Howa M-1500 LSI 223 opinions?

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by Ruttin' Buck, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Ruttin' Buck

Ruttin' Buck XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone have one of these weapons? Anyone ever shoot one?

I really enjoy long range shooting and varminting with my 22-250 and recently had 2 things happen that dictate I buy a new rifle...

1. my wife and I just had a son (look out gun shop!)
    2. I bought a guy's entire reloading setup and it had over 1000 rounds of 223/5.56...so I have to use that as an excuse with the mrs. to pick up another rifle instead of selling the brass!

So I was looking into a 223/5.56 Bushmaster/Remington but I am really having a hard time considering a semi-auto for accurate long distance shooting despite all of the good press I have read and heard from hunting buddies of mine.

Bottom line is I really like bolt actions when it comes to rifles...so long story longer...the Howa M-1500 caught my eye.

Anyone have any experience with this rifle?

2. tec

tec XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +64 / 0
    bump

come on somebody, answer him....

3. Wildthing

Wildthing XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a 1500 in 223. It started life as a barreled action. I placed it in an inexpensive synthetic stock. slapped a Supersniper X16 power scope on it and have had a blast with it.

It has a very smooth action and great accuracy. The trigger has an initial hitch that lets me know that it is getting serious about going off.

All and all it was a very good pickup.

Good luck

Neil

Ps I have a Bushmaster V-match 223 w/ 20 inch barrel. Reliable and accurate. I wish that I would have sent extra for a match trigger. I plan to replace it with aftermarket trigger soon.

4. Mister XD

Mister XD XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No complaints here on the Bushmaster Super Light in .223 either. Wild is right about the synthetic stock, it makes the gun soooo much lighter and easier to carry, especially if you like to use slings, like I do. Sometimes you forget it's on your back!

5. Ruttin' Buck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wildthing...how long have you owned yours if you don't mind my asking? I read a few reports of guys that said the same thing about the trigger. The most recent owners said Howa has fixed the trigger.

I am not afraid to do a little trigger work...mostly concerned that the gun is capable of putting some decent groups together.

I have a 22-250 that has spoiled me but in the reading I have done it sounds like their accuracy is pretty good.

6. jnclement

jnclement XDTalk 2K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    So what is the twist on the Howa, and what grain bullets are you shooting?

7. Ruttin' Buck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Twist is 1-12".

The 223 will be a new caliber for me. I am a reloader so of course I will spend some time finding my pet setup.

I am pretty true to my 22-250 when it comes to taking coyote mostly because I have spent so much time with it and I have it absolutely dialed with a decent 6-20 mil-dot scope with side parallax adjustment which makes life pretty easy.

So that said, I am really looking for a heavy barrel 223 that can handle prairie doggin', targeting, and probably primarily shorter range (under 300 yards) coyote hunts.

Number one concern for me is that I can find a load that will give me the best accuracy with the gun...any of the grain sizes I will load I will be confortable hunting coyotes with.

Again, my son (God willing he likes hunting) will be needing something eventually....unless of course I make him my short range shotgunner. Had a few wileys sneak up on me over the years and that may be a better decision....of course it has been made clear to my wife that this is absolutely a caliber I need to get for my him. :wink:

8. jnclement

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Personally, I'd look at a Savage. But I like Savages a lot. Although I have a couple of Howas.

9. Ruttin' Buck

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have 1 Savage lever action I do like. Historically they were not known much for their looks but they made and probably still make a pretty accurate rifle. As a hunter I really like the Savage an Remington safeties the best.

Not only do I like the price of the Howa but I also like the standard field stock which means my son can use it as soon as he can lift it and he can grow up with it...oh, and his dad can use it in the mean time.

This is the one I'm talking about.
    Howa/Knoxx Axiom Varminter Rifles & Varminter Rifle Packages

It looks like a comparable Savage to me will run about 50% more. Given this I think I may pull up on the Howa...the ranges will be open soon here in MN.

10. jnclement

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hard to believe a Savage will cost 50% more, when that Knoxx stock probably costs almost as much as the entire Savage. A 223 bolt isn't going to do anything your 22-250 doesn't already do better. Buy an AR before they're illegal. Your hunting buddies are confused or uninformed, and have obviously never seen an NRA High Power match at 600 yards. CMMG has some great bargain bin deals for $570.

11. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +468 / 5
    My cousin bought a Howa varminter in 243 and I shot it a few times and loved it. Very accurate and a steal for the money spent.

I'd say if the 223 is anything like its 243 twin, it ought to be a great varmint rig.

- Brickboy240

12. Wildthing

Wildthing XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ruttin' Buck

Sorry I have not got back to you sooner on this.

I have had the gun for about 5-6 years and I bought the action used from a friend. I don't know how old the rifle actually but the serial # is B042XXX if that helps.

The gun's groups hover around the 1-1 1/4 inch mark. It depends on me. a better stock may improve things.

Have you seen the new HOWA compact? A 20 inch barrel gun that come with a short wood stock for a smaller shooter and a full sized synthetic stock for when they grow up? It looks appealing.

jnclement

I have used 55 grain bullets loaded w/ fmj, soft points and polymer tip bullets from a company called Wisconsin Cartridge.