HTH does someone reach a REAL person at the IRS on the phone?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by BigDinTexas, Mar 1, 2012.

1. BigDinTexas

BigDinTexas XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I have called all the numbers available (local office states they will not take calls on their answering machine message), 800-829-1040, 800-829-1954, and 800-829-4477 and none allow me to reach a person.

Reason I need to call them is that my tax refund has still not hit my bank, even though the IRS's own "Where's My Refund" site says it should have been deposited by 28 Feb 2012. On that same page it says to wait until after that date to contact them if I have not received it. Well, there is no link to contact them. The help section for Refunds doesn't indicate anything but to call the above numbers... Arrrrrrrggg...

I feel like a mouse trapped in a maze with no cheese or exits...

Anyone know a better method? I can't really take time off to drive to the office (located in a different town).

Don

2. rayikeo2

rayikeo2 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Why the big rush to get it? Wait until tomorrow and check your bank. I bet it will be there. If not, check to make sure you gave them the right bank account numbers. Do you have your bank account on your computer?

3. Bucc5207

Bucc5207 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0
    You should be able to get a human on 800 829-1040. Stay off the "Where's my refund?" branch of the phone menu. Punch the numbers as if you had a tax question. If not, try the Taxpayer Advocate Service.

4. Rustynuts

Rustynuts XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +60 / 11
    Yur doing it wrong. You need to OWE them money, THEN you'll get someone on the phone. Quickly.

5. BigDinTexas

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Haha... I know... Does this qualify for the double facepalm fail meme? LOL...

Don

6. prof_fate

prof_fate XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 1
    I just call my best friends wife...she works for the IRS.

It can take a day or two for things to work through the system. Call you bank first - much easier to get a person there.

Does the IRS give you a transaction number or anything?

Since I owe the IRS this year, can I do what they do and get away with it? LOL

7. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +302 / 4
    I have gotten a human voice on the phone while calling an IRS office.

However it took several tries and calling at odd hours.

Be patient....it is normal for it to be difficult to get a human voice on the phone when calling the IRS.

...been there.

- brickboy240

8. NewBlackDak

NewBlackDak XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    You just wait until April 17!

9. bowl443

bowl443 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Was it looking for audio feedback, or touch tone feedback.

If audio, then just start cussing. Those programs usually listen for certain words that indicate a pissed off caller. They will elevate the call accordingly. I've tried it several times, and it usually works. Just remember to be your usual polite self when you do get a human.

10. BigDinTexas

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Touchtone only...

Even though the IRS states on their "Where's my refund" website that I should receive my refund my 28 Feb, it also states elsewhere that refunds filed electronically can take 10-21 days from the acceptance date (17 Feb in my case) to be completed... Guess that means the .gov could just be dragging their feet because they can... Luckily this was gonna go straight into furthering our down payment for a house in the future, so if it takes a little longer, I'll be okay. However, I would feel better having it sooner than later.

Don

11. Justin89t

Justin89t XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This information was obtained via word of mouth, so it may not be the most accurate, but since hearing it several years ago it's always held true.... Regardless of what the date on the website says, your refund will always be deposited on a Friday.

Which means you should see your money in your bank tomorrow.

Again, no evidence what-so-ever to back that up, but it's always held true for me (4-5 years or so?)

12. Medic738

Medic738 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ha my dad is a CPA and can't reach them sometimes. He says you have better odds of winning the lottery than getting to talk to an intelligent person at the IRS

13. Bucc5207

Bucc5207 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +76 / 0
    Despite what IRS says on the Where's My Refund page, refunds sometimes disappear. If you have an outstanding tax liability from a prior year (which could be yours or that of an ex-spouse), or unpaid student loans, or back child support, they will divert your refund to apply to those things. IRS records will show a 'refund issued,' but you have to read a little farther along in the account history to see 'refund applied to whatever.' Lazy or inexperienced call-center agents often miss the second entry and tell you they paid you.

We have a client who did not get a refund for about $13000 (OK, yes, the guy was foolish to overpay that much, but that's another discussion), from a joint return he filed a few years ago. When we dug into it, we found that they kept the money to apply to his ex-wife's unpaid student loans.

14. Claythrower

Claythrower XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A few years ago my wife and I tried to fly out of Chicago. We got stuck here and due to weather we couldn't make it out to where we were going. How ever our bags made it to our destination. Small issue my wife's medication was in the bag and we didn't have any at home (lesson learned on that one we don't fly anymore). Did some calling around to the air carriers and located our bags. Two weeks later they still didn't show up. I called the air line and go figure couldn't figure out how to talk to someone. In a bit of frustration I screamed "go f--- yourself" to the recording. What do you know it transfers me to someone and I'm talking to said person in 10 seconds. Give it a shot it might just work!

15. CrAz3D

CrAz3D XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I've also spoken to real people...they haven't ever been very helpful.

Hopefully it's just a matter of waiting it out.