I'm wanting to join the Black Rifle society in a week what do i get?

Discussion in 'AR Talk' started by XDMulisha, Feb 14, 2010.

1. XDMulisha

XDMulisha XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi everyone, XDMulisha here, I am a newb to the AR world, well not really, I know how they work etc, but I want my first purchase to be of quality, wanting to spend no more than $1500 on my first black rifle. What do you AR guys feel that I should get, you know; Bushy, DPMS, OA, Colt, S&W, etc. there are just so many and I want the best for that amount. Can anyone point me in the right direction. I mean are the Colts the best way to go. If I had the money I would build one myself from Larue but im not bill gates so help me out here brothers and sisters, thanks

Sincerely,

Peter M.

2. eb_311

eb_311 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    If that $1500 doesn't include optics, ammo, and extra mags I think you could build yourself a pretty nice rifle exactly like you want it.

3. Dan Carey

Dan Carey XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rock River, anything else is a compromise.

4. barcode

barcode XDTalk 500 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I picked up a new Bushmaster M4A3 a couple of years ago for about 1000.00 and never have had a problem with it. I know somebody will put "the chart" up here but get what feels good in your hand and is in your price range.

5. tryingtomakeit

tryingtomakeit XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love my S&W mp15 5.56 she is a very nice piece she has worked for me a lot gone in the buoy a few trips chasing hogs just shake dry and let her eat no rust no problems.............Just my .02

6. goretro77

goretro77 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I won't sway you to one since I have more than one. You can get any one of these rifles(no mods except for the Ruger that comes with great 'aftermarket' parts out of the box) for the $1500 you mentioned.

I do like Colts. i own a Colt LE6920 -
    [​IMG]

and a Colt 6601 (owned for 15+ years now)
    [​IMG]

but I am VERY IMPRESSED with the Ruger SR556. A piston AR:
    [​IMG]

all 3 together, Ruger in the middle:
    [​IMG]

Good luck in your decision

7. Knothaid

Knothaid XDTalk 100 Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Everyone thinks what they have is the best. Whichever one you buy will be the best. The discussion never varies on this. There is no objective answer to your question. The good news is there are a lot of good choices, the bad news is there are a lot of good choices.

Learning the pluses and minuses of each rifle can take a long time. Think of it as a journey, not a destination. Get some consensus about the water and then wade in. You soon will contract BRD and then there is no hope for your wallet.

It might be a better question not to ask what is the best for the buck, but rather what are some to stay away from and for what reasons. I think there is a consensus about Olympic being a bad choice, so there is a freebie.

Fact is there are many reputable Mfgs making very good quality Ars. Heck, you can have a great rifle by mixing and matching parts too. But if you are just starting, you may want to go no further into that than just a complete upper and lower.

Learning what quality is good, recognizing it is harder, but a worthy endeavor. There is a chart out there....It is no more bipartisan or up to date than our Congress, but unlike our Congress, it does have some good information. There is also a good article here So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com that seeks to be more objective but also has some subjective conclusions.

Glean what you can, but welcome and good luck in "pulling the trigger" on your first one, usually they are the hardest.

8. ryr8828

ryr8828 XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +36 / 0
    I've got a bushmaster and a rock river, neither have failed me but I don't shoot them a ton. The bushmaster is well under a grand now and the rock river can be had for a grand as well as can the smith and wesson.
    Unless you're going to war I'd get one of those and spend the rest of the money on accessories and ammunition. If you want a Colt or a piston job, then go get that.

You have to decide what you want. Carbine or precision. Piston or direct impingement.

9. rtparso

rtparso XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    What do you want to do. My first was a varmint rifle Bushmaster Predator. It shoots great. Spent about $800 + optics. My second and first build was a carbine. I ended up with about $1000 in it. It is great fun and shoots great.

10. Dirty Rod

Dirty Rod XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Really like that LE.

11. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
  12. joshua79109

joshua79109 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There are some ways to decide on what quality you want, and the intended use also matters tremendously.

Many serious users consider the Colt to be the best platform (since it is truly well proven) and weigh other ARs against the Colt.

So you cannot go wrong getting a good Colt.

Another very nice brand at a great price is BCM. Their quality is as good as Colt and their warranty is better. I prefer BCM to Colt.

There are many other good brands out there as well. If you go with a good brand up front you will not ever have to wish you'd done more research.

Here is the link to BCM - BCM AR15 Upper Receiver Group AR15
    With BCM you buy the upper of your choice and they also sell lowers. Most folks just pick any lower they like and then add the upper that fits the intended use.

Here is a complete BCM at a good price - BCM 16" Mid-Length Complete Rifle (OUT OF STOCK) at G&R Tactical
    This is a good example of a well built carbine.

The best advice I can give is to spend some time on M4carbine.net researching some of the available information. There is much bs to wade through when getting info on the internet (as most everyone feels like there pick is the best pick - and many folks will never put more than 2000 rounds through their carbine) so in my opinion it's best to find folks who are heavy users to find what parts are best.

M4Carbine.net

"Oh No! I bought a BM/RRA/Stag before I knew better!" - M4Carbine.net Forums

Comparison Chart of Major AR Brands - M4Carbine.net Forums

--Keep in mind that not everyone agrees with the information from the above links, but it is worth reading and considering--

Buy what you want that will serve your needs, and buy a couple of cases of ammo and use it - along with proper training.

Good luck

13. TMP

TMP XDTalk 3K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    That CAR A4 is a sweet deal. I have a RRA Elite Comp that has been a great rifle. Quality is top notch. It has a middy gas system and HBAR barrel so it is a bit heavier than my Stag carbine.

The Stag is what I built for my 2nd rifle which was more purpose specific than my first which I bought complete from a dealer. I built the Stag for about $720 with the intention of it being a battle carbine and added the following mods:
    Ergo Grip ($20)
    Magpul B.A.D. ($35) not pictured
    Magpul Moe Forend ($28)
    BCM Gunfighter CH ($40)
    BlueForce Vickers Sling ($40)
    Pmags (7 = $105)

So far total investment is $989 and it's exactly what I want in a battle rifle. No optics yet....maybe one of these days, I'm pretty dang good with the irons out to 100 -150 yards.
    .223 / 5.56 ammo is gunna run you at least $300 - $350 for 1K rounds so be sure to factor in some extra loot for ammo.

When I have some extra $$ again I will toss a CTR stock on it. I guess I could have bought something considered to be a tier 1 rifle but then I wouldn't of had the Pmags, ammo or the fun I've had modding this rifle. I have 2 more builds in the closet waiting for uppers that will no doubt be either a LMT or Noveske (someday!)

[​IMG]

14. Achped

Achped XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    $1500 is easily doable, especially for a basic AR like a Bushmaster XM15 E2S.

I am building an AR right now,
    Bushmaster lower,
    Vltor milspec stock,
    DPMS internals,
    Stag Arms 3H upper,
    folding MBUS back up iron sights,
    and an Eotech XPS-2

and the total cost is right at $1500. Of course I get my mags, cleaning gear, and sling for free but that'd still only run about another $100-150 over. And its a damn nice setup.

15. jake99

jake99 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My Bushy m4a3 was 850.00 nib. Good luck with your purchase.