I want to Buy a High Cap 1911...which one?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Dragrat, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Dragrat

Dragrat XDTalk Newbie

Kanopolis KS...dead in the middle of Hillbilly cou
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been looking to buy a High cap 1911 9mm or .45acp. I currently have 2 other 1911s in .45acp and love both of them. One is an S&W compact and the other is a Springfield SS full size. I have been looking at Para 1911s but have heard some bad reviews about them. I also hear that there customer service is bad as well. I have looked at some STI pistols as well as Wilson Combat. Unfortunately I don't have that much to spend at this time on those two. Any suggestions? The Para that i want is the Para Tactical 14+1 in the .45 or the PXT 18+1 in the 9mm. Any one with any advice or a good starting point? I really wish all company's had CS like Springfield but i know that's not the case. Or does any one have one for sale maybe? Thanks

2. Tattooed Bard

Tattooed Bard XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0
  3. kenneth

kenneth XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    save for the STI you wont be disappointed.

4. Dragrat

Dragrat XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have looked at the RI and they just kinda look cheesy. How is the warranty and customer service with STI

5. ETexPops

ETexPops XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Warranty and CS with STI are top notch. For the price of their guns, it should be!

6. Tattooed Bard

Tattooed Bard XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0

whatever

7. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +38 / 0
    Are you aware the Springfield makes a double stack 1911?

And, fwiw, the RIA pistols are solid, and with excellent customer service should you over have an issue.

8. chameleon

chameleon XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Definitely save up for the STI if you are willing to wait. Even "The Nuge" backs them 110%

9. vash_241987

vash_241987 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    on top of that the SA looks the same as the RIA with GI sights and all. If you really dont want to spend alot on a hi-cap 1911 para and RIA are the only choices, other than that STI is the other manufacture that I know of that offer the 2011 pistols. The difference between the 2011 and hi-cap 1911 is that the 2011 grips are plastic and the whole frame of a hi-cap 1911 is steel, just a FYI.

10. Supraman

Supraman XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am a newbie to 1911, so I have a question about the Rock Island and STI. A local pawn shop had a STI, I don't remember which model; nonetheless, the owner was pushing for a sale really bad, but I didn't bite on it. The condition was poor, scratches over the sides, showed slight holster wear, and the price was OUCH at $1800. What impress me was the magazine capacity was 15 rounds. Wow!

The question I have is that a normal price for a STI or Rock Island 1911s. I feel it was kinda steep, and is it normal to have a capacity to be 15 rounds?

11. Bulk Ammo

Bulk Ammo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would say take a look at the RIA if you can't afford a STI right now. The Para 1911 can be good but they are hit or miss. I've seen enough of them with issues that I try to just steer clear. You can get them really cheap new or used.

@Supraman - The price of an STI depends on the condition and model. $1800 seems a bit steep given the condition. He may have just gotten in on a bad deal and wanted to offload it.

12. blwnv8

blwnv8 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +10 for the STI. I have a custom built STI Trojan 5.0 that was built by hand in their custom shop before they closed it. The have a pretty much lifetime warranty. They unconditionally guarantee all their guns. They even sent me 2 new fiber optic rods for my front sight for free, shipping included. Bout enough to do the sights prob 6 times. I'm not sure about a stock STI b/c I've never had one but I'm sure they're great guns. I do know it can out shoot a $3k night hawk custom 1911. Save for the STI, you'll be glad you did.

13. kenneth

kenneth XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm dying for a trojan 5.0. I keep going back to that pistol. Damn you VR!

14. chameleon

chameleon XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rock Island's are a 4-500 dollar 1911 as where STI's range from 1k up passed 2k. Most of their hi-cap 1911's are in the $1800+ range.

15. vash_241987

vash_241987 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
  16. Dragrat

Dragrat XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was not aware that springfield made a double stack 1911!!! i have looked at their pistols several times but must have missed it.. i will have to check again..And not to offend the RIA guy i just dont like the hammer, trigger and couple other features on their 1911s..I guess those are easily replaced and i have heard that they are great guns.. I have also heard that the spartan STI 1911 has a RIA frame. Still not sure what im going to buy. I live in a small town were i have to drive 100+ miles to go gun shop with any kind of selection. Im not one to order a pistol without ever holding it either. I have held a couple Para double stacks and thats about it. Thanks for all the help.

17. rangeme

rangeme XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The only high capacity 1911 that I have every owned, I still have and like it very much. I have the Springfield Armory Hi-Cap 1911, 14+1. Have had not one single problem with it, a lot of fun to shoot. It takes the same magazines as the Para P-14.

18. vmo

vmo XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've had a couple of the Para P-14s and a P-18 (9mm), they were all okay. The weak point with Paras seems to be the mag springs. Every issue I've had with the Paras over the years was solved with the installation of new mag springs. Don't forget that Kimber made a double stack 1911 also, though it had a polymer frame and they seem sort of expensive. Armscor also makes a dbl stack but I don't know if it still imported. It uses Para mags, but comes with decent sights, a commander hammer, and a beavertail.