How to remove rust from SD XD-9

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by s986, Jan 29, 2011.

1. s986

s986 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My gun has been locked in a case for a couple of years and not fired. There is a bit of rust on the slide (not too bad but there is some). When I used it I always cleaned and oiled it after each firing I guess it's just been locked away too long. What is the best way to remove the rust and care for it so it doesn't happen again?

Any other special considerations before I fire it again?

2. XDRoX

XDRoX XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    If you have the old finish on it I believe SA will refinish it for free. Hopefully someone that knows for sure will chime in.

3. s986

s986 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow great. It's definitely old. I bought in 03 or so. Does the new finish prevent rust?

That would be outstanding.

Thanks!

I am still curious the best way to remove rust in general if anyone knows. I have a really nice pellet gun that needs some work too.

4. XDRoX

XDRoX XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Ya they switched finishes after the first couple years because of rust complaints. I have one of the original finishes too, but mine's still holding up fine to all the abuse I've put it through.

Lots of people use the finest steel wool to get rust off of guns. This even works on blued guns. But I'm no expert in this area, so I'd wait to hear from more knowledgeable people.

5. Lewisusa1

Lewisusa1 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have found that 0000 steel wool and a good gun oil, I use CorrosionX, works really well. CorrosionX is an amazing product as it actually get into the steel. After using it you will definitely notice a different feel to the gun. It is a rust inhibitor and preventative. From their website:

• [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cuts through stubborn bore deposits for easier, more thorough cleaning
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Decreases fouling, even after hundreds or thousands of rounds
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lubricates and protects mechanisms and bores even better and longer than products fortified with Teflon*
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Ideal for semiautomatics and automatics
      [/FONT]
    • [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Sticks to metal like a magnet to prevent rust ... even in the rain[/FONT]
    Corrosion Technologies Corporation - 2

I got the 16oz pump and it will last for a hell of a long time.

As always, go very lightly on pressure with steel wool so as not to mar the finish (mainly on high sheen finishes)

Recon1

6. btaylor7474

btaylor7474 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    from what iv read. the rust is gerneraly from the case SA gives with the xd/m over time because it retains moisture in the foam so well. but iv read a light rubbing with steel wool clears it up nice. Iv also heard as said SA will refinish it however i cant talk on the validity of that as mines brand new.

7. swollengoat

swollengoat XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, this looks like a good thread to post my question ... I'll post some pics if it helps ... two parter ...

I have a couple XDm bi-tones ... I noticed on both that there are a couple spots that are grey -- no longer silver like the rest of the slide ... i've cleaned & oiled, but spots still remain ... is it possible to clean and get to look brand spanking new or did something corrode thru the finish ... on the XDm 45 I just got, which is in excellent condition with the one exception of the fouling on the front of the slide on one side, more of a grey/brown color and again, I've tried cleaning and oiling, but can't get the stains off, so same question, is it possible the fouling is permanent -- thru the finish or am I just not using a decent enough cleaner? (currently just have Hoppes and Winchester BreakAway ... any help appreciated as I just bought the gun and want it to look showcase beautiful if possible ... will update with pics as soon as I can, but am hoping some of the experts on here know what I'm dealing with ... making me think I should stay away from the stainless steel slides unless they're blued/black to keep them looking new ...

thanks all and any for the advice ...

//

8. xd40sc909

xd40sc909 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    this guy is on the money 0000 steel wool patients and love pil if you want but it will make it cut faster just rub it on it gently and it wiull come right off no damage at all get it refinished by sa if you can though

9. Seagrave 1963

Seagrave 1963 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Try Evapo-rust. The name is a little corny but it works great and does not require any scrubbing, scraping or sanding.

Here's a link for more info: http://www.evaporust.com/

Last edited: Mar 20, 2011
  10. law036

law036 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay, I have an XDM bi-tone .40 and after not taking it out of its case for a few months there are rust spots starting to form on the sides and top of the slide. I have only taken the pistol out of the original case 4 times to shoot it and have cleaned it very well after each use. I took yalls advice and called SA but they do not admit to the foam retaining water to be the problem. The have sent me a FEDEX pickup for free to examine my slide and considering what they find it will take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to try and resolve the finish/rust issue. I was also informed that although the bi-tone slide is made with a majority of stainless steel which does not rust, there are other metals added to strenghten the stainless since it is typically a very soft metal. I purchased the pistol in late 2009 and love the gun. Hopefully they have resolved this issue in the newer pistols.

11. grevengrevs

grevengrevs XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I recently purchased a XD40sc from the pawn shop that had a rust around the sights but the price was too good to pass so I took it. Called Springfield and they paid to have sent back and redone for free! Took less than two weeks and it looks awesome. Nothing but praise for the people at Springfield

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Tape

Tape XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    they sure will, I call them about my 1911 and they acted shocked but sent a RMA and FedEx picked it up and had it back in 2 weeks. Excellent CS

13. Blacksamwell

Blacksamwell XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My XD9sc seems to rust very easily. I have the black finish version.

I have to be careful to wipe it down with a well oiled rag or silicone cloth after handling it or else I'll find surface rust where I've touched it in 24 hours. I keep mine in a nylon Uncle Mike's holster in a bedside drawer during the day and out on the bedside table while I'm sleeping. I usually get out to the range with it once a week and am diligent about cleaning and oiling it after every use.

This quick formation of rust has me worried about using it for CC. Is it normal to have such quick rust formation from just touching the metal?

14. Stratajema

Stratajema XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @Blacksamwell

I am curious about the name of the cleaner and oil that you use and whether you live in a high humidity part of the country.

Not to preach to those who may know more than me but there are degreaser type cleaners and there are solvent type cleaners. The difference is that solvent based cleaners are metal-aggressive and dissolve copper and lead whereas degreasers are mild and remove grime, oils, carbon and powder. A degreaser will help remove but not dissolve copper and lead, if those substances are sticking lightly via powder or carbon residue to the metal surfaces.

When necessary, the solvent cleaner should be used where needed and probably not on the outer slide. After using a solvent and it has dried, some manufacturers say to clean the metal with 90+% isopropyl alcohol to remove the solvent's residue. Then apply the oil. I think some people are not spending the time to remove the solvent residue or are storing their firearms long-term after applying an all-in-one product that contains a solvent type cleaner.

The best approach is to avoid the all-in-one products (a.k.a. CLPs) that contain a solvent type cleaner. Buy separate bottles of degreaser, solvent and oil and use each based on need. An all-in-one product (e.g. Ballistol which contains mineral oil, alcohol degreaser and a mild solvent) does not give you that choice. After extensive research my choice is the Mil-Comm family of products sold under the NRA brand name: shop produtcs

Maybe this will be of help. I found this remark from another thread: "A combination of humidity, heat and various chemicals, including some of those found in common cleaning solvents can break down the polyfoam (in your Springfield gun case) into various acids, etc. that will attack metal." So if that is true then you don't want solvent (or solvent residue) coming into contact with the foam in your case.

And this is interestsing: http://slip2000.eu/media/lubricant/Corrosion_Analysis.pdf
    If they had used Mil-Comm's oil (MC2500) rather than paste (TW25b) in that test, then the rust would have probably been less because the oil seeps better into the metal.

I found these videos of amatuer experiments to be a real eye-opener:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O-cpOgvbfw&feature=related"]Ballistol Education And Warning - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sN6anOSVRQ"]Plate of Truth Day 14 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtKkSRLQN_A"]Frog Lube vs Mil-Comm - YouTube[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwlLc2DcmQ0&list=UUyqVhphtdI2AXo00jgW_UeQ&index=3&feature=plcp[/ame]

All of the above is my opinion. Your view and results may be different. I am not a shill for any manufacturer or product, and I am not an expert.

15. Budrick_3

Budrick_3 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had this happen to me after owning the gun for 3 months in an air conditioned enviroment. I called springfield, and they paid for shipping to have the slide fixed. Great customer service, and I would recommend this approach to avoid complications with your warrenty.