is the glenfield 75 the same as a marlin model 60 ?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by billbrasky, Jun 23, 2009.

1. billbrasky

billbrasky XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    i have a lead on a used glenfield model 75. Google does not give me many good leads, and the sources are rather dubious.

What do yallz experts have to say?

2. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    This is MY Glenfield 75
    [​IMG]
    It is my main tool for dispatching any varmint despite all my other AR type guns. At 75yds a hickory nut has no chance lol
    I converted it from tube fed to mag fed with Marlin 2000 parts.

3. Tattooed Bard

Tattooed Bard XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Bill, a Glenfield 75 is very similiar to a Marlin 60. , most Glenfields will say, "The Glenfield by Marlin". You cant beat a Marlin 60. I posted mine here a while back that I picked up for 5 bucks. Finally got some range time with it and she is a tack driver. Too bad the missus took it from me :(

4. 300UltraMag

300UltraMag XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    im not sure about the 75 but i can tell you for sure the glenfield 60 is the same as the marlin 60, but i dont think glenfield has made that one for years. they market the 60 solely under marlin now i believe.

5. Tattooed Bard

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    yep the glenfield and marlin 60s are identical, both made by marlin. Glenfield was the name they sold under to other companies such as sears, western auto and Montgomery ward.

but the 60 is one of the best .22s out there, here is mine (err, my wife's)

[​IMG]

6. hobocircus

hobocircus XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

The Nevada Desert on a Dry Lakebed. Living in a tr
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My compliments to the chef! :mrgreen:

7. billbrasky

Ratings:
    +81 / 0

do they all have micro groove barrels?

I assume they would/hope it will since thats been around since the 50s or 60s.

Yeah i have had a papoose since i was a kid. Its a model 70 designation but they same action and stuff as a 60, but with no foregrip, and the barrel unscrews/take off barrel.

Local board there is a guy selling a 75. Thats the reason for my post. He is ignorant of his gun or what marlin model it correlates to.

yeah $5, i remember that post tatbard. What a steal.:lol:

This guy is asking $80, but i think i am going to offer him $70.

8. Tattooed Bard

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    look at my 60 and here is a pic on the web I found of a 75

[​IMG]

The main differences are the banded forend and shorter feed tube on the 75. Same action etc, and should have microgroove. Offer him 65

9. s&w22aellafrits

s&w22aellafrits XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    micro groove might be a new thing and might not be on the older guns, but the m60 is a great gun.

10. billbrasky

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    ohh ok, it didnt have to be EXACTLY the same, i only cared about the action and barrel.

that band is fine with me. Close enough to a 60, if it has the micro groove and he will take $65 i will post pics.

I need to post pics of all my junk anyways. never did it.

11. zipgun

zipgun XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    The 75 is the shorter carbine version of the 60. Go over to rimfirecentral.com and look in the Marlin forum.

12. Grip

Grip XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    here is my 1982 marlin/glenfield 60 with a Weaver scope:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

my grandpa purchased it brand new in 1982 a few months after i was born, it sat brand new in a rifle case until feb 2009 when my grandpa gave it to me, he passed away 2 weeks ago. he purchased it so he and my dad could teach me to shoot, but when i was 5-6 my dad taught me to shoot his Springfield 30-06 (forget what model rifle)

my girlfriend and i took it to the range for the first time, and put 250 flawless rounds of Federal .22LR through it in his memory. (it was her first time)

capacity is 18+1 iirc

13. billbrasky

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    good story. Dont ever sell it no matter how broke you might be, and if you do sell it, sell it to your uncle, brother, cousin etc with the EXPLICIT understanding you will buy it back the moment you have money.

Heard a few horror stories on here about folks selling handed down guns.

Yours has the unique distinction of being vintage and brand spanking new at the same time.

Plus grandpa is deceased.

My poppa despite being a colonel didnt own guns when he was out of the military. He never took my dad shooting, or me (but to his credit he died when i was in 5th grade so its not like he squandered tons of time neglecting to do sports with me).

I would likely never sell any of the 10 guns i own now. I would have to be homeless. I surely wouldnt sell a gun my dad or poppa gave me.
    I know you didnt mention selling it .... hell you just got it, but the horror stories of selling family guns, i had to put that on the table to engrain it in you. Your GF looks young 20something so thats when you think you can hawk something and then go get it back, or loose it in a poker game etc.

Lastly i just really love the model 60, and my model 70p .... i never understood why folks like ruger 10/22 so much, and why there is so little after market for the marlin 60. It baffles me.

I would LOVE an adjustable match trigger for mine.

cool dad teaching you to shoot at 5. Mine made me wait untill i was 9-10.

14. billbrasky

Ratings:
    +81 / 0
    do any of the old timers or marlin aficianados know if micro groove was standard on all marlins from its debut year and later?

the reason i ask is i dont want to drive to look at this gun and find out it doesnt have Micro groove. The owner says it doesnt have a groovey barrel? His responses are worrying me. I tried to explain. He wont even confirm if the barrel is marked or not.

anyways, if micro groove debuted in 1953 ... and it was standard, that dispite this sellers claim, the gun for sale MIGHT have the nice micro groove barrel?

any old timmers remember looking at marlin catalougs or sears cataloug, posters etc in the 60s and 70s and they all were micro groove? If so that would be helpful.

from wiki.

MicroGroove Rifling
    In 1953 Marlin Firearms was issued U.S. Patent 3,100,358 for what was named MicroGroove Rifling which was a departure from the standard "Ballard" or cut rifling. One purpose of Microgroove Rifling was to increase the speed of producing rifle barrels.
    Microgroove rifling is described in the patent as having 5 grooves for every 1/10th of an inch bore diameter, and that the driving side of each land would be "tangentially disposed" to prevent accumulating fouling in use.
    Marlin introduced Microgroove rifling in their .22 rimfire barrels in July 1953, with 16 grooves that were .014" wide, and nominally .0015" deep. Ballard Rifled barrels have grooves generally in the range of .069-.090" wide, and .0015-.003" deep. This change was marketed in the 1954 Marlin catalog, as having numerous advantages that this new form of rifling had, including better accuracy, ease of cleaning, elimination of gas leakage, higher velocities and lower chamber pressures. The catalog also claimed that Microgroove Rifling did not distort the bullet jacket as deeply as Ballard Rifling hence improving accuracy with jacketed bullets at standard velocity.
    Designed for factory loaded ammunition, Microgroove barrels have a reputation for accuracy problems with centerfire ammunition handloaded with cast (unjacketed) bullets due to the increased bore diameter generated by the shallow grooves. Use of oversized cast bullets has great effect on solving this problem, restoring accuracy with cast bullet handloads to levels seen from Ballard Rifled barrels.[4] Early Marlin .30-30 microgroove barrels had a twist rate of 1 turn in 10 inches optimized for factory ammunition with jacketed bullets; later Marlin .30-30 microgroove barrels show a twist rate of 1 turn in 10.5 inches which improves accuracy with cartridges loaded to lower velocity than standard.

15. Kaboom

Kaboom XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    lol ;)