Springfield XD Forum banner

Is this a problem?

4K views 53 replies 12 participants last post by  Brickboy240 
#1 ·
So I've put roughly 275 rounds through my Gen 4 Glock 17. Bought it used and owner said they had put through about 500. Never had an issue with it and love the gun. So 2 weeks ago I decided to run my defensive ammo through the gun. Retiring the xdm 40 cal from nightstand duty and promoting the Glock. I ran several nags mags of gold dot 147 gr through it. Totaled 65 rounds of hollow point no issues at all. Then ran 50 rounds of 115 gr Aguila ball ammo and no issues.

After that I said if it's on nightstand duty I want to add a light. Got the TLR 1 installed. Now I wanted to run more mags of my defensive ammo through since adding the light to make sure that would not cause any issues. So I went today and fired 50 rounds of 147 gr gold dot with the light attached... no issues again. After that I decided to shoot some more but with target ammo the range sold. It happened to be 115 gr PMC ball ammo. I had 2 stove pipes within 10-12 rounds. Then the rest fired fine. Why did this happen? Was it because of the light being attached and the 115 gr doesn't have enough balls to make the gun cycle properly or what? I figure since the defense ammo fired fine I shouldn't really worry but I'm also wondering, why did this happen?

#2 ·
If the light is attached to the frame, why would it affect performance of the slide? I run 115s at the range and have never had an issue with the same light installed on a 19.

The powder charge matters more than bullet weight in regards to the slide recoiling. Maybe pmc has some weaker stuff than what you normally run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
I'm not sure why it would affect the slide. I just know that a well know member on this site highly recommended that even though I shot the gun with my defense of loads, if I added a light I better run several more mags through it. I think they're used to be a problem with older Glock's perhaps the gen three, where they would not fire properly when a light was attached.

#3 ·
Was it because of the light being attached and the 115 gr doesn't have enough balls to make the gun cycle properly or what
I wouldn't get in a twist. I would get some more of the range stuff, take the light off, fire say 1/2 box, then put the light back on and fire the rest. See if you can get anything to repeat. Light on or off first 1/2 box is up to you. Just a thought.

#6 ·
From Streamlight website:

Q: Are there Issues Using Tactical Lights on Glock® Pistols?
A: Some Glock® .40 caliber pistols, models 22 and 23, exhibit feeding malfunctions, either nose down or nose up (stovepipe), when used with tactical lights. The problems tend to occur with individual guns, with some pistols becoming totally unreliable while other identical, even close in serial number sequence, guns have no problems. Most models 22 and 23 are reliable.

A sensitive gun may malfunction with any tactical light - the TLRs, the older M models, and even Glock®’s own brand. There is evidence that the problem sometimes develops with use, and may progress until the pistol is unreliable even with no light attached.

On the basis of testing by Streamlight, we believe the problem is magazine related. It appears that the rounds are unable to rise fast enough for proper cycling. We have observed proper feeding for the first few rounds, consistent failures at mid-magazine capacity, and a return to proper feeding of the last few cartridges in the magazine.

We have tried both stronger and weaker recoil springs, and compound-action recoil buffers, all without success. Sometimes new magazine springs, either new Glock® or Wolff, will cure the problem. In one case of a pistol which was totally reliable when new but progressed to malfunctioning on every magazine, even with no light installed, we found two solutions which restored reliability, but which might not be acceptable to some users. The first was using 10 round capacity Glock® magazines. The gun will not cycle reliably with 15 round mags with their steeply stacked columns but works flawlessly with 10 round mags. The second solution was a new magazine follower from Brownells®, their part number 069-000-006. When used in a 15 round magazine with a new spring, reliability was restored. However, the follower would not lock the slide open after the last round.

Ammunition is also a factor with any weapon. Some brands and weights may be totally reliable while others jam repeatedly. Make sure your gun is thoroughly tested with your duty ammo.

FAQ | Streamlight

#12 ·
The only problem with WML on glocks was when people tightened the light with the power of almighty Zeus. This caused an actual deformation in the bottom of the "dust cover" that would rub on the part of the slide that goes around the rsa. My WMLs are barely tight on any of my guns and have never fallen off and have never caused a malfunction. Even when using weenie 115 gr ammo with a 9mm conversion barrel in a G23 while still using the stock .40 rsa.

#14 ·
Have to do all what? Test it out with ammo? I ran several mags of defensive ammo through with no issue. Didn't want to remove the light to shoot regular 115gr target ammo and got 2 stove pipes out of 50 rounds. I was just wondering if I should be concerned. Seems the opinion here is no and it was ammo related.

#19 ·
If it functions with your defensive ammo, I wouldn't worry about it, nor change a thing until it becomes a consistent issue with practice ammo.

Could have just been a fluke.

If it does become an issue, I'd begin with the mag springs, as AmishNinja suggested.

Of course, after changing that...run a mag of the Gold Dots.

Trust, but verify. ;)

#24 ·
It seems like .40 glocks are always the ones that consistently report issued. It is interesting that the light can cause issues. I wouldn't worry about it with the carry ammo since it ran fine. Every gun is going to malfunction at some point. Every person has to decide their limits on malfunctions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#30 ·
After that I decided to shoot some more but with target ammo the range sold. It happened to be 115 gr PMC ball ammo. I had 2 stove pipes within 10-12 rounds. Then the rest fired fine. Why did this happen?
Have to do all what? Test it out with ammo? I ran several mags of defensive ammo through with no issue. Didn't want to remove the light to shoot regular 115gr target ammo and got 2 stove pipes out of 50 rounds. I was just wondering if I should be concerned. Seems the opinion here is no and it was ammo related.
First line would be to try other 115 gr. range-fodder. PMC is only one of many makes/models. You can do that while waiting for your new springs to come in.

#54 ·
The earlier Gen 3 Glock 22s were known to jam with a light attached. The Gen4 guns and a re-designed recoil spring and mag followers were supposed to have fixed this. Most people do not report feeding issues with Gen4 G17s while running a light.

Since you said it happened only twice and with questionable lightly loaded range ammo...I'd be tempted to blow it off. If it ran 100% with your defensive ammo...I'd think you are GTG. Some ranges around here, sell re-loads that range from iffy to downright terrible. It would not be uncommon for some lightly loaded 115gr ammo to jam like that. More the ammo's fault than the gun or light...i would think.

I run a TLR on my 3rd gen G19 and have never had any jams at all. Lucky? I dunno but the thing just runs with or without a light, so that is why I use it for defense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.