How potent on people/mountain lion?? 185 Grain 44 Special 1150 FPS Buff Bore ammo

Discussion in 'Non-XD Handguns' started by TexDeuce, Jun 10, 2009.

1. TexDeuce

TexDeuce XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey guys, I just purchased a S&W 329PD for hunting backup/woods carry. It's a scandium lightweight 44 mag w/ 4 inch barrel. The recoil is impressive on full bore 44 mag rounds but companies make lower recoil rounds that aren't too bad. It's a great "carry often and shoot little" gun.

Anyways, I live in Texas and the 44 mag is only necessary on charging hogs. If I am not hog hunting I don't need the added recoil of the 44 mag.

The only other worries I would have are people and mountain lions. 44 mag is overkill for these two creatures so I was looking at hot 44 special ammo. The best I could find was 185 grain JHP Buffalo Bore ammo that has velocity in the 1150 feet per second range. This seems to be a fairly good hitting round. What do you guys think? Any other suggestions? Thanks.

2. 300UltraMag

300UltraMag XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    overkill? who cares? what your going to shoot with it needs to get dead, so who cares how hard that round hits it, the harder the better. me personally though i carry nothing but my XD9 for a backup and if i was going to alaska tomarrow its what i would bring for a back up, and i have a S&W500 sitting in my safe. the way i look at it 16 fast well placed shots and being able to reload quickly and getting another 16 is more lethal than 5 or 6 slow shots with even slower reloads. and 9MM will penetrate plenty deep too.

3. billbrasky

billbrasky XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +81 / 0

yep exactly.

a 44 mag is not overkill for a man, hog, or mountain lion.

never underestimate the power of adrenalin, the will of a savage beast to take you down with it as it dies, or a cracked out meth, PCP user to kill you for pocket change.

.44 mag sounds just fine for me, since i hear hogs have such a thick skin and fatty tissue, you dont want to mess around. They will take a shot, shake it off and die in a few minutes. In the mean time/3 mintues before they die, they will charge you, knock you over, and gorge you with their damn dirty tusks. Then you bleed out in the woods.

No such thing as to much.

as long as you can shoot it accurately, its just enough.

4. 300UltraMag

300UltraMag XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    yup hogs are tough as hell when i went down to SC on a hog hunt i got mine on the first day so i went on hunts with many other people in the camp and helped guide since i know them and their activity pretty well and people were shooting them in the boiler room with big 300's, and 338's that upon dressin DESTROYED there heart/lungs and they still ran far enough it took us a couple hours to track them down. luckly most of the time they will run from you but if i get one charging at me a M60 or M249 wouldnt be too much. i'd even consider a howitzer at that point.

5. mr1incred1ble

mr1incred1ble XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    I think it should be OK. They are just like big kitties. Maybe keep 1 or 2 rounds of 44 special in there, and the rest 44 mag in case it doesn't work. But then again, if you can manage the recoil, I'd just load up the 44 mag and forget the specials. Out in the woods, over-penetration would be the least of my worries. And what if a hog sneaks up on you unexpected?

That said, I'm not a revolver guy, so I'd have my G20SF loaded with BB ball ammo. 16 rounds of 10mm should work on those cats. They are small and move kinda fast, so I'd hate to only have 5 or 6 chances. I don't think I could reload a revolver very easily with a cat eating my face.

6. ichy_trigger

ichy_trigger XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Recoil and follow up shots only matter if you miss..lol

I would go with at least a 240 grain bullet and let the gun do its magic. if you want a real stopper and the gun can handl it, try some 300 grain hardcast.

7. shacobo

shacobo XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  8. yocan

yocan XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +51 / 0
    the first two rounds whatever you can handle FAST andn ACCURATELy, get rounds on target, next two whatever you can handle smooth and accurate, so not really fast but can get back on, that last round, who cares if you can['t shoot again get that to be the hottest thing on earth that you can handle as long as POI=POA and when X jumps on you put the muzzle in its ribs pull the trigger and you'll get a bullet going into it, thats friggin huge, and a powder blast hole 3 inches deep that will do an enormous amount of damage.

Yeah you already said all .44 mag for hog hunting good call. I've seen the results of a 500 lb hog taking a misplaced 30-06 (back half area, my brother isn't too smart sometimes) and charge him. a 180 lb without a heart from a 22 went 25 feet. I've seen one that took a 30-06 through the chest go 50 yards. But you already know how to handle that.

For mountain lions, I dunno never took a shot at one, and have never been charged by one. So umm... only times I"ve seen it you coulda used a scope and taken your time. But I would definitely like a g20 for a big cat.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2009