how to tell if a mac 11 is full auto??

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by ef9turbo, Aug 17, 2006.

1. ef9turbo

ef9turbo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    okay i have a cobray mac 11.. well today i was messing around with it and loaded a full mag in there.. i pulled back the slide hammer and let it slingshot and 3 rounds full auto fired and it was on safety.. i did not have my finger on the trigger.. anywho, from what i was told it is a semi? is there a way to find out if its a full auto or a semi that was modified? the other side of the reciever does not have a switch for full auto to semi like people says it should.. please help!! thanks ahead of time!

ef9

2. coastemac

coastemac XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The test we are taught to check and see is, with an EMPTY weapon, cycle the weapon, pull trigger and while holding down trigger, manually cycle again, if its full auto or even burst you will hear a click of the sear everytime you cycle. If you have to let up on the trigger and pull again to achieve this, its semi. Hope this helps.

3. ef9turbo

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    nice.. thanks.. i will go check it out.. thanks again!!

4. coastemac

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And for God's sake man, be careful !!! ;)

5. ef9turbo

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    of course! when the 3 burst came out it was outside in a controlled enviro.. anywho... i just went and tested it.. it does not do what you say, so now i have to ask you.. why did it go full auto and shoot out 3 rounds if its not auto or full burst? when i pulled the hammer back and slingshotted it foward it shot by itself.. any answers?

6. coastemac

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It could have been a number of things, but the important thing is that the weapon is obviously malfunctioning... unless it was purposly tampered with. It doesnt sound safe either way. Did it just happen the one time? Did you only shoot it the one time?

7. ef9turbo

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

yea its only been shot this once :p from me that is.. so i dunno.. i havent had the chance to take it out somewhere far or to the range to try it out.. outside just isnt the best place ya know :)

8. beardman2

beardman2 XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The mac-10 I've shot is full auto. However even set to semi it sometimes lets a couple extra fly. Freaks you out when it happens.

9. coastemac

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, I agree. So did you buy this from a dealer? Or was it a person to person sale? If it consistently fires multiple rounds you should a) Contact the dealer. b) Contact the manufacturer c) Person you bought it from and get your money back. It isnt legal to own if it fires more than one bullet with one pull of the trigger unless you have the proper documentation to back it up. Dont want to see you behind bars man... ;)

10. ef9turbo

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i got it from my brother in law which he purchased ftf which he is also a LE.. :p he hasnt shot it and i just that once.. but i didnt pull the trigger, i just slingshoted the slide and it went off.. but once i take it to the range or out somewhere really far where its safe, until then i guess i will find out..

11. coastemac

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I'd be damn careful with that weapon. If its full auto or even shoots burst its not legal, unless your brother in law has his license for full auto... and thats not easy/common to have. (Even cops cant have a full auto when not in the act of their job.) If it shot all on its own when you sling-shot it, without having your finger on the trigger - or even in the trigger guard - the gun is seriously not in safe condition. Not to mention the fact that its shooting several rounds when only supposed to fire one... I would test its ability to "float" or turn it into my local police if you cant sent it back to the company for repair/replacement. Still waiting for those pics too man.

12. dyferant

dyferant XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Isnt a mac 11 open bolt design? If you able to sling shot it the bolt will close and the round will go off everytime?? Check for a disconnector being worn out or malfunctioning.

13. coastemac

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good point... somethings really not right with it.

14. BBunin

BBunin XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Correct.
    It is an open bolt design.
    When you "Slingshoted" the bolt, is it possible that you did not pull the bolt all the way back?

Either way, it should not have popped off 3 rounds. Sounds like the bolt lock/Sear malfunctioning. Cobray is still around, aren't they? Why don't you give them a call.

15. John A.

John A. XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +49 / 5
    I know this is an old post, but I wanted to clear the air. Very few open bolt semi's are out there. They can be found, but are rare and are a premium when you could find one.

Tech branch said it was too easy to modify them to full auto, so everyone making them just after 1986 had to go to a closed bolt design, and inherently an entirely different fire control group and placement. I'm pretty sure that SWD was the company who redesigned the mac to a closed bolt design just to be able to continue selling them. Even Masterpiece Arms uses their closed bolt still to this day.

What could've happened was the firing pin was protruding out too far for whatever reason either by tampering or from a lack of cleaning and was stuck or because some idiot stuck a full auto bolt in it or whatever.

I just wanted to chime in and say that most semi mac's will be closed bolts. Either way, with this post being so old, I'm sure it's fixed ;)