Hunting with a 9mm?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by nontrad, Feb 7, 2011.

1. nontrad

nontrad XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm sorry about the stupid question, but I'm pretty new to the world of firearms and completely new to the world of hunting, so I figured I'd ask. Does anybody hunt with 9mm handguns?

I mean, conceptually, I guess I could see small game, like rabbits or birds, but is it possible to hunt with a 9mm round?

Thanks ahead of time, guys!

John

2. bigtfw2000420

bigtfw2000420 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I hunt for raccoon with 9mm

3. CdnInAz

CdnInAz XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    small game perhaps, but think about range and accuracy at range - a handgun is no match for a rifle in that regard.

big game - no. Bear for example - the only thing 9mm will do is pizz off the bear, or perhaps put yourself out of misery after the bear mauls you for upsetting him ;)

I have not hunted for years and never really considered myself much of a hunter, but when out to range with either of my two magnum revolvers have met revolver hunters who use magnums. I think anything less than magnum does not have enough power.

4. TucsonDirt

TucsonDirt XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    I've thought about hunting javelina with a 9mm, probably could do it.
    But I only got back into hunting this year after being out here 10 years.
    I missed a lot of quail this fall!

Here's one for the Ammo Can: 12-year old shotgun shells shoot just fine!

5. CdnInAz

CdnInAz XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +29 / 0
    not from what I've heard/read - any of the handgun hunters I have met take Javelina with magnums. An acquaintance who bow hunts Javelina has been saying I should join him with my Blackhawk. Tempting, but I am of mindset that what you hunt you must eat, and I have no interest in eating a stinky critter whose closest cousin is a rat.

6. FatCamXD

FatCamXD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You could use 9mm. I've seen dear around my stand less than 10 yards away and could have easily dropped them with any round out there. Its all about placement. I got a buddy that dear hunts with a silenced .22 long. Hits em right behind the ear and they drop like a rock.

7. TucsonDirt

TucsonDirt XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +28 / 0
    Thanks for the info, Cd! I really hadn't heard if javelinas were any good to eat, I was figuring "pork", but like you I only hunt it if I'll eat it.

8. nontrad

nontrad XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I see javelinas in front of my parents house pretty often. Now every time I see one, I'm going to think about a nearly free pulled pork recipe. haha.

9. NewBlackDak

NewBlackDak XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I have taken injured hogs with a 9. They were down, and a single shot behind the ear takes care of them. Seems cruel to hunt anything large with 9mm.

Rabbits and birds are hunted with shotguns for a reason. The small, fast, and change direction quickly.

10. scxd40

scxd40 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    a good 9mm should be capable of downing a deer assuming you have good shot placement. i really wouldnt reccomend it tho unless your a good shot and very close range. i sometimes bring my .357 to the stand and if something walks in close enough i will try my luck with it. hogs....good luck. the hogs around here make my .270 seem like a bb gun.

11. ADA

ADA XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    This pops up from time to time on here. Someone is always so proud of their 9mm they want to prove it's virtues. Basically the answer is: Can you hunt with a 9mm? Yes, where legal. Should you hunt with a 9mm? No. Why would you when so many better choices are available.

12. SouthPaw0180

SouthPaw0180 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Semi-auto handguns are illeagl to hunt with here in PA...but if we could I would definately take out my XD 9mm subcomact for squirrel...I think it would be a great challenge!

13. XDTA

XDTA XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've witnessed my uncle take a whitetail at 20 yards with a Hi-Power 9mm, ran about 50 yards and dropped dead. Hit her dead on in the lungs, not sure what ammo he was using, i believe it was +p just dont know brand or grains. Its possible, though you better be really close and very sure of your shot. Alot of people say 9mm doesn't have the power, and that you shouldn't use anything under 1,000 ft/lbs energy for deer, yet your average compound bow only generates 300-400 ft/lbs, comparative to a 9mm.

14. AZXD

AZXD XDTalk 35K Member

Ratings:
    +107 / 0
    After you've seen a magnum round bounce off of a Javelina, and really piss it off ... You'll never think about using a 9mm, EVER ;)

15. m2jordan

m2jordan XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    An arrow works differently then a bullet. It is cutting thru a larger area and does a lot of tissue damage. Any one who bow hunts knows the difference.

A 9mm bullet, depending on bullet type, may do a lot of damage up close and not expand at all at further ramges. The 9mm was designed for hunting but war. Use a cartridge that was designed with hunting in mind. BTW while a .22lr may kill a deer at extreme close range I would not use it either, besides both are illegel for hunting large game in Wyoming. Where you are at it may be different, but that doesn't change my opinion about what's right to hunt with.