Is this really Federal ammo and is it any good?

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by dkbikes4life4130, Jul 24, 2009.

1. dkbikes4life4130

dkbikes4life4130 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    AMM-406 - Ammo 9mm Federal Classic Hi-Shok 115 Grain +P+ JHP 50 Round Box Recommended for Law Enforcement

It has a bunch of good reviews and I know the box says Federal but Cheaper Than Dirt is listed as the manufacturer.

If it is good ammo, I'm going to order a box for my new M&P. I cant find any HP ammo around here. Places still sell out as soon as they get it in.

I know it is +p+ and that is probably pushing the limits of what the gun can handle. For that reason, I am going to shoot 20 rounds at the range to make sure it functions and then the rest will be saved as carry only ammo.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. fltbed

fltbed XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Back in the early days of 9mm JHP’s both the 9BPLE (LE for law enforcement) and the standard 9BP gained a good reputation for reliability and stopping power.
    They used the same 115 gr. Bullet with the only real difference being the velocity.
    Standard 9BP was loaded to a nominal 1180 f.p.s.
    9BPLE was loaded to approximately. 1300 f.p.s.

The only complaints I’ve ever heard about the LE version was excessive muzzle flash and signs of advanced wear to aluminum frame pistols popular back then.
    Since the introduction of Cor-Bon’s 115gr. JHP +P which offers slightly more velocity without the muzzle flash and at only +P pressures, the popularity has fallen off a bit.

At only 41.79 a box of 50, that’s quite a bargain.:shock:

Jeff

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  3. dkbikes4life4130

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Thanks for the info. If those are the biggest complaints then I think I'm ok. This is going in a M&P so I dont know how that will differ from the aluminum frame.

As long as they are reliable and dont clog like I have heard early JHP designs do, then I think I'll order them. I'm not going to shoot this regularly so I'm not real worried about wear. After I shoot the 20 or so at the range, it wont be getting shot again unless I need to save my life.

4. Mad Pick

Mad Pick XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Maybe.

I bought a few boxes of this stuff from CTD in October 2008, and the price was $14.59/box. Yes, the exact same stuff -- item AMM-406, 50 rounds per box.

While it may still be a good price, I think we're seeing more of the price-jacking that CTD has become famous for during the last year . . . .

5. dkbikes4life4130

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Wow, ammo has gone up that much? I've only been shooting since January and even WWB is that much at Wal-Mart. All the JHP around here is atleast $1 a round for any of the decent stuff. Thats why I thought this was a good deal.

6. Mad Pick

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    No, ammo hasn't gone up that much. A few months ago there were a lot of "Cheaper Than Dirt hate threads" because their prices absolutely SKYROCKETED around election time, and people accused them of taking advantage of the panic. Rightfully so, in my opinion.

While I agree that $14/50 is a darned good deal for JHP, I suspect that CTD has added a serious markup to arrive at today's price.

When you're buying JHP, if it's for self-defense, don't shop based only on price. Look at recommendations based on performance. You won't actually shoot much of it (a few hundred rounds, maybe, to make sure it feeds well in YOUR gun), so the price per round isn't significant in the big picture. How well it work on a bad guy, though, might be VERY important.

That said, I really don't know how well this CTD/Federal ammo performs.

7. sourpatch45

sourpatch45 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    IMO i would use a more common self defence ammo like gold dots.

gold dots are great, they are used by many LEO around thr country and have easily proven themselves as a great round

personally i carry buffalo bore ammo loaded with gold dots

another good brand that loads gold dots is double tap ammo.

both of those are very hot rounds using a proven projectile

double tap 115 grain 50 pack for $35.95
    DoubleTap Ammunition

here is their listing of all their 9mm ammo
    DoubleTap Ammunition

here is some 9mm buffalo bore ammo
    9mm Luger (+P) And (+P+) Pistol & Handgun Ammunition

8. handcruser

handcruser XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think that is highway robbery. I can buy any of the Federal or Speer JHP ammo for around $21 a box. Maybe I am just lucky. And yes, it is 50 round boxes.

9. XprincoX

XprincoX XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    wow that ammo is VERY expensive. it's literally half that price on buds last week...

10. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    Cheaper Than Dirt is NOT a manufacturer. They are a retailer or perhaps even a re-packager of ammo. And really, though those are pretty good rounds that is an atrocious price... but then, a lot of ammo is overpriced right now. Reloading is better, IF you can get primers.

11. Jack the Toad

Jack the Toad XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I paid under 15$ per 50 from ammo to go prior to Mr. Obama being elected. That may be an o.k. price now.

12. ArmyBound

ArmyBound XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    think you are mistaken. dont think you have ever seen federal +p jhp under $15

13. Mad Pick

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Wrong. See my earlier post. It was that cheap under the CTD label.

14. Myk9noseknows

Myk9noseknows XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    Sorry to be the bearer of honest news, but nearly every test you find now days on Gold Dots show again, and again, that they DO NOT expand when fired through just a layer or two of clothing. Sure, in ballistic gel, water, or another mediums they expand great and look like the round to buy, but in a real world shooting, they are not much better than a FMJ.

So they may feed, fire, and are accurate, but if they don't expand, they are just expensive FMJ's. They also give a lot of muzzle blast

I would say any quality, and name brand JHP is about as good as the last (like one guy said though, I would only buy a Bonded round).

I really would not drink the Kool-Aid on this one and get on the bandwagon of the marketing jargon (members here bow down to HST's like it's the 2nd coming which is just ridiculous, there is nothing magic about them) and next week it will be something else. Buy a few brands, test their accuracy and reliability in your firearm.

As for 9mm's, I have found that Fiocchi 147gr JHP's 9mm function perfectly and are the most accurate out of my CZ 75, Sig P6, and Sig P239. They are cheaper at a box of 50rds than most other 20/25 round boxes. I usethe following for my other 9mm's, HST's in my G19 and DPX in my HK's. The Kahr is fine with the old dinosaur HydraShocks