Springfield XD Forum banner

I need help picking out a 22 bolt action rifle

6K views 34 replies 17 participants last post by  schnyd112 
#1 ·
I know nothing about .22 rifles, except that I should probably have one. One of my friends and I went to his outdoor range a few weekends ago to shoot. We started off at the 200 yard .22 range with plans to shoot his rifle a little and head off to the handgun section...we ended up shooting his .22 for about 3 hours. We had a blast setting up the metal targets and knocking them down. It was a little windy out, but that just made the longer shots that much more fun.

My goal is to get a bolt action .22 that I can use at the range, so I don't have to use his all the time. I love shooting, and I really like shooting when it does not cost me a few hundred dollars every time I go out. After 3 hours with the .22, we hardly made a dent in his box of 500 rounds. My budget for this purchase is $1,000 or less. I know I will have to spend extra for the optic, and that is okay. I don't resell my guns, so I would like something I can keep for a long time.

I'm open to any and all brands that you guys have experience with/own. Thank you for your help.

#6 ·
The Savages, the 77/22, and the New Ruger American .22 are all great choices, you wouldn't go wrong...

But, I'd look at a CZ. If I were buying a new bolt action .22, this would be in my very short list.

CZ 455 Varmint Tacticool Suppressor-Ready - CZ-USA

Unfortunate name, though.
I have shot a Ruger American rimfire. The dumba owner put a scope that belongs on a .338 L., so I couldn't really get the experience that I wanted from it.

#12 ·
Dang... Cuda beats me to it most times.... I would have suggested the Ruger American .22 ....... Just picked up a Ruger 10/22 (I know.. I know... semi, you want a bolt), and am happy with that... sorta. I have some glitches to work out.

The CZ would also be on a very, very short list, probably ahead of the Ruger American.

#13 ·
Dang... Cuda beats me to it most times.... I would have suggested the Ruger American .22 ....... Just picked up a Ruger 10/22 (I know.. I know... semi, you want a bolt), and am happy with that... sorta. The CZ would be ahead of the Ruger American 22 probably.

#14 ·
Dang... Cuda beats me to it most times.... I would have suggested the Ruger American .22 ....... Just picked up a Ruger 10/22 (I know.. I know... semi, you want a bolt), and am happy with that... sorta. The CZ would be ahead of the Ruger American 22 probably.

#34 · (Edited)
The CZ 452 is a class above a stock Ruger.
If possible, look for a "Military Trainer" or "American"
Test targets are included with the rifles and stock, often compete with fully modified Ruger 10/22 match rifles with the right ammunition at a fraction of the price. Magazines are expensive, but they last forever (metal), assuming you don't pick up a Ultra-Lux (plastic mags) and CZ sells a single shot adapter for little ones if you have them around. I have some test targets, but thanks to Photobucket can't post. However, great article below, which provides an objective view of what bolt 22 rifles can do (stock and modified).

Day2 22LR Accuracy Test: 100 Yards: Day At The Range

What I don't like about the 452 is the trigger. You can fix this, very cheaply with the YoDave kits (<$25) or go full out with the Timney adjustable trigger. Also, some of the stocks are the European style and I prefer the American setup. There are plenty of aftermarket options if desired/required. There are also a couple parts that are stamped (trigger guard) that have no real affect, but make an otherwise excellent rifle feel/look cheap. Easily fixed with aftermarket billet options if you desire/care.

CZ 452 Military Trainer

Anschutz Model 64

The USA CZ 455 looks like a serious rifle, and how the heck would I know CZ made rifles! Way cool. Thank you. I will keep reading up on what you guys post, but that looks like a good rifle to start comparing others to. The $900 price tag is fine for a rifle in my opinion. The ammo is super cheap to shoot, so buying a $900 .22 is kinda like buying a nice handgun and 1.000 rounds to shoot through it. If the CZ is well built, it would probably last me the rest of my life.
I recommend looking for a CZ 452 vice 455 if possible, Buds used to have very good prices < $400
Is it the "best" rifle, no, but an awfully good one IMO.

CZ 452 - Wikipedia

In your price range, a better rifle, but will not ship with optics or irons, which you need to purchase separately, is the Anschutz Model 64, specifically the 1416 D HB Classic. Phenomenal rifle and available in various setups. However, a CZ 452 with a new barrel and Timney trigger will be just as good, if not better, but the price will be nearly equivalent, and the CZ will not have the re-sale value. If you are looking to compete in sporter/bench rest, this is, IMO, a better option. I also prefer the stock of the Model 64 over CZ, but magazines are horrifically expensive.

Anschutz | Champion's Choice - Model 64

The CZ 452 I owned several years ago has now become the 455. I liked it, didn't love it (as I do my 10/22). Still, it's a really well-made rifle, and very accurate.
I've had 6 CZ 452s, I still have 5 and sold one, and regret it. The CZ 455s didn't shoot quite as well, although still excellent, and I didn't retain them. I believe root cause of the difference with the 455 is the interchangeable barrel. Not a rifle guy, so I can only guess at root cause.

#21 ·
The USA CZ 455 looks like a serious rifle, and how the heck would I know CZ made rifles! Way cool. Thank you. I will keep reading up on what you guys post, but that looks like a good rifle to start comparing others to. The $900 price tag is fine for a rifle in my opinion. The ammo is super cheap to shoot, so buying a $900 .22 is kinda like buying a nice handgun and 1.000 rounds to shoot through it. If the CZ is well built, it would probably last me the rest of my life.

#24 ·
Or, for the old stuff: Find a good-condition Mossberg 46b or 44:

It will have a heavy, hardwood stock.
It will have a heavy steel barrel. Cosmetics matter little, so the first scratch won't matter.
It will have a user-adjustable trigger that goes from a) can't pull it to b) breaks like a 20-degree icicle to c) bump on the ground light--but won't shift until YOU move it.
It will hold a crap ton of rounds in the tube, and shoot short, long or long rifle interchangeably.
It may or may not have dial a sights with 8 different user options AND a usable peep sight.
It will have dual extractors that fling an expended case as far as you want depending on how hard you slap the ejector.
It will have a nice cuddly cheek piece and "Gen 4" finger grooves at no extra cost.
It will shoot accurately.

Yup, I like mine.

#28 ·
Or, for the old stuff: Find a good-condition Mossberg 46b or 44:

It will have a heavy, hardwood stock.
It will have a heavy steel barrel. Cosmetics matter little, so the first scratch won't matter.
It will have a user-adjustable trigger that goes from a) can't pull it to b) breaks like a 20-degree icicle to c) bump on the ground light--but won't shift until YOU move it.
It will hold a crap ton of rounds in the tube, and shoot short, long or long rifle interchangeably.
It may or may not have dial a sights with 8 different user options AND a usable peep sight.
It will have dual extractors that fling an expended case as far as you want depending on how hard you slap the ejector.
It will have a nice cuddly cheek piece and "Gen 4" finger grooves at no extra cost.
It will shoot accurately.

Yup, I like mine.
If looking for a crazy accurate budget gun, this is also an excellent choice.

I was shooting my Mossy 44US-D with CCI Standard Velocity ammo at 100 yards this past weekend. I'd say I averaged 4 of 5 hits on a 4" steel gong with iron sights. Probably shot 100rds at it.

Very fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6thMichCav
#33 ·
The CZ 452 I owned several years ago has now become the 455. I liked it, didn't love it (as I do my 10/22). Still, it's a really well-made rifle, and very accurate.

#35 ·
I have to throw a ticket in for the cz as well. I have a friend that went a little crazy on his, it's in a manners stock and matches his 6 creedmore as close as he could make it. It shoots absolutely lights out with subsonic .22 ammo. (I think he uses ely edge)

We have shot it out to 300 yards at steel, 100 yard dot drills, fly paper, it is pretty incredible. Makes you feel like a badass when your done shooting too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.