How much oil when cleaning

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by madav8r, Mar 24, 2012.

1. madav8r

madav8r XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Im new to XD's and polymer frame pistols in general. when i had my 1911 i was told its like an engine on the amount of oil it needs. so now i'm in the habit and probably use to much oil on my XD. How much should i use and will it be bad if it has to much? thanks

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. CdnInAz

CdnInAz XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    Ummm, you were told wrong on your 1911. Too much oil can attract crud, develop a lapping compound, which can wear. Also, heavy coating can create hydraulic pressure between moving parts, not good. I prefer a very very light film of quality grease on parts that rub others. Thin coat of oil, wiped off metal parts to protect. Same for xd, just fewer metal parts.

3. richeyo2

richeyo2 XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just light on oil not much needed at all. Wipe it down w/an oiled cloth.

4. Frontier Owner

Frontier Owner XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Really depends on the use.

I run my XD pretty dry, but with a bit of grease on between the slide and the frame along with light oil on the metal surfaces. Its my carry gun and I dont want an oil stain on my jeans. I have enough of those.
    My 1911 and AR, I run pretty wet, but they are mostly used at the range.
    Outside of hunting season, I run my shotgun wet, but clean it up and just some critical places on oil when I go hunting.

5. bigdave0924

bigdave0924 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    As little as possible to none. Personally I oiled mine when I cleaned it the first time and it hasn't had a drop of oil on it in about 1500 rounds just cleaned twice. These pistols run just as good if not better with no oil than coated heavily in the stuff.

6. apamburn

apamburn XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I always grease metal-to-metal contact points and light oil everywhere else.

This is my modus operandi for all of my weapons and I have never had a problem.

7. speedrrracer

speedrrracer XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I've run mine wet from oil and grease and I've run mine almost dry.

Nothing seems to bother it, but I will say that I'd rather not have it spitting lube when I pull the trigger, so I lean towards the "as little as possible to follow the guidelines in the owner's manual"

Very thin film of CLP on a few areas, and about two tiny drops of Gun Butter spread over all the metal-to-metal contact areas. A little goes a long way.

Having said that, if I were going to store it for a month or longer, I'd put it away wet.

8. Charlie Xray

Charlie Xray XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    There is a tendency to over-lube these pistols. They are better run nearly dry, especially the 1911.

CX

9. ktuluXD45

ktuluXD45 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What's the difference between oil and grease and why use both on the same gun? I've only ever used oil on my guns.

10. Ferrari

Ferrari XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm with everybody else... I use very little oil.

Now for a few things I do differently than some folks.

First off, when I clean my guns, I scrub them down with WD-40. I use it as a solvent, it's relatively cheap and very effective for cleaning things made of metal... it's value as a lubricant is a bonus.

When I do use oil, I use 5W-20 synthetic motor oil. I bought a quart of Quaker State for $5 a couple of years ago... used some... liked the results so I paid $5.75 for another quart... figure I've got nearly a lifetime supply... LOL...

Like everybody else, I use grease on the slides of my semiauto's. I paid 4 bucks or something like that for a tin of axle grease back when I bought the motor oil. Works great... bought a refill tube for a grease gun for about $2... figure I've got about a two lifetime supply of that.

I've also tried white lithium grease... didn't see any value... still got almost the entire tube.

I shoot my guns quite a bit, so I clean them every two or three months.

I also shoot cap and ball revolvers... the powder is corrosive so they get a total disassembly, thorough cleaning and light coat of oil EVERY time they are shot.

11. Crashagn

Crashagn XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hopps to clean, then put some rem oil on a rag and wipe and another rag to get the excess off. I use a q-tip and just barely dab the slide groove on each side and that it.

12. mingansr

mingansr XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i use GibbsBrandLubricant (.com). No oil, thus not a collector of dirt. won't gel in cold weather ( i live in wis. and will shoot at the range even in winter). leaves a few microns of the substance which will prevent rust. it repels water. will use nothing else. just IMO. i understand it's got some heptane in its mixture. haven't discussed that with my gun show dealer.

13. Boomstk

Boomstk XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is my method to a tee.

14. CVMA_Dutch

CVMA_Dutch XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On my XD, I use enough CLP to get the burnt powder off everything, wipe it off with a clean rag, then go over everything with an oiled microfiber cloth (one of those presaturated cloths). I don't grease the slide to frame groove, because there's no point in doing so when it's not metal to metal.

On my sig, it took a little more, cleaning, then wiping, then oiling each part, then greasing the slide... she sure was picky, and made sure to let me know if I missed something.

15. mountainbilly

mountainbilly XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Correct me if I am wrong but the slide does contact metal on the frame, the locking block area is metal. A dab of lubrication in this area seems adequate.