How often do you change your oil in your diesel vehicle?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by doubledup, Dec 18, 2009.

1. doubledup

doubledup XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got a 6.6L Duramax. I use shell Rotella oil non synthetic. I change my oil every 5 or 6k miles, anyone go longer intervels between changes? I have heard some guys wait until 10k miles to change the oil in their diesels. I change the oil every 5k in the wifes gasoline powered car. What say you?

2. katokahn99

katokahn99 XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 1
    I had a Volkswagon Golf TDI that had scheduled maint w/oil change every 5k for the first 20-30k and then every 10k after that. I think the first bit was break-in.

I loved that little car. I got 45-50 mpg; but, had to trade it off as my kids' legs were getting too long. That's what I get for marrying a tall blonde bombshell!

3. warchild69

warchild69 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The company i used to work for had a fleet of ford f-450s and 550s with the 7.3 powerstroke, we used amsoil in all of them and didn't change the oil until between 20- 25,000 miles. We used to change the filters about every 7500, or twice between oil changes. We never had a problem. But that was just our expirence. I'd say talk to your local parts store, or a bulk oil supplier/salesman, and see what they have to say. We also used to deal with Lubrication Engineers, or L.E. oils, and T.R.C. ( Texas Refinery Co.) Good luck!

4. Bultx1215

Bultx1215 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My Dodge Cummins is changed about every 7000 or so. Been working great as I have gotten great life out of my trucks. My big trucks are all on different schedules. Cummins had one on a 16,000 mile change. My CAT is pretty close to that....but then we are talking 6 gallons of oil, too.:rolleyes:

5. mdbullet

mdbullet XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In my International Paystar Concrete truck, Every 250 hour :)

6. 65Post

65Post XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    D/Max here, too. I run Mobil Delvac 1 full synthetic and change the oil @ 10K miles. The OLI usually shows about 10% of life left.

If I was running dino oil I would likely change it @ 5K.

7. 1852legend

1852legend XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My dad and I both run our Duramaxs until the computer tells us to change it. We also run Rotella.

8. Deer Slayer

Deer Slayer XDTalk 4K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +217 / 8
    I have a Yanmar 240d tractor, and change the oil once a year, regardless of whether it looks dirty or not. I know it's probably not even close to needing an oil change, but I do it anyways. I use shell rotella 15w40, and a fram oil filter (just so happens to be the same one as my bro's caddy!!!) which makes it cheap. It's just a little 2 cylinder 24hp diesel, but it does an AMAZING amount of work. Never seen a little tractor drag full size trucks sideways out of ditches before. I actually made a custom oil pressure guage fitting for it, and installed a temp sensor, with a volt meter. I also made a custom breather for the trans/rear axle so it can't get water in it. Pretty well made machine if I do say so myself.