Impulse buys and pawn shops

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by romans3.22, Apr 27, 2008.

1. romans3.22

romans3.22 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello everyone!! So I've been reading a lot of threads with people saying that they bought their gun on "impulse". My question is that do these people always carry their gun permits with them? I'm not sure how it is in other states but here in North Carolina I need a gun permit to purchase a handgun.

Also I've read some people bought a used XD from a pawn shop. Why in the world would someone pawn off their XD? If I found a XD at the pawn shop would I need a gun permit to buy it?

2. cschwanz

cschwanz XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have personally never been to a pawn shop gun shopping, but i think i may go to a couple local ones and see what i can turn up. and as for the permit question, my CCW is tucked right behind my driver's license. its with me 24/7

3. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +237 / 4
    This may or may not help you..
    http://www.jus.state.nc.us/NCJA/ncfirearmslaws.pdf

In Texas, if your are carrying your handgun you are required to have your CHL (CCW) on your person.
    I carry mine behind my DL as stated above.
    With the CHL, there no waiting period when buying from retail.
    Purchase and take it home.
    Without your CHL I think it is a 10 day waiting period, unless you buy from a private individual.
    Sorry if that doesnt help you.

4. rgeliske

rgeliske XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I can only tell you about Michigan and Florida:

Michigan - You must obtain a purchase permit prior to purchasing a gun unless you have a Conceal Carry Permit. If you have a Concealed Carry Permit you may purchase without a permit but you still must register the gun with the local police dept.

Florida - You may purchase a gun without any permit but there is a 3 waiting period before you can take delivery of the gun but if you are trading in a gun there is no waiting period. I you have a Concealed Carry Permit you may purchase and take the gun the same day. No registration is required in either case.

In Florida mny Pawn shops are also gun dealers who buy and sell guns. Generally if you buy a gun in Florida it will probably be from a Pawn shop unless you are near a major city.

5. spudboy

spudboy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nope, no 10 day waiting period in Texas. I've purchased an XD pre and post having my CHL. If you have a CHL, sign the paperwork, and you are done. Without one, they do a check (FBI, I believe), which takes about 15-20 minutes. If that checks out, you get your gun right then. Not sure what happens if it doesn't...

6. Ender03

Ender03 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Arizona does not require a permit at all to purchase. Just a quick background check done in store. It's even easier with a CCW. I'm not an expert with this, but it's the way i've seen it done.

7. Starsky

Starsky XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

YES you would. Being a pawnshop they are still a licensed FFL and must follow the same BATF Rules and Regs as any other gun dealer. Also your NC CHP if you have one replaces the required NC Pistol Purchase Permit.

8. FLSTFI Dave

FLSTFI Dave XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    No waiting period in TN. No requirement to have a permit either to buy. Just give them your money, wait a few minutes for the instant background check and your on your way home with a new pistol...:)

9. mhillsing23

mhillsing23 XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +130 / 0
    Same here in MO.

As far as pawn shops go, some around here really aren't as shady as the idea sounds. I know of one local shop with very stand up owners and good quality guns. Of course, there is some lower end stuff there, but he does have fair prices on his Glocks. (I have never seen any XDs there though...)

10. Allstop

Allstop XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I walked into a shop saw a great condition XD9 service for $320. Told them I would take it. Filled out some paperwork 15 min later I walked out with my new gun.

11. Neener Neener

Neener Neener XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No wait in Georgia, either. They do a quick background check on you, unless you have a CCW, then you leave with your toy. Some places charge $5 for the check, but I don't need one as a CCW holder. I think you may be getting a CCW permit confused with the permit some states make you get to simply purchase a gun.

12. ouija

ouija XDTalk 100 Member

gilbert az, the middle of the dirt, dust, heat and
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    yeah there can be some great deals at pawn shops. i got my firtsgun at one as an implulse buy. had been wanting a HD gun and there it sat,a mossy 500 pistol grip. you know the evil kind with a barrel shroud:twisted:! at least w/ the shroud no one can see my barrel giving me a tacticool advantage-or at least thats what the gov. and anti gun nuts think:confused:, though most couldnt tell you what a barrel shroud actually is and what its for.

anyhow it was $150 and the action and everything about it looked like it had never been fired:shock:! yeah it was clean but we can all clean our guns up and if taken care of look almost new. this thing didnt have any wear on the action, no scratches, dings ,dents, rust...NOTHING! i couldnt pass it up so i filled out my paperwork and walked out w/ the new toy! no waiting. as long as you dont have anythng shady in your record then there isnt any wait...was what i was told.that was in Texas, then here in AZ i have gotten my XD .40 subcomp, a .357 mag S&W M&P 360 w/the crimson trace grips for the wife and a bushy XM-15 E2S Modular carbine (with bells and whistles a la EoTech 553 tan, surefire M900 tan and P-mags in...tan, also have a caa stock saddle for extra batt., an ergo grip w/ more batt, rubber butt plate and a tactical tailor single AR mag holder that straps to the buttstock. with it i can pick up only my rifle and go and have a full 120 rnds of HP,Ball and Steelcore FMJ, did i mention the three mag coupler:twisted:? i will admit it makes the weapon heavier, but to be able to grab and go is worth the weight to me! :D

i have never had to wait for a gun to "clear" the check process. im no angel:rolleyes: but who is? i just dont have anything on my record(for which im proud, and im oh so glad for the turn 18 and your juvinile record gets sealed:mrgreen:, if not i would be waiting for sure. i'd still get the gun, id just wait).if you get to wait a few times i would try to see if you cant run down a copy of your records and see what it is thats slowing the process so much, unless of course you already know whats there!

crap im ramblin again, sorry.

ouija

13. chuckels59h

chuckels59h XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The investigateing agency has 72 hours to deny you(the seller holds the gun), after that the seller relinquish's the firearm to you by default of no denial. Texas boy here.

14. HntnFsh

HntnFsh XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    But if something comes back on the nics check they can come looking to get the weapon back

15. philbo

philbo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Love stalking pawn shops for deals, but there aren't as many as there used to be. In Texas, there is no waiting period. With a CHL they don't even have to call NICS for the check as you're already pre-approved. Yep, impulse buys are fun! Picked up a new to me Springer 1911 yesterday and I still feel like a kid at christmas! :grin: