If you have a Luger...here is your ammo!

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by Brickboy240, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 5
    Dynamit Nobel 9mm 124grn FMJ 50rd Box

Heads up!

Anybody else out there own a P-08 Luger?

Well, you know how finicky it is with ammo, but the truth (what I have found) is that if you keep the Luger reasonably clean and feed it what it likes, its very reliable.

I have been told by a Luger expert that the P-08 really likes a heavier-weight bullet that is longer in the nose. The hotter and heavier ammo tends to "kick" the old toggle action better and cycles the action better.

So yeah...thats why most bulk 115gr 9mm ammo (like WWB or Blazer Brass) is VERY iffy on feeding in the Luger.

A few years ago, I experimented and found two kids of commercially available 9mm to be best in my 1918 Luger. One was the Greek made "Olympic" 124gr fmj ammo and the other was this stuff that Aim is now carrying.

So if you have a vintage Luger and want ammo that feeds right all the time....grab some of this Swiss Geco stuff because it is accurate and very reliable in the Pistole Parabellum.

...thought I'd pass this along.

Yes, its pricey for regular plinking stuff in your Glock or XD but it runs beautiful in the P-38 and the Luger. I am ordering a case today.

- brickboy240

2. XDRoX

XDRoX XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Wow, thanks Brickboy, that's some good info. I don't shoot my Luger any more, it's a safe queen. But the other day we were shooting my buddy's. The factory ammo we had sucked. It was jamming every other round. My 115gr reloads worked much better, but my 124gr reloads worked 99%. So what you're saying makes perfect sense.
    The Luger is a cool piece. So is the P-38.

3. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +466 / 5
    The info on the Luger's ammo preference came from Ralph Shattuck, the man who used to own "World of Lugers" in AZ. He was actually featured on the History Channel's program "Tales of the Gun" many years ago. Made sense, because I was frustrated with trying to get my Luger to feed the factory 115gr stuff.

The Luger is actually very reliable (and highly accurate) with the ammo of which it was designed to shoot. That was a 124gr fmj bullet that was longer in the nose and loaded on the hot side.

I rarely get my Luger out anymore, either. Its just too old and I worry about parts breakage. Mine has all matching parts...right down to the firing pin....from 1918.

the other oddity about my Luger is that it has both WWI Imperial German markings and East German Volkspolizei markings and the bakelite plastic grips. It also has a pristine bore and is in overall very good condition. The magazine has its original wooden base!

Made in the last year of WWI, then captured in WWII by the Russians and used by East German border guards....if this thing could talk! LOL

-Brickboy240

PS: this Luger was bought by me in a pawn shop in Waco, TX in 1993 for 325 bucks....whew!

4. weapon12

weapon12 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    sounds like an awesome gun. pics?

my grandpa won a luger in wwII when his platoon or regiment (im not sure) had a raffle. i think there were a couple hundred guys in the raffle. anyways, he was hard up for money in the 80's when farming went to **** and he sold it to local gun shop. we have tried to track it down and buy it back but no such luck, its long gone. wish i could go back to the 80's and tell him to hold onto it as i think it would be worth a pretty penny today.