How many/much beer(s) in one day indicate an alcohol problem?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by Learn2turn, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Learn2turn

Learn2turn XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am thinking that I may be a "functional" alcoholic because of my beer intake. I would like your help/opinion.
    I drink beer everyday, usually cheap Red Dog in 16oz cans.
    How many beers or how many oz of beer might indicate an alcohol problem in your opinions?
    If there is another determining factor to consider please list that as well. (EX: time of day for first beer, etc.)

Thanks,
    Chris

2. RichJ

RichJ XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    If you can't go 1 day without 1 beer, you might have a problem.

Try it and tell us how it goes.

3. mtcraigco

mtcraigco Super Moderator Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +73 / 0
    I've heard that a 6 pack a day is mild alcoholoism.

A better guide is if your are PRE-OCCUPIED thinking about your next beer or that you just NEED one right away.

When it becomes a focus of your attention to the detriment of your other responsibilities, it's a problem.

I'm no professional, but have known a couple functional alkys.

Doesn't make them bad folks, just good folks (at least these guys) with a problem.

Get help if you feel you need it.

Also ask family and friends what they think, give them permission to be honest.

Dont ask a buddy who out drinks you though!

LOL!

4. BigDinTexas

BigDinTexas XDTalk 1K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I am not sure of the answer, but if you are asking, perhaps you already know the answer. Has someone made a comment to you? Also, do you carry your firearm when you drink?

Besides, what may constitute a "problem" in my eyes may not be the same as the next joe... I know you asked for our opinions, but you know what they say about those... :) And it's 5 o'clock somewhere...

Don

5. bowl443

bowl443 XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    It's not how many, it's the 'why' and 'when' that will tell you if you have a problem.

6. SRD

SRD XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I have an uncle that drinks alot. Not when hes working or has to drive. But he likes his home made wine and drinks alot at parties. He is perfectly functional and fine when he doesnt drink he just likes it.

I think the best measure is can you drink without over drinking and does it effect anything else in your life.

7. stainless

stainless XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Perfect. If you are wondering yourself, others may be too. Kind of like pron - there are cases where it's obvious, but in other cases it's subjective to the individual. If your personal alarm is sounding, then you're close enough that you need to have a heart-to-heart with yourself. Even if you're not technically or officially an alchy, if you feel you are having too much, you are.

Been there, done that, backed off, and very happy for it.

8. Horoscope Fish

Horoscope Fish XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    IMO, when drinking begins to affect your day to day life in negative ways, whatever they may be and even if one is managing to "get away with it", you have a problem.

9. Biggie313

Biggie313 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Agreed with everyone so far. I have a kegerator and drink usually 2-3 mugs a night after work and school. I do not let it affect my work or school or relationship. As long as you dont miss work/underperform. Fixate on drinking, or get uncontrolable I think you are ok. Are you seeing any negative effects of drinking?

10. df34adfe34

df34adfe34 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Addiction can take many different forms with many things or activities. The main criteria is when it starts to negatively affect your life and your relationships with others.

11. Learn2turn

Learn2turn XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am thankful, there is some great advice so far, please keep it coming people.

Rich, I will try a "No Beer" day and report back here. Someone is probably laughing at that but I am serious.

Mark, I never feel like I NEED one but I do think about how nice it will be to have one. My wife does comment about it: "Your having another beer? or Why are you having a beer so early?" The latter comment is when the Formula 1 races or Football games come on at 11am. In my mind I have been up for 5-6 hours already, so I "justify" it. I admit, I have not taken a serious look at whether or not it is the focus of my attention, in this area, I may be prone to "fooling myself" that it is not my focus. I do accomplish my responsibilities, yet I do put off things that I wanted to do recreationally, like shooting and riding my motorcycle because I have been drinking. (seeing what I am writing here is painting a clearer picture for me)
    "Dont ask a buddy who out drinks you though!" LOL indeed. I have 2 main buddies I hang out with. One drinks more beer than me and the other drinks more MOUNTAIN DEW than I drink beer!:confused:

BigD, I do not go near the gun at all after cracking open the first can. That brings up a side question I've had: If I am drinking, have a home invasion and use my gun will I be F'ed in the courtroom?

Stainless, Am I alarmed or asking myself a responsible question or both, I honestly am having trouble determining which.

Horoscope, the only possible negative I can cite immediately is occasional emotional detachment. I have been attributing that to people surrounding me having different perspectives and beliefs, I have been shunned in my small social circle and labeled things like "conspiracy theorist" because of the topics I want to discuss that others don't. So sometimes, I feel "alone in my head" in rooms with people. This happens when I am sober as well.

Biggie, as stated I am smart/stupid enough to fool myself, excuse or justify having that first or next beer. Therefore I don't trust myself to determine that there are no negative effects, though, for the record, I don't think there are but I am perhaps the worst judge of that.

12. taylor6400

taylor6400 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I think "technically" there is a fixed number...i thought it was 14 beers a week constitutes normal drinking. Or 3 beers in one night (obviously not every night). I think thats the official stat...at least i think i read that. But more than 3 in a sitting is probably "binge" drinking according to the experts. Personally...i can have a beer or 2 whenever i want to and stop (which didnt used to be the case), but sometimes i just want to binge and then go at it with a fury. But i dont consider myself cracking my first beer for a game or when i light my smoker for the day to be a problem...but the number i have that follows that first one occasionally is obscenely high...

13. Fox1s2

Fox1s2 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Drinking is a problem, only if your not good at it.

14. XD-Generate

XD-Generate XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    If you drink every day you have a problem. If you can't go a day without thinking about it you have a problem. As stated above, the severity of your problem to you may be different then the next guy.

I had an incident last year that put the breaks on drinking for me. I still drink beers during football and when out with friends but have stopped the everyday consumption and hard liquor totally. Best part about the whole ordeal is I lost 20 lbs after I stopped EDC (every day consumption not carry..lol)

Good luck bro. I think you might already know what you need to do.

15. Wired

Wired XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Have to agree with these guys. If it starts to control your life and you are not free to not have a drink, you an alcoholic. Personally, I don't drink before noon, that's if I do drink at all.