How do you use the jag for cleaning?

Discussion in 'XD Gunsmithing and Maintenance' started by wingnut1983, Oct 13, 2009.

1. wingnut1983

wingnut1983 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am a newbie with an XDm 9mm, I just recently learned what the round thing with the point on the end was in my cleaning kit...before I coudlnt fathom what that would be used for. So my understanding is you poke the point through the center of a patch and use it to clean the barrel...right?

How should you use it (properly)?

Thanks

2. VinnAY

VinnAY XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think that's what it's used for, I just push the patch through with it, inplace of the eyelet. I really haven't used it but on my .17HMR rifle because I couldn't find a .17 eyelet.

3. taylor6400

taylor6400 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thats pretty much all there is to it. My personal procedure is to use a bronze brush first...i spray some solvent either down the barrel or on the bruse and run the brush in and out a few times. Put the jag on and run a dry patch through a couple times to get the majority of the gunk out. Then run a solvent soaked patch through on the jag (once i push it through once i usually flip it and run it again) then a dry one with the same procedure till its clean. I usually get the barrel fairly dry at the end and then run a patch through with a LIGHT coating of CLP (not oil). This is my procedure for long guns more so than pistols. Pistols im not so picky...i just get the majority of the gunk out and carry on. I shoot my carry pistols too much to worry about being too picky.

ETA: with the jag you can only push the patch straight through, but if you dont push it out the end of the barrel you can run it back and forth in the barrel as long as you dont push it all the way through. I like the jag better than the eyelett because i think it puts more pressure on the patch and makes it easier to clean.

4. panther308

panther308 XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have tried a jag and don't really care for it I choose to just use a brush and patch puller

5. agalindo

agalindo XDTalk 15K Member Founding Member

Ratings:
    +25 / 0
    Pretty much as you posted, put the patch at the tip of the jag then push it down the bore. A jag clean much better than a patch puller. I use it to help remove lead, a good jag and a bronze brush will remove lead pretty fast.

6. dragon281tx

dragon281tx XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you wanna know the fastest way to clean the barrel, use a bore snake. It has never let me down. Just 3 run-thrus and your done. Takes like 10 seconds and it cleans it up very well. I do this after every range trip so the gunk is still loose and fresh. I dunno what it'd be like if you clean your gun every other range trip or so.

7. twice barrel

twice barrel XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A jag is especially useful on a muzzleloader. You center in a tight fitting patch and run down the barrel till it bottoms out on the breechplug. Then pull back out... and the patch usually will stay with it.

On barrels with chambers larger than the bore the jag will typically lose the patch in the chamber.

On modern guns with the ability to open the breech the jag is merely a way to cover the threads in a threaded ramrod so you can use it to clear the barrel of stuck items...like a loose patch or perhaps a stuck round in the chamber.

Or you can just push a patch thru one-way and not have to unthread it from the cleaning tip (slot).

Regards,

TB

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  8. cyberiad

cyberiad XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I push a slightly damp patch through the bore with the jag once or twice every once in a while. I only shoot FMJ so I don't use a brush at all.

9. FrankC

FrankC XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I fail to understand what that has to do with your bore getting fouled over time. I primarily shoot fmj through mine as well and I brush it after every outing and at least once a week in between, guess what I always go through about 3-5 patches for the mid week cleaning too. The reason you aren't getting much out of it is because you aren't brushing it.

10. florida boy

florida boy XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    bore snake works good but still run a brush thru it.

11. wingnut1983

wingnut1983 XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thats what I thought. I have been using the thing you fold the patch eyelet thing which I kinda thought was a pretty shotty way of doing it since it didnt really put much pressure on the barrel to 'scrub' at all. I will try using the jag next time.

I also heard from someone that you should use the brush but only once or twice through from the breech end only, is there any truth to that?

12. Shaniac

Shaniac XDTalk 1K Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yeah, I agree. A bore snake is worth it's weight in gold....I love mine! 8)

13. XDinTX

XDinTX XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    +1 On the Bore Snake

14. twice barrel

twice barrel XDTalk 100 Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Depends largely upon what you've been shooting. The brush assists in removing foreign metal fouling. Gilded metal (copper/bronze) adheres just as lead does. A rough bore collects more than a smooth bore so a new barrel may tend to collect more than one that has been lapped or shot into prime condition. Proper maintenance avoids developing pits which in time will also collect deposits and not go away.

Used properly, a bore brush will not harm the barrel. Some guns, such as revolvers do not provide access thru the breech so you must enter from the muzzle. If the chambering is for a round also commonly found in rifles (22 rimfire) its a good idea to get a bore brush for "pistol" since it is shorter and will often pass all the way past the forcing cone into the cylinder gap and permit the bristles to straighten and reverse.

A rule of thumb from so many years back I cannot say where it originated was---run a bore brush in and out one time for every 10 rounds fired when using lead and once for every 20 rounds fired using jacketed.

If you have neglected to use a bore brush for a long time and are concerned with fouling of the bore:

Get a cork that fits snugly in the chamber end of the barrel and stand it muzzle up. Fill the bore with Hoppes, Shooter's Choice, etc. type of bore solvent and let stand full for a couple of days. Dump it and swab with both soaked patches and bore brush it alternating every now and then and then rub it dry with firmly fitting dry patches until they come out completely clean.

Unlike powder residue, metal fouling of the bore may not be visible at all from an oiled patch cleaning.

Don't be overly concerned if you haven't been doing it, just start doing it and you will establish a well maintained bore over time. Even a well maintained bore will eventually deteriorate and with today's autos its easy to replace.

Hope this helps,

TB

15. LINK74

LINK74 XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I clipped this from Kleen-Bore but I would guess all of them say about the same thing.

Which Should I Use, A Patch Holder Or A Cleaning Jag With My Patches?

This is a personal choice usually based on cleaning frequency. Patch holders are an integral part of many of the kits that we offer because of their universal nature. A patch holder works fine for occasional cleaning and can be used to clean other calibers/gauges by changing the patch size, although they take more time to swab the bore as compared to a caliber specific jag. For frequent cleaning, jags offer a faster and more thorough job of bore cleaning. They work well to keep constant pressure on the entire inside wall of the bore for a quick and efficient cleaning. Kleen-Bore offers brass jags for rifle and handgun cleaning, and aluminum and Multi-Choke Nylon jags for shotgun cleaning. A bore specific cleaning jag accompanied by the properly sized cleaning patch will give you the best results.