How much per caliber?

Discussion in 'The Ammo Can' started by mercracing84, Jan 22, 2013.

1. mercracing84

mercracing84 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been kicking the topic around with my friends here. How many boxes of ammo should one keep in the safe per caliber? I currently have around 3 boxes per caliber, with the exception of 45acp which I have just short ok 1k. I would love to have 5 boxes per caliber, but I am approaching 15 different calibers so my funds are getting stretched a lot. Just wondering how much you guys have.

2. 2slow04

2slow04 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i usually keep a good 1500 rounds of target ammo and 500 rounds of self defense ammo

3. Damien111

Damien111 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you have to ask, you don't have enough. ;)

4. Sassafras

Sassafras XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 3
    Agreed, I look for some type of restrictions on ammo it they can't get a weapons ban through Congress. Probably through Executive order. Buy them as often as you can because they may not be available if BO and crew can swing it.

5. fedmanshooter

fedmanshooter XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds like you like to have alot of different caliber guns. Do you shoot them all on a regular basis? I would pick your top three or so and have target and sd ammo for these. The ones you dont shoot regularly just have a few boxes of sd ammo. For me I have reduced my go to guns to 4. They run 9/40/45 for pistol and 223/556/22lr for rifle. I try to keep 200 to 500 ea for sd and 1k to 2k for pratice.

6. Partinrn

Partinrn XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Right now things are tough. I have 500 rounds of target and 150 sd rounds for my .45. I have only fifty 00 shells for my 870, but I don't think shotgun shells will be going up a whole bunch. My lcr needs some love as I only have 100 .357 and 60 .38 +p for it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

7. Keltyke

Keltyke XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 1
    I buy my carry ammo whenever I see some. I reload my practice ammo.

8. Sadowsk2

Sadowsk2 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As much as you can fit and then some! :)

9. SmokedBMW

SmokedBMW XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1

I wanted to start reloading .223 but it's impossible to find bullets in stock. I have enough supplies for about 3000 9mm, but these are practice rounds.

10. dglock

dglock XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I don't have room in my safe for ammo, its full of guns!

I reload for all my guns and keep thousands of rounds on hand for the ones i use a lot.

don

11. fredj338

fredj338 XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Depends on how much you shoot. I may have only 100rds of 44mag but I try to keep 500 45acp at all times, I shoot that the most. If you shoot one caliber 1000rds a month, then you need at least twice that IMO,so you don't get caught short. Like dglock, I don't have room in my safe for ammo.

12. racincowboy3

racincowboy3 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    total I am up to around 3700 rounds... I am buying a box or two at the minimum a week of what I can find when I can find it

13. So.Chi.Gunny

So.Chi.Gunny XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well I base my ammo off of importance...I dont have much because ive done a lot of shooting but I do have 500 for my ar...for SHTF.. then a full mag for my .45 and 126 rds for my .40...if bad guy comes in all 3 are is close proximity...so im well prepared to hold down the fort.......

14. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy XDTalk 2K Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Like some have said, you only need a lot of ammo for those guns you may have to rely on for serious purposes... whatever you consider serious. As a reloader, I keep components handy for those things I shoot the most for recreation, but they are also my favorites for "social work" should it come to that. It's not the number of rounds that you may have available, but the number of magazines you can have full and their capacity ON YOUR PERSON that might be important should things become... strained. If the larger "standard capacity" of modern magazines were not needed, they would not have been invented. That is why limiting magazine capacity to some arbitrary number is fatuous. No one can predict what the "need" might be.

While it may be reassuring to have a large supply of ammo in your ammo locker, it is disastrous to have too few on your person. I would rather have a 16rnd magazine and only need 10, then have a 10rnd magazine and need 11! Counting on a quick reload from a pouch is certainly to be preferred to nothing, but flubbing a reload in an IPSC or IDPA match will not have lasting consequences, whereas should a fast reload be required in extreme circumstances it will.

15. BennyDude

BennyDude XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It probably says something about how often I shoot IDPA that I'm down to 1800 rds of 9mm FMJs and I'm starting to freak out about it. I'm just hoping I can get some shooting in before the Republic of Texas championship in May.