how far do shotgun pellets travel?

Discussion in 'XDTalk Chatter Box' started by jednp, May 4, 2006.

1. jednp

jednp XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm curious, I've never really known how far a shot from a shotgun will travel. I know it's not FAR.. but what are we talking.. say you shoot almost parallel with the ground shooting skeet, are we talking 200 yards? Was driving around yesterday, turned into a park area to turn around and found a shotgun club and almost right behind the fence of the outter border of it, was a walking trail with people walking. I don't know how far out it was, it didn't look THAT far.. certainly more than 100 yards I think, but I'm not sure about 200 yards. Anyway for those who know, how far is safe to be having people walk beyond where you are shooting toward?

2. PackerfanXD

PackerfanXD XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    It depends on the shells. I hunt birds alot with 6 shot and 7 1/2 shot and depending on the angle of my swing, pellets can travel 100-200 yards give or take.

With a shotgun I'd think 200-300 yards would be a safe buffer zone. Maybe less if your shooting birds or high clay pigeons.

3. jednp

jednp XDTalk 4K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I wish I knew how far it was from where they were shooting, to the fence at the edge. It may be further than I think, who knows. I just saw people walking their dogs back there and thought to myself, wow that just doesn't seem safe, especially with them shooting pretty much right at the people with the angle they shoot at, and the slightly raised trail back there. I haven't hunted in years so I've kind of lost a feel for how far shotgun shots travel. It must be a safe distance at the club, otherwise I'm sure it wouldn't even be open. Just made me wonder with the people walking back there.

4. Brickboy240

Brickboy240 XDTalk 25K Member

Ratings:
    +322 / 4
    Actually, the average bird load, like the ones we use in our 20 gauges on dove hunts, is only effective to about 35 yards or so. I have been about 100 yards across a field, when somebody swung in my direction (no it wasn't Cheney) and the pellets hit me but felt like someone threw sand at me...it did not hurt or even come close to breaking skin.

We also shoot dove over a stock pond that is about 150yds from Dad's ranch house and regularly, someone swings in the direction of the house and in the many years we've been doing this, never have we had a broken window. Again, we all shoot 20 and 28 gauges with light 7.5 shot and open chokes (like IC, Skeet 1, etc.)...no heavy or magnum loads or 12 gauges.

Birdshot out of 20 and 28 gauge guns is pretty much ineffective after 35-40 yards and thats what most people shoot skeet with - a 20 gauge. Only heathens shoot skeet with a 12. Clays, yes, but skeet...is a 20/28 gauge game.

- Brickboy240

5. PackerfanXD

PackerfanXD XDTalk 5K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    The effectiveness of the load is about 30-35 yards or so, but the pellets will travel a quite a bit farther. Your right though, when 'peppered' from a distance, it's not a big deal unless a pellet hits you in the eye or something.

Brickboy, you wouldn't believe this farm I hunt dove on. I can limit out in 15 minutes. (We then drop off the birds to the illegals up the street and then go back to limit out again). It is dove heaven! :D

6. thirdtimesthecharm

thirdtimesthecharm XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

no fair, i have to work a little harder for my AZ dove.

7. mndelta25

mndelta25 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been peppered by my friends about 200 yards across a lake while shooting 3" goose loads from a 12 gauge. Like it was said before, it felt like sand, but it was cool to see their pellets dropping around our boat.