Springfield XD Forum banner

Is this really a poor man's silencer?

12K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  Acheron2010 
#1 ·
#2 ·
if you want to become a Felon...that is manufacturing an illegal suppressor and without an appropriate Form 1, it is a Federal Crime...

Had this discussion a couple weekends ago at the range...in a world where the ATFE can reclassify a product as being able to reclassify a platform based upon improvised shooting positions, what makes anyone think ^^that^^ won't land you in Federal Prison? o_O

#4 ·
here's the thing. it's sold as a solvent trap, not a suppressor. If you decide to send a round through it to diminish the report of your firearm, you have manufactured a suppressor (from reclaimed parts) WITHOUT a Form1 tax stamp, which is a felony.

The ATF is very aware of these devices being sold... and many in the NFA community don't call these solvent traps. We call them ATF Traps.

#6 ·
here's the thing. it's sold as a solvent trap, not a suppressor. If you decide to send a round through it to diminish the report of your firearm, you have manufactured a suppressor (from reclaimed parts) WITHOUT a Form1 tax stamp, which is a felony.

The ATF is very aware of these devices being sold... and many in the NFA community don't call these solvent traps. We call them ATF Traps.
Thanks Knight, that's exactly what I thought-- but didn't know for sure.

#7 ·
well here's the other thing. you need to serialize it correctly. there are requirements for the letters to be legal. When you SBR as an entity other than individual, the full name of that entity has to be spelled out on the firearm. Example:

George's Super Awesome Totally Legit Living and Revocable Trust
SN: GSATLLRTS-001

with the requirements for depth and letter height, you're not going to get that on a nano-sized device. so your next alternative is to put it on the oil filter itself. well guess what? They don't last all that long. and you can't just spin a new filter on it, it's a new serialized part, and that requires ANOTHER $200 tax stamp every time you replace the filter.

These days when you can get a brand new halfway decent honest to Christ suppressor for about $500 (stamp included) that will last tens of thousands of rounds ... I often wonder why anyone would seriously look at this thing and think it's a good idea. Clever? sure... but unless you're dealing with end of times mad max and zombies, you are wasting your time (and money).

#8 ·
It blows the crap out of the paper filter media inside on anything larger than .22 (.223 one round completely screws up the filter)

I would use a used one or at least pour a teaspoon down the filter media to make it thicker, otherwise it makes it into a big bloated canister (yes it bulges the thin aluminum body of the filter) of confetti

not that I know it from personal experience or anything ;)

#21 ·
Now I say, BAN potatoes! :mad:

#12 ·
So it's legal to hook it up and use it as a "solvent trap," but the minute you shoot a round, it's a felony?

So F'ing stupid it hurts. Thanks FDR. WHAT AN IDIOT!

#18 ·
they make a mess of your digestive system as well :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.