How long will bottled water be safe to drink?

Discussion in 'SHTF/Survival&Disaster Preparedness' started by Motodeficient, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Motodeficient

Motodeficient XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How long can you store bottled water and still have it be safe to drink?

2. 84jeep

84jeep XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i noticed yesterday at the grocery that gallon jugs of water expired 2 years after bottling.

3. Ox1

Ox1 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not sure on your first question but I have heard it's bad to re-use the bottles due to something with the plastic.

4. wesw

wesw XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just keep the bottles away from a direct light source (ESPECIALLY sun light) and it's basically good forever. Reason it can go bad, is if the bottles are heated or hit by light, it can release poisons from the plastic into the water. If this is for a SHTF water supply, also consider water purifying tablets or filters.

5. texan_eagle_scout

texan_eagle_scout XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    The stores have expiration dates because they basically have to have them on any consumable product they sell. It's like margarine, it has a date. It's only artificially flavored whipped oils so as long as it's kept cold enough to prevent separation it shouldn't expire.

To my way of thinking eggs don't need refrigeration. They aren't refrigerated when they come out of a chickens @$$. All the salmonella and other problems from eggs are on the outside of the shell. Which is why some chef's will wash their eggs when they get them, and you never crack an egg on the bowl you are adding it to, because small shell pieces can fall in. (I do none of this of course.)

I have heard about the bottle thing. That's why everyone is making a big deal about the "BPA Free" bottles.

6. iCreek

iCreek XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If I recall there were issues with some real cheap bottled water, the plastic breaking down after years. But I agree that it should last a long, long time if kept out of sunlight. Even though we have a well, and spring water, I keep a few cases down in the basement on a shelf away from any sunlight or heat..

7. AZXD

AZXD XDTalk 35K Member

Ratings:
    +106 / 0
    My understanding is that as long as there are no contaminants (pathogens and such) storage life will be very long, depending on the container.

If the wrong thing is in the container ... It's gonna go bad.

Purchased water, was stripped of these bad things, and the containers were sterilized, before the water was introduced into the container and sealed ... If you're preparing your own, stored water ... Be very careful ... It's equal to home-canned food.

That's why there is a slap test you can preform n canned water ... If you know what to listen for, you can tell if the container is still sealed.

Concerning storage ... Contaminants grow under the right conditions ... Heat & light.

If it's a big concern, get a gravity powered purifier, and don't worry about storage conditions.

I've listed 2 Purifier recommendations here - http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/shtf-s...redness/158599-water-storage.html#post2567557

8. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Plastic will "contaminate" the water to some degree no matter what, and it will build up to the point were it tastes bad. I cant imagine it ever going "bad" to the point of killing you, unless there is a microbe that is eating the plastic inside. water is not an energy source, so for anything deadly to grow much beyond its initial level of contamination, it would need light or food.

9. john_bud

john_bud XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

You do know about the method of changing unsafe water into potable drinking water used in 3rd world nations? The one where they fill clear plastic bottles and set them out in the sun for a day so the UV light will kill the bacteria?

The "releasing poisons from the plastic" is liberal progressive tabloid pseudo-science. About the only way the plastic is going to kill you is if you eat it and the sharp edges cut your guts up.

10. Radio Relay

Radio Relay XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Yes exactly! IMHO ... All the hand wringing about plastic bottles is pretty much unwarranted. Then again, isn't most liberal paranoia?

11. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    Well, there is no doubt that something gets released from the plastic. I've tasted it many times. I doubt it would kill you, but I can't imagine its good for you. The latest paranoia was about baby bottles. an Infant will be much more likely to impacted by anything like that, so I think it is justified. I wouldn't call it paranoia in any case. There is a huge comercial interest to burry any research that would make plastic look bad. There has been some people that think that platic "toxins" contribute to the obesity epidemic. I don't doubt that either. I have 2 female cats from the same litter. One love licking plastic bags. she weighs about 3 times what her sister does.

in short, I believe it does have long term effects, but its not like I would pass on a glass of water that came from a plastic bottle if I was thirsty just because it came from a plastic bottle.

12. Radio Relay

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Well, there you go. Definitive proof.

I have one male and two female hamsters ... The male licks his butt all day long. The females don't. All three are fat... Now I'm stumped. Don't know whether to lick my ass, or not.

What about eagles that fly through con trails?

BTW I keep 20 gal of water on hand in plastic 5gal bottles. Change the water about every six months.

13. Groo

Groo XDTalk 10K Member

Ratings:
    +14 / 0
    no need to be a dick about it. I know its anecdotal evidence. I never claimed otherwise. Its also not the only anecdotal evidence on the matter I have experience with.

but by all means, lick your ass all day long.

14. DanTheEldest

DanTheEldest XDTalk 10K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +79 / 0
    My wife is a big researcher into "health" stuff of all kinds and ran across some pretty credible articles about BPA. We now buy BPA-free plastics for our 1-year-old and just in general. You might spend just a bit extra over a comparable item, but we live in such a chemical-heavy country whatever you can do to limit your daily exposure to this kind of thing is worth it. It's our choice....YMMV.

Let's also not forget about the massive infant formula recall(s) in China (very high levels of hormones) and other recent incidents to make the news. Sure, people are cashing in on the "plastic paranoia" to a certain extent, but the old adage of Better Living Through Chemistry has a documented dark side replete with corporate cover-ups and doctored studies. I choose to err on the side of caution when it's reasonable to do so.

15. Radio Relay

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Wow, you can lick your ass? amazing! ... I can't even see mine, much less lick it. Never would really try it, though. Not even anecdotally ... hamster laughs :rolleyes:

Such a bright boy. So sensitive and observant, too.
    ==========================

If you're thirsty, I doubt that drinking from a plastic container will come to mind. It's SHTF times ... you'll die long before you get cancer, anyway! ... geesh!

16. Gigantor

Gigantor XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Whenever I lick my ass I get a bad taste in my mouth.
    I don't want to eat anything after that.
    So, I contend that licking your ass actually promotes weight loss, not gain.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. texan_eagle_scout

texan_eagle_scout XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    [​IMG]

18. Pony Killer

Pony Killer XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am about as non-liberal as someone can be, but you guys are dead wrong about the "plastic toxin" issue being liberal paranoia.
    Heat and sunlight release chemicals from the bottle into the water. Dioxins are some of the main culprits. When I was managing a Biotech lab the lab director used bottled water for me to test my skills in chromatography. Believe me, there is vast difference in the levels of chemicals contained in properly stored bottled water vs. bottled water stored where heat and light affect it.

Just my .02, but I've run tests on this personally in the past.

19. Gigantor

Gigantor XDTalk 3K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Disposable water bottles are made of PET and do not contain BPA. They also do not contain, nor can they produce dioxins.

20. Black Eagle

Black Eagle XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Water purification tablets will not nulify dioxins, will they? Just deal with Bio threats?