Iron Clad Armory AK-74 Review

Discussion in 'AK-47 Talk' started by Mrgunsngear, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Mrgunsngear

Mrgunsngear XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know a lot of folks are looking for information on these rifles that Iron Clad is building... I've got about 700 rounds through mine so far (headed to the range again tomorrow for a few hundred more) and here's what I've found.

Pros:

-Reliable. The rifle has had 0 malfunctions
    -Accurate. As with most 74 type rifles, it's more accurate than most people think AKs can be. I've shot several 2'' groups at 100m with this rifle and 7N6
    -The CHF CL 1 in 8 RH twist barrel. As far as I know, these are the first US made CHF CL barrels out there. Not all ICA rifles come with these barrels but it's an 'upgrade' option they offer if you order direct from them (the other barrels they use are CL US made barrels from Curtis at akbuilder.com). According to the owner, they get the are sourced from MIL/LE supplier and then turned down in house by ICA.
    -Gun Kote finish. I have several rifles with this finish and I really like it compared to other AK finishes on the market.
    -The side folder stock locks up tight in both positions.
    -Built on matching Bulgy parts kit.
    -Cost. These rifles seem to go from between $700-$1100 depending on the options (milled/stamped receiver, Iron Wood or K-Var furniture, side rail/no side rail, CHF or standard US barrel, side folder vs standard stock, ect...)
    -The receivers (both stamped and milled) are made in house by ICA so they offer the option for the buyer to pick their own serial number on the receiver. Not really a big deal but NoDak has stopped this option as far as I know so if it's something you're looking for they'll do it for you.
    -They are CA friendly for you trapped behind enemy lines.

Cons:

-The only one I can think of in terms of the rifle is the slight indent in the receiver I talk about in the video but it really isn't an issue to me but I know it will be for some.
    -Availability. Like everyone else these days, ICA is backordered. I think the wait varies on the rifle you order but last I heard it was 8-12 weeks.

I'm a new member here so I can't post my video review but as soon as I get enough posts I'll put it in here as well...

2. 45Fight

45Fight XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank for the review. I ordered and iron clad ak 47 recently. Cant wait+

3. DD396

DD396 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm in the market for an AK-74, where'd you order?

4. SHOOT

SHOOT XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Went there on Saturday to meet up with my friend Steve and meet John, the owner. Looked at what they offer and learned a little. I'm between the 47 and 74 myself. Steve leans toward the the 74 and has both. Knows his stuff and I'm like a sponge, trying to take it all in. So far, whatever I decide, I want a "milled", heavy barrel and chrome lined would be nice of course. I don't even mind the Russian black plastic furniture for now. Again, just trying to decide between the 47 (7.62) with it's history and knock down ability and the newer 74 (5.45) which is suppose to be more accurate. :confused: And then there's the ammo thing (ha) . . . couldn't find anyone who has any for either currently.

Thanks for your review and I've seen your video. [​IMG]

5. Mrgunsngear

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm probably going to order another (different build) as well so I'll be back on the wait list with you...

6. Mrgunsngear

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can order direct from them and they'll build it to your specs (folder/standard trunnion/wood/polymer/ect...) or they make some standard models that distributors sell. Atlantic Firearms is one but I think there are others....

7. Mrgunsngear

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you're on the fence I say go 74. More accurate, lighter, WAY cheaper ammo, and less recoil. The only downside is the cost of the mags but these days 47 mags aren't exactly cheap either...

8. Mrgunsngear

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDiRs7T82jk]Iron Clad Armory Side Folder AK-74 Review (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

Edited with pics and a link.

9. SHOOT

SHOOT XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Thanks for the input. I'm trying not to be on the fence but guess I am. You named alot of positives alright, however 5.45, I've heard, is "normally" a little harder to find (but so is 7.62 and everything else currently). Nonetheless, two guys that know their stuff are more pro the 74 (5.45). That will weigh into my desicion without a doubt. One more thing though. Stopping power. It's somewhat like the discussions about the difference between .223 and .308, isn't it? With the .308 being the more potent round. Is this the case where placement wins as it should no matter what caliber, any caliber, is used?

10. DD396

DD396 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've seen a lot of ammo for 5.45 for sale, prior to the paranoia, and cheap too.

Just one source that has bulk in stock...
    Silver Bear 5.45x39 60 - Grain Fmj Ammo, 30 Rds. - 931585, 5.45x39 Ammo at Sportsman's Guide

another,
    http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/545x39-full-metal-jacket

11. SHOOT

SHOOT XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Thanks for the heads up on the 5.45 ammo. I've gotton a couple of things from them also. Still weighing it out. Was in Bass Pro this evening and was talking to a guy who said Feb. 4 is when ammo will start coming in again???? I don't know what that actually means though.

12. Mrgunsngear

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's really not an apropos comparison. The 5.45 rouns is a NASTY round due to its' violent tumbling tendencies; particular the 7N6 and the 7N10 surplus rounds. The Afghans called it the poision bullet for a reason--it's deadly. The 7.62 on the other hand is known for having great barrier performance but less tissue disruption (all of this is relatable to military FMJ/HP type rounds, not modern bullet technology). Pros and cons to each I suppose.

Shot placement will always be more important as you mentioned though.

Here's a 5.45 gel test I did:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxtIDUdDLOE"]Silver Bear 5.45x39 60gr Bimetal FMJ & AK-74 Ballistics Gel Test (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

Here's a 7.62 gel test I did:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL8aMITCG_0"]Wolf Military Classic 7.62x39 124gr HP Ballistics Gel Test (HD) - YouTube[/ame]

They're small data points but show the different properties of the rounds in soft tissue.

13. SHOOT

SHOOT XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Appreciate the tests MrG. [​IMG] I see what you mean by the 5.45 being a nasty round. I also see the power of the 7.62 going almost through 2 gel blocks. I'll tell ya what, I don't care how that round goes through something, it's got sheer force. But both rounds have their place and the correct answer to which one is . . . get both (ha). Not planning on doing that (I don't think, but I've been known to). So just have to decide which. I did meet up with Steve (part of ICA) today and got some more tips about my criteria though and currently all of them aren't available on one (milled, heavy barrel, chf, chrome lined, side folding, da da da) . Never cut and dry with me. :rolleyes: I don't know.

14. SHOOT

SHOOT XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Went to the s.c. range today with the owner and guys from ICA. Thought we'd see you there too Mike, but it was late. Let me tell ya, we put down some major firepower and these guys really know their stuff. Very knowledgable and generous with their ammo and guns while testing their AK's, I will say. I fianally got to shoot a 47 milled/heavy, 47 stamped, and 74 stamped. They were also shooting short pistol variations of the same. Also, Steve brought his Benelli 12 Gauge with added goodies. Great setup he's got. After shooting his, the AK's kicks weren't bad at all, ha. A bad *** shotgun for sure. Only wish that I had brought my Saiga-12 to shoot also, but too rushed for time. And one guy, Ken (thank you Ken, :cool:), brought his PSL (Dargunov equivalent) 7.62x54. Man o man, talk about starburst at dusk . . . . (lol) This was one bad boy. Loved shooting it. Surprisingly, the 47 didn't have much more recoil than the 74, or at least that I could feel. I may remember more later on after the numbness wears off :lol:. Just trying to make up my mind still between them, but a slight edge to the 47, I think (ha).

15. Mrgunsngear

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Great info there. Nothing at all wrong with the 47. I'd LOVE to see ICA come out with a 7.62x54r rifle----I'd be the first one on the wait list.