Springfield XD Forum banner

Is it ok to leave magazines full?

12K views 78 replies 36 participants last post by  G0DB0X 
#1 ·
Is it ok to leave magazines full? I use my XD9 Service for home defense and always have the magazine full. Its been about a year with the ammo in the magazine. Is this bad for the magazine? Will the magazine still feed rounds even though its been left full of ammo for over a year? Thanks

#43 ·
Comparing a shock absorber to a compressed mag spring is not the same. Now if you had your vehicle totally loaded down and compressed your shocks to the max it would be the same.

That being said I can't leave a mag doe over a year without using it by either shooting the ammo or just rotating my mags. I also like to disassemble and check as I have had mag springs break on me in the past.

#19 ·
I like to fill my magazines with Nutella. It provides nutrients for the springs to replenish their boingalacious ions.

Oh, and put one pre-moistened gummybear on the follower before loading the first round in the mag.

When the gummybear is flung out and sticks to your face, you know you're out of ammo.

#20 ·
Nutella and gummi bears should only be used on European pistols.

American pistols require "War Juice"--a combination of beef blood, bacon fat, and bourbon, with a Slim Jim on the follower (dip the Slim Jim in War Juice for the best results...in a punch, beef (NEVER TURKEY!!) jerky can be substituted).

#37 ·
Back on subject. I heard magpul pmags can swell slightly but function alright. I read that on our ar thread somewhere

sent from the german sheperd next to me

#38 ·
Loaded mags and their compressed springs are just fine. That's not what wears out springs. Cycles of going from compressed to not compressed is what wears out springs. In other words, actual use wears out springs. Just sitting in one position will not wear out a spring.

#47 ·
Comparing a shock absorber to a compressed mag spring is not the same. Now if you had your vehicle totally loaded down and compressed your shocks to the max it would be the same.

That being said I can't leave a mag doe over a year without using it by either shooting the ammo or just rotating my mags. I also like to disassemble and check as I have had mag springs break on me in the past.
Actually, it is the same in the sense that a spring, whether loaded or not, does not wear down while it is not moving.

Shocks are probably not the right comparison though. Coil springs would be more accurate; but, we know what he meant.

Reactions: Ryno785
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.