I called Glock (Smyrna, GA) today to .....

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by iCreek, Feb 11, 2011.

1. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    ... check the date on my 1st Generation model 17, and to confirm whether it has had the 1992 firing pin safety system upgrade, which it does not, still has all the black parts.

Called and got right in to the Glock customer support, he was helpful and confirmed the serial number is a 1986 model, made in 1985 (barrel date), imported July 1986, AU 0## serial number. He said it was from the first 9000 imported to the U.S. batch, offered to perform the trigger safety upgrade and go through the gun free of charge, just not sure I want to do that yet as not sure how much I am going to shoot it, have a Gen 3 model 17 for a shooter.

The 1st Gen Glock 17 has always been something I wanted to add it to my collection, kind of the first plastic gun I remember hearing about in the news. Of course Heckler & Koch used polymer for their VP70 pistol frame in 1970, but I don't remember that gun growing up, so to me this is the first polymer handgun, and a classic 9mm gun for my collection.

Here are some pics with the orginal tupperware box, NFML/NDF mags, and Nov. 1985 owners/instructional manual....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. texan_eagle_scout

texan_eagle_scout XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    If it's more of a collectible, would it be worth more "as built" or "modified" to include the safety change?

Seems "as built" would be worth more since there will be fewer of those remaining. It depends on what you are going to do with it.

3. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Exactly what I was thinking.... and I still think it would be safe to shoot, based on reading the Glock technical bulletin #920403, referring to the 'optional upgrade'.

4. FATSEXY

FATSEXY XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you've got a Gen 3 as a shooter, just safe queen that baby and let the value climb. I'm not sure that there will ever really be a super high dollar market for first generation GLOCKs (or any modern handguns) the way there is for early 1911s, but it wouldn't hurt to keep it as original and pristine as you could.

5. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +322 / 4
    Very nice early G17 you have there.

I have a 1992 made 2nd gen G17 and I will have to say that to the age old list of "death and taxes" being the only two sure things....I add the Glock 17.

When it all breaks down and the "S" is hitting the "F"...I want my AK and Glock 17 and everything else stays in the safe until things cool down.

Ugly and some might not like the grip angle, but there no denying the Glock 17 is the most reliable double stack 9mm in the world.

- brickboy240

6. BG_Atl

BG_Atl XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Let me start by saying that I am not a Glock guy BUT....

Living here in Glockland (Yes... Georgia) I hear from folks constantly
    about the level of service that they get from Glock.

If you plan to shoot it and not just make a safe queen of it...
    send it to Glock !! if those are original or older mags, send them
    as well. Glock DEFINTELY knows how to do customer service.
    It is not unusual for folks to take their gun into Glock to have sights
    installed and end up with several upgrade/updates and new mags.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for you.... :rolleyes:

7. misfit-x

misfit-x XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Now that's cool. I too am not a big Glock guy but I can appreciate that for sure. I would keep it original and just shoot your gen 3. Enjoy your piece of history and innovation.

8. Mercmar

Mercmar XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    If you want to keep the G17 as a combination shooter/collection piece, why not just buy the upgraded parts and install them yourself, keeping the originals, in case you decide to sell that old G17 later? All the parts are available at reasonable prices from Lonewolf Distributors. You won't need any special tools, of course, to replace every part on a Glock.

9. Ocean82

Ocean82 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is bringing back funny memories. I remember when Glocks were introduced, for the longest time they were being attacked for being an assassin's gun that wouldn't set off metal detectors. lol. Ah good times.....

THat an interesting discovery for you though. I'd keep it all original.