how many rounds do u test before your confident in your home defense ammo?

Discussion in 'General SA-XD/XD(M) Talk' started by donkin, Dec 7, 2012.

1. donkin

donkin XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    just curious how many rounds of your home defense ammo do you put through your xd/xdm before your confident in it?

1 box of 20? 2 boxes of 20? 100 rounds? 200 rounds?

when do you consider it a failure and would not use it? 1 jam in 50 rounds? 2 fail to fire in 200 rounds?

must it fire a certain number of rounds flawlessly before you decide upon it as your home defense round?

2. rotts4u

rotts4u XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is a good questions for sure. To me its not just a clear cut answer though but here are some factors I consider.

If it is a new untested gun I prefer to shoot a min of 50-100 rounds before I carry it at all. Not all of that has to be with the "carry ammo" in my eyes. IF the gun is one of those that feeds everything I stick into it then I may only test a few mags of the actual carry ammo.

If however I have a few hiccups in a new gun say with reloads I first try to find out why. Was it bad reloading if so no problems I move on. But if it is stove piping on feed that worries me. Failures to eject with reloads may be due to weak practice or reloaded ammo.

I have some guns that seem to feed anything so I dont worry much at all with them. With my new XDS I shot a couple of sessions with it cleaning between each one and then tested the carry ammo at about 15-20 rounds. It seems to feed anything so I didnt worry.

3. Gealousy

Gealousy XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I've never had a true failure in a carry weapon I've purchased... so I'm a bad vote.

Just lucky I guess.

But I suspect there are plenty like me...

That said I figure about 200 ball and 40 carry with no failures before I really call it good.

After that I figure odds are well in my favor it will go boom if I need it to.

But again, I've never had a lemon.

In a 200/40 scenario, I don't think I'd accept even a single failure to be honest. I'd be taking it back and looking for a reckoning...

- Gealousy

4. So.Chi.Gunny

So.Chi.Gunny XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wish I could carry...but I run a box or 2...sometimes I just buy 1 box of everything hp on the shelf...its pretty expensive but it was fun....and I figure if it will eat all kinds of ammo back to back mixing up ammo in the mag with rapid fire and everything...my xdm .45 functions flawlessly..1200 and haven't missed one beat...not too bad...

"ya know the favorite saying around here "play stupid games win stupid prizes"? once someone does something, they have a whole lot of personal responsibility they need to eat. sometimes its lead flavored with a thin copper shell."

5. donkin

donkin XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks for the feedback guys. the first stuff i ever fired through my xdm-45 was hornady tap fpd 230gr JHP and it severely jammed (slide wouldnt move, barely could eject round), so that made me really nervous... i am also testing out other jhp rounds.. today im trying the winchester pdx1 230gr JHP.

6. Steve9mmInMO

Steve9mmInMO XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I run a box or two of cheap target ammo (FMJ Winchester from WalMart usually) on a new gun to get a feel for it and give it a chance to break in a bit. I won't carry one that has had less than a box of my intended defense ammo through it - it feeds differently than the round ball stuff.

I would also recommend shooting the mag of carry ammo you've had in your gun every couple of months. I kept the same ammo in my .380 for a couple of months, and when I shot it after sitting that long, most of them wouldn't feed right. That was Hornady CD, it seemed that the inserts were binding up on the magazine. You also may get some set-back if you keep unloading and reloading the same road.

Plus it's an excuse to go shoot more. :)

7. grturner92

grturner92 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    if i have a failure in my carry ammo, i look for a new one

8. So.Chi.Gunny

So.Chi.Gunny XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I keep pdx1 in ally handguns...thats what i like the most...

"ya know the favorite saying around here "play stupid games win stupid prizes"? once someone does something, they have a whole lot of personal responsibility they need to eat. sometimes its lead flavored with a thin copper shell."

9. 1lowlife

1lowlife XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0
    I don't buy boxes of 20 for my SD ammo.
    Minimum 50 rd boxes, usually Ranger T.

After 200 to 300 rds of FMJ in any new pistol, if I can run a couple mags of my chosen JHP, I'm good to go.

My Glocks and Sigs eat anything I run thru them.
    But my 9mm 1911s can be a bit picky, but always cycle the Ranger Ts.:mrgreen:

10. Cuda66

Cuda66 XDTalk 10K Member

Kandiyohi County, MN--land of fields and lakes.
    Ratings:
    +47 / 0
    So don't run that load.

Look in the ammo can section. There are TONS of posts on this subject.

Does you XD run ball (FMJ) reliably?

11. amsurff

amsurff XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like to run 200 rounds of ball through a new pistol as a break-in, not sure the XD really needed it. If there are no problems then I'll start testing my self defense loads, of which I'll usually run at least 2 boxes of 20 through it. Plus every month I shoot the rounds in the mag in my pistol, clean it then put the back-up mag in the pistol and load up the mag I fired off and make it my back-up.

12. glighto11

glighto11 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I only "test" rounds when I try a new type/brand/grain of round. After that I follow the same procedure, being;
    When I practice I start by firing out all my loaded 'carry' mags, and then finish up with cheap ball ammo. After that I do a complete tear down, inspection, and lube. I load my carry mags with new carry ammo.
    I then load the gun and fire the first round and listen/feel the behavior of the gun. If that's good, I holster the weapon and am good to go until the next practice.

It's not for everyone, but that's my way of tending to business.

13. HoyaLawya

HoyaLawya XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I shot a box of 50 HSTs this weekend. I'm now satisfied they will feed and fire. They were very accurate too.

14. TBS1911

TBS1911 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I usually put a minimum of 250rds range ammo and 40rds defensive ammo through a pistol before I carry it.

Deus, Familia, et Patria

15. Bigpapacolt

Bigpapacolt XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Two Clips