Inertia Driven VS. Gas system?!?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by manr0e, May 10, 2007.

1. manr0e

manr0e XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am trying to decide between a Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 and a Beretta Xtrema2. The Benelli uses an "inertia driven" system and the Beretta uses a gas system.

Can anyone explain the pros and cons of each...I understand how they work...but why would you pick one over the other?!? THanks!

2. jnclement

jnclement XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    When you think "inertia", just think recoil operated, like John Brownings A5. It's nothing new, just repackaged with a new marketing program, and outrageously priced. I think recoil systems are more reliable. But if you clean a gas system occasionally, they're reliable too.

3. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    I have an early 80s Beretta 303 12 gauge auto and it has been 100% reliable with everything from dove loads to 3" turkey and goose loads.

The key? Clean it out every now and then and test out which loads work best with your gas system. Most gas shotties have adjustments that allow you to adjust the gas system to whatever load you're using. The 303 Beretta's is easy and fast and like I said...I have had no troubles at all with the old thing.

Actually, when we used to go goose hunting in the cold and the mud, my A-303 Beretta was still chugging along when the Browning Golds and 11-87s were jamming from the weather and fouling from shooting too many filthy steel loads. It was not the cheapest auto around (I could have had an 1100 Remmy or Browning Gold for much less) but it is utterly reliable and a very well made shotgun.

Would I buy another Beretta gas auto shottie? Absolutely...but I have found no reason to replace this early 80s 303 because its so damn reliable.

- Brickboy240

4. manr0e

manr0e XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you Brickboy....I think its gona be the the Beretta...I will post picks not matter what I buy