IDPA Reload with Retention

Discussion in 'Gun Games: Shooting Competition' started by dsglenn, Jan 23, 2012.

1. dsglenn

dsglenn XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In IDPA you can either do a Tactical Reload or Reload with Retention if stated or you want to reload before you go empty. The question is when doing a Reload with Retention what is faster? Meaning where do you stow the partial magazine?

I have tried the vest pocket and its ok but it seems like the top shooters and stowing in the waist/belt... Anybody have tips on this to make it faster and smoother. Trying to decrease my Reload with Retention time so I can better attack IDPA stages. Shooting a Glock 17.

Thanks

2. sm0kyj03

sm0kyj03 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    for me i try to go belt line for a reload with retention, shove it in just in front of my hip bone. gets my hand down to the belt line to grab a new mag.
    tac load i drop it in a vest pocket and get my hand back to the gun. i feel like if i go to the pocket for a retention load i end up fumbling with the vest to get the new mag.

3. apamburn

apamburn XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I generally stow the partial magazine in my belt. Suck in the gut and slip it in between pants and gut. Release gut with sigh of relief as I continue shooting :)

4. ETexPops

ETexPops XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I generally drop the mag into my left hand, sweep back the cover garmet, stow in the left front pocket of my pants, and pull the new mag from the mag pouch on the way back from the pocket. Tac reloads are faster IF you are moving from cover to cover. Stowed mag goes into my vest pocket.

5. VR4

VR4 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Watch Morgan Allen's YouTube videos over and over LOL!! He is the RWR master. On a serious note the fastest way is the place it in your waste line , while thumb is in waste line slide it over to your next mag then pull it out and insert in gun. Standing is good practice but be sure to use movement. I have a area in my home where there is about a 4-6 foot wide wall with a door on each side. I place targets on each side and practice RWR back and forth. My goal is to have mag in before I reach the position.

As for making your reload faster and smoother. Brake down the reload. Only drop mag and place it in your waist only about 10 times then work on dropping mag in waist line then grabbing next mag 10 times and so on. By doing this you will find your flaws a lot faster and can correct them.

6. Pucknut

Pucknut XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This. I have found this to be the way that works best for me.

7. FullyArmed

FullyArmed XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i hate reloads with retention because I generally try to shove them in my pockets while moving but usually just end up inside of my pants and ultimatly falling down my pant legs.... oh well. everytime I think of when I do it, it makes me laugh and usually the other guys at the range too.

8. apamburn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So does IDPA teach to remove the partial mag first then go for the full mag?

I was taught to leave partial in the weapon in case you have to abandon the RWR to defend yourself and need more than 1 round.

So I bring the weapon in, retrieve new mag, properly indexed, remove old mag between middle and ring finger, insert new magazine, stow old mag, and point in again.

I think doing a RWR would be very difficult on the move. I would suggest that a RWR really isn't meant to be fast (not that it must be super slow, either) and that it would be better to do it from cover.

If I'm moving and reloading, I'm doing a speed reload and just dropping the mag (I think). RWR too complicated to do while on the go.

9. dsglenn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I shoot with Morgan at the local matches, however I'm usually not in his squad and the you tube videos it's hard to see the reload. I'm practicing with the waist and have it down pretty good.

10. dsglenn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    IDPA will allow you to do a Tactical reload, where you bring the spare mag up first then swap, or a RWR. RWR is faster since you are only going to the waist once, not twice with a tactical reload.

11. apamburn

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Oh so it's a time/points thing.

12. SK13R

SK13R XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It depends on the stage and what type of reload it is calling for. Unless tactical is required, the RWR is faster. I have my t-shirt tucked in so its easier to stick in my pants on the way to mag 2. Haven't had any fall out.

13. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0
    RWR ot TR, they are essentially the same thing, either way you are keeping the partially spent mag. I usually shoot in cargo pants & the mag goes in the leg pocket. On the move is not a big deal, just depends on how coord you are & where you want to stow the mag. On the move, it usually goes in my pants pocket. At times moving behind cover, it's beneficial to RWR, you are not doing anything else anyway.

14. VR4

VR4 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Wait What???? You shoot with Morgan and your asking us about RWR??? I've talked with him on FB and he seems to be a awesome person to talk to so I don't see why you wouldn't of ask him about it. Just saying.

15. Spike

Spike XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not nearly as high speed, low drag as a lot of IDPA shooters but I put the mag in my front left pocket. My mag pouches are at about 09:30 on my waste.