Hunting with WWII K98 Mauser

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by surfish95747, Jun 23, 2010.

1. surfish95747

surfish95747 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys, I tried to find anything related but couldnt.

Q #1: Has anybody ever hunted deer or boar or anything with old WWII military rifles? Specifically, I have an 8mm K98 manufactured in Germany.

Q #2: And has anybody done this with just iron sights? I'm thinking that would be fun and a bit more of a challenge. Thanks guys!

2. Bowhuntr01

Bowhuntr01 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had an uncle that used a WW II surplus 8mm Mauser for many years and to great effect on deer and hogs. I can't remember him ever having anything but iron sights on it. Iron sights, with practice, are just fine for "minute of deer" accuracy out to 100-150 yards depending on the skill of the shooter. Some are capable of even longer shots. Ammo availability might be a problem, but I think Winchester and Remington still load a suitable hunting bullet in 8mm. Good luck with it!

3. mikeybigb

mikeybigb XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Years ago I remember my dad on and off carried an old 8mm Mauser with only irons deer hunting. I watched him drop a nice 160's class buck one day running at about 75 yds. Ammo seemed a little high but readily produced by major manufacturers.

4. cypress

cypress XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have hunted with a Mosin Nagant M38 the past two deer seasons and have taken deer at approx. 100 and 140 yards but I used a scout style mounted 4x scope. That's about as far out as I want to shoot a deer with it. I shot pretty poorly with the original irons. That being said, I've been considering picking up a Mauser sometime and really working on my shooting skills with the iron sights if my old eyes can adapt. I think it's a lot of fun to hunt with these old rifles.

My brother in law has an 8mm Mauser with a hand made sporting stock that his father made and gave to him as his first hunting rifle. My son used it for a couple of hunting seasons till he got his own rifle.

5. Viddi212

Viddi212 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hunt with a 30:06 Mauser 1909 Argentino. Basically a "civilian" version of the 98k. Used on deer, and late this year going to take it on a bear hunt. Last time I took it out got a doe at about 150yr. Hit it a little more left that I would have liked but in the cage and didn't track for long. I've hit one at the base of the skull before too, nearly takes the head off. Irons only, I refuse to use optics :D

6. MARSS

MARSS XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've taken 2 deer with my Czech Mauser (whitetail and axis) I have friends that have hunted with Turk Mausers for years with good success. All are with iron sights

From what I've read in the Speer manual the factory hunting ammo for them is loaded weak to accomodate the pre-98 models and isn't much better than a 30-30. Its supposed to be equal to a .308 when loaded to higher pressures.

I just wish the rifles were as cheap as they were 10 years ago.