precision sights. But most new folks shoot HKs low because they use a 6 o'clock hold.
Agreed. All my SD guns are POS/POA. Now I do like a 6 o'clock on my target sighted guns.

#36 ·
Save some cash and go with the PPQ m2.. in my hand the trigger is more to my liking but the big issue for me at least is that darn paddle may release that the H&K has on all their pistols. Walther fixed that i issue with the m2.

#39 ·
I would take a VP-9 over any M&P that I have shot. Oh yes...without question.

Would I swap my Glocks for the VP-9? I dunno. I am very used to the Glock 19/17 platform and trust it.

I have thought about buying a VP-9 this year...just to add one to the collection. They are simply too good NOT to have one.

Soft shooting? I have shot a 9mm P-30 and thought it was very soft shooting, indeed. If the VP-9 is that soft then yeah...I'd say it is a softer shooter than the M&P. The P-30 was also much more accurate than any M&P I have shot. I have heard that the VP-9 matches the P-30 in the accuracy arena as well.

#48 ·
Wow, thanks again guys for all the input.

Can't say the paddle really bothers me since I used to have a PPS. And I recognize I'm asking questions that can only have very subjective answers. But I'm not going to be able to try for myself until I outright buy one.

And just to be clear my M&P is staying put either way (for now); I really like that thing. The VP9 would supplement it and my Glock.

Thanks again for all the discussion!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.