I am extremely excited!

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by Ziggidy, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Ziggidy

Ziggidy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After many many weeks of looking, I decided to get the XDM 9mm compact...

....and I pick it up tonight, in about 11 hours!!!

My first handgun purchase! Any advice for me?

One question I have revolves around the potential future of gun control; especially living in Illinois.

The magazines on this gun is 13 and 19. IF and only if the state decides that I will be limited to the magical safe number of rounds in a magazine of 10; what will my options be? I have pre-searched and found nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. elliotriley

elliotriley XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Good morning and welcome! My only advice would be to ensure that you know and understand the proper functions of your gun and how to use it safely. If you aren't familiar with it check out an NRA 101 class, they're excellent when you're getting used to a new gun as they will show you how to take it down, shoot it, and take proper care of it.

As far as Illinois is concerned, it could go either way. Typically magazines purchased prior to the ban are grandfathered in, which would mean you could keep them but would have to purchase allowable magazines in the future. That's why magazines are hard to find right now. If IL does institute a ban you'll be able to find magazines within your allowable limits, companies will make them to make money. Very rarely are previously owned magazines banned, but NY shows that it can happen.

Welcome again and enjoy your XDM! I've got the same one as you and it has never had a failure to feed, jam, or anything. She's perfect!

3. BJB5781

BJB5781 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Welcome and congrats! Like the previous poster said... get familiar with the gun and figure out what backstrap works best for your hands. Also practice, practice, practice! Enjoy your new piece!

4. Cowboy6414

Cowboy6414 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congrats on your new addition. It would be impossible to try and guess what legislators are thinking as far as the ban or limitations on guns. A rational thinking would be that previous purchases on high cap mags would be grandfathered, but that is no guarantee as New York has shown. I personally am acquiring a comfortable amount of high cap mags but not hoarding like its doomsday as others are. Enjoy your new purchase, practice with it,sleep with it and treat it well. You never know when it will repay the favor.

5. drcreepyfoot

drcreepyfoot XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congrats!! Enjoy, be safe and responsible! Shooting sports are the most fun you can have standing up...

6. Mack21

Mack21 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congrats on the new purchase. Having 20 rounds in your hand will be awesome. Don't forget to consider joining the NRA to help protect your ability to carry those 20 rounds.

7. sirsimon

sirsimon XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congratulations - I'm happy that you could find one, getting hard these days to find a crappy gun let alone a good one. ;-)

Be safe and have fun!

8. civicjoe

civicjoe XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    so im guessing by now you have it! if so success! and congrats

9. 57K

57K XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 3
    No doubt about it, it's a great pistol. ;)

10. GatPistolGuy

GatPistolGuy XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    good efing choice keep that slide wiped down i left a finger print on my bitone compact .40
    and i gotta spot of rust or what seems to be rust its dark and not going away no matter what i use or do and get some rounds fired off

11. tstitans

tstitans XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll throw in the idea of taking some kind of training course that goes beyond simple safety and actually teaches a lot of the principles involved (positions, grips, effective defense techniques, CCW rules, etc.). IMO, and in hindsight, getting training took my personal abilities to have and use a firearm from being slightly-more-dangerous-to-myself-and-others-because-I-now-had-a-gun to feeling like I could actually protect myself and loved ones in a life threatening situation. No amount of upgrades or extra accessories have been worth the money I spent to go out for a 2 day training course. Just my $0.02.

PS. I came from a background that had limited exposure to firearms, especially handguns. The experience might be different for people who grew up around them or have years of gradual experience at the range, professional training as law enforcement, or some other exposure to the world of handguns and defense.