Springfield XD Forum banner

How to carry an extra mag?

4K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  TSiWRX 
#1 ·
I have a Mod 2 in FDE 9mm that I absolutely love!! I carry it with the 13 round flush fit mag installed. I also carry a 16 round mag in my right front pocket. The extra mag is just loose in my pocket so I am sure there has got to be a better way of carrying it. How do you guys carry an extra mag?

Joe

#3 ·
If you carry AIWB, sure.

If you carry at 4:00 or so...that could be a difficult reach...particularly if you have some..."natural body armor";)

Joezilla--there's a number of spare mag carriers out there--horizontal, vertical, canted, leather, kydex, IWB, OWB...you'll have to find what works for you.

#8 ·
I carry normal my G19 in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB rig, and have a IWB spare mag holder for my extra mag. I used to carry in a pocket loose, but found it annoying, it took up too much space (especially in jeans) and sometimes the top round would get knocked out of the feed lips as I moved around so I wanted a more stable way to carry them. But I've been very happy with the Crossbreed so far.

#15 ·
What's with the giant cod-piece holster/mag pouch combo things? Pubic bone be damned.

I don't believe anybody actually wears them regularly. I think they wear them just to take photos for Instagram and videos for YouTube.

#23 ·
I wear mine everyday, comfortably. It doesn't hinder movement and I can easily sit down with it on. It conceals much easier, extra mag on hand, etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#20 ·
#21 ·
#22 ·
I use a neomag, and it's not the best solution. I have an XDm Compact and carry the 19 rd double stack mag and the neomag just digs it into my leg. I do use it, but I don't care for it. It's also not the best size for the double stack mags. I also sometimes use the Comptac pouch holder, but that means even more room needed in the waistline of your pants. So, if they are big enough, this works MUCH better than the neomag for me.

i also wear Propper or 5.11 pants and the mag fits nicely into the small pouch on the left leg. When I'm not at work, I carry a shoulder pack and put the mag in there as I always have the bag on when I'm out and about. that the best solution and no pain that way. It sits on my left shoulder, so it's in the correct place and easy to grab.

Michael J.

#27 ·
I'm about to spring for a few of these solutions, I thought brilliant.

Springers: SnagMag for SIG/Springfield/S&W/1911
Glocks: SnagMag for Glocks
^ With the SnagMag and similar, the one thing you'll have to train yourself for is the "what if" of when that holder device comes OUT of your pocket WITH the magazine.

I've seen this happen now in two different training classes, to two different shooters. Since I don't get out to that many classes (I currently, 5 years out, still average about 100 hours a year, but this is decreasing), this stood out to me as an anomaly.

Just remember that even if it comes out with the mag, you can still get rid of it easily enough by hooking it onto something: the "failure drill" would be to snag that hook on something else - anything else - to kick it off the mag and get the mag into the gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.