Is it a Big deal to deactivate grip safety with grip sleeve?

Discussion in 'SA-XD/XD(M) Accessories' started by tenchu74, Jun 20, 2011.

1. tenchu74

tenchu74 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like my XDm but the grip seems too slim. I had an extra Hogue grip sleeve laying around and put it on and now my XDm feels perfect. The only thing is it covers up and deactivates the grip safety. I don't really see an issue since the Glock and S&W M&P both have a trigger that is close to the XDm's and they don't have a grip safety. I only use this gun for the range and competition. I know pachmahr makes a grip sleeve that keeps the safety intact but it doesn't seem to have much of a palm swell which is what I need.

What do you think?

2. Milhouse86

Milhouse86 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You should be fine. Like you said it would not be the first gun to only have a trigger safety.

3. Se2002

Se2002 XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Some have also trimmed the area on the sleeve to keep the grip safety.

4. ajamesp51

ajamesp51 Official Site Vendor Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +72 / 0
    Why not just trim the grip, it is never a good idea to deactivate a safety.

5. LJenkmd

LJenkmd XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree.........

6. xdmp22

xdmp22 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    That's one way to turm glock leg into xd leg. Just trim it so the safety works

7. Bonehead

Bonehead XDTalk 15K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

lol I was gonna say you are gonna catch a case of glock leg!

8. AZXD

AZXD XDTalk 35K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    Your gun, but if it was mine, I'd be in the trim it crowd.

9. CarlosT

CarlosT XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So I've been assuming that when you draw or reholster the XDm, you should keep off the grip safety. Is that correct?

What I've been doing while practicing the draw is wrap my middle, ring, and pinkie fingers around the grip, indexing my trigger finger over the holster so when I draw it indexes to the frame, and place my thumb behind the rear sights, then pull up to clear the holster. Then when I pivot, that's when I bring the thumb around and therefore press the grip safety. On reholstering, I basically reverse the process and move my thumb onto the rear sights just before the pivot back into the reholstering position, there by coming off the grip safety.

That seems to be the natural way to do it, I'm just wondering if that's how everybody does it or if there's a better way.

10. Boris

Boris XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I was always taught to get a proper grip BEFORE yanking the pistol from the holster. What you just described sounds like a droped pistol waiting to happen when you need to least drop it........

11. xdmp22

xdmp22 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I draw my pistol with the same grip I am shooting it with. Only time my thumb is on the sights like that is when I am walking from the bathroom to my bed or vise/versa when its not in a holster.

12. CarlosT

CarlosT XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yeah, those are both good points. I think I'll be reverting to a full grip. Having said that, it seems like the grip safety wouldn't really be a factor in preventing Glock leg, since it would be down when drawing or reholstering. Is that right or am I missing something?

13. CdnInAz

CdnInAz XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    I do what you are describing when re-holstering, but NOT when drawing. Reasons:

• when re-holstering, if you lift your thumb to back of slide it lifts the meaty part of your palm off the grip safety, so SHOULD prevent firing. Could prevent a discharge if trigger snags on clothing or holster. This is NOT an absolute! As always, NEVER rely on ANY safety - just like any mechanical device they can and WILL fail at the worst possible moment. Even with the extra margin of safety must still be careful when holstering, finger off trigger, ideally look down at holster to watch trigger guard pass cleanly into holster. Hard to imagine a circumstance where we would be in a hurry to holster, so extra time and caution does not cost us anything

• another reason I like the thumb on back of slide is that it gives an extra pressure to firmly seat gun into a leather concealing holster, and make sure gun stays in battery. Mine is a Galco, nice and snug as it should be for proper retention

• now on draw, you ARE in a hurry and you want an absolutely positive grip, three fingers and thumb full wrap, trigger finger indexed out stiff along the frame. In a fun game style shooting match such as USPSA or IDPA, last thing you want to do is drop gun - automatic DQ. I've seen a guy red faced once due to that. AND, worst case if the need should ever arise to draw in real life, the consequences of poor grip could be fatal. Also, in games or in real life you want proper presentation ready to get sights on target and bring finger to trigger after that. Don't want to be shifting grip while bringing sights to target.

• palm off the grip on draw serves no purpose - the trigger can't snag on way out of holster, it is going in opposite direction. Make sense?

14. agould27

agould27 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think a lot of glock leg comes from poor or worn holsters. When I draw its full grip, I want to be ready to use when I need too. My finger is also never on the trigger untill ready to pull. I also think kydex or a good solid leather holster will prevent "glock leg"

15. Bugs1961

Bugs1961 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I place my thumb on the end of the slide to reholster so the grip safety isn't depressed. That way if the trigger is snagged on clothes, etc., during the reholster I don't end up with Glock-leg. Push the pistol into the holster with the thumb.